Indians @ Sox 5/1--3:00 Central

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Laugh all you want. This is what teams woth post season aspirations do. Make sure they have the full team rested and ready at the end of the season for the post season. 

Nope only today counts but while I do agree with you I hope regulars get more rest in non division games but you would get the same complaints there too. But if McKenzie is truly terrible against lefties that does appear to be a good time to play the lefties. LaRussa is still experimenting with his guys and while some have the foresight to understand these things  there's no justification for the instant gratification crowd for ever playing subs when the regular is better or a prized rookie.

30 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Laugh all you want. This is what teams woth post season aspirations do. Make sure they have the full team rested and ready at the end of the season for the post season. 

This is just nonsense. After today, Leury Garcia will have 62+ AB's while Nick Madrigal will have 76.

The Sox have had TONS of days off recently. There is nothing more exhausting than this narrative that baseball players need tons of breaks. The best players might get 10-12 days off a year. That's two off days a month. Madrigal has sat twice this week. Also, guys are much more well rested in April than they are in September, and given how many off days the Sox have had it's just flat out laughable to argue that they need the rest.

LaRussa thinks that Leury Garcia is good and he's an archaic dope who is obsessed with L/R match ups like it's 1995. That's what is happening here and it's complete nonsense. Consistently putting bad players on the field is not a strategy teams with "post season aspirations" do.

Why would a young position player wear down? The Sox need to actually MAKE the playoffs before they prepare for them lol.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nope only today counts but while I do agree with you I hope regulars get more rest in non division games but you would get the same complaints there too. But if McKenzie is truly terrible against lefties that does appear to be a good time to play the lefties. LaRussa is still experimenting with his guys and while some have the foresight to understand these things  there's no justification for the instant gratification crowd for ever playing subs when the regular is better or a prized rookie.

Leury Garcia has a career OPS vs righties of .626 in 1158 AB's, but yes... let's get the "lefty" out there.

• Like 2

If this is some “feeling out” process with the roster, I guess we’ll see how it works out. Two with the Indians and Reds, hopefully we have 3 out of 4 coming. Next weekend in KC and the Twins after, I want to see a regular lineup most games and see the Sox bury these teams.

10 minutes ago, flavum said:

If this is some “feeling out” process with the roster, I guess we’ll see how it works out. Two with the Indians and Reds, hopefully we have 3 out of 4 coming. Next weekend in KC and the Twins after, I want to see a regular lineup most games and see the Sox bury these teams.

The Reds have a really good offense, they average 8 runs per game at home, fwiw.

16 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

But its ok for young top prospects to sit around and get stale so worse hitters can play.  GMAFB.

Getting stale only matters when players can play. You start your best players, period. The Sunday lineup is okay if it is just Sunday to give players rest in a long stretch. There aren't 3 Sundays in week though. 

23 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is just nonsense. After today, Leury Garcia will have 62+ AB's while Nick Madrigal will have 76.

The Sox have had TONS of days off recently. There is nothing more exhausting than this narrative that baseball players need tons of breaks. The best players might get 10-12 days off a year. That's two off days a month. Madrigal has sat twice this week. Also, guys are much more well rested in April than they are in September, and given how many off days the Sox have had it's just flat out laughable to argue that they need the rest.

LaRussa thinks that Leury Garcia is good and he's an archaic dope who is obsessed with L/R match ups like it's 1995. That's what is happening here and it's complete nonsense. Consistently putting bad players on the field is not a strategy teams with "post season aspirations" do.

Why would a young position player wear down? The Sox need to actually MAKE the playoffs before they prepare for them lol.

Put the name and number Eckstein #22 on the Madrigal jersey.

Played 158 games under TLR his second season in StL.

45 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It was over a 200 point difference last year in his 2020 games.   But this year, almost 600 points.  511 to 1.158.

362 difference for career.   But still just 11-12 games (one outing didn’t face any lefties.)

32 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

But its ok for young top prospects to sit around and get stale so worse hitters can play.  GMAFB.

No rational person could actually believe this. Leury Garcia has a career 68 wRC+ against RHP while Nick Madrigal has a 124 wRC+.  Nick has shown so far to be almost twice as effective against RHP as Leury.  Garcia is not good from the left-side of the plate and there are 1,142 plate appearances to support that.  I’m not joking when I say this, but Tony just not look at basic splits as insane as that sounds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

He's good to give the starters breaks. TLR has seen how young players who have never played 162 before wear down at the end of the season. He is giving them breaks early so they will be fresh at the end of the season.

This is the reason Mendick went down and Lamb and Garcia are with the team as I said earlier. Garcia can give Mandrigal, TA and Vaughn breaks. Lamb can give Vaughn, Moncada and Abreu breaks while also providing LH at bats.

Seriously? The Sox already had two days off. And they have two days off in middle of upcoming week. They don’t need any breaks

Edited by Vulture

Royals behind Duffy destroying the Twins and Shoemaker (their Rodon special), 9-0...only in the fifth.

Losing guys like Odorizzi and Hill has really put the Twins back on their heels. Maeda hasn’t been good, either. Also not sure why they gave Dobnak an extension.

Finally, I guess I have to take back my Mark Canha dig...must be doing something right to lead the AL in runs scored, right?  That also suggests he wouldn’t have been someone the A’s would have parted ways with so easily.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

That swirling wind is another reason not to have Lamb in the outfield.  At worst, put Leury there (if you don’t trust Vaughn enough) and Madrigal at second...

Definitely. Lamb's bat is nice to have against McKenzie, but you can't afford to have him screw up a routine fly ball to left.