Luis Robert grade 3 strain/torn Hip Flexor, est. out 12-16 weeks

Balta1701

In the first inning on May 2, Robert hit a ground ball to 3rd and stumbled just before reaching 1b. He fell behind the base and clearly was in severe pain from his right leg. He was carried off the field putting no weight on that leg whatsoever.

When you see an update, please post in here.

2 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

What's the best case scenario here? Pulled hammy?

Probably something like that. Our resident sports physician in the game thread suggested it was consistent with a hip flexor injury, which is probably mid June to July depending on severity?

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I don't understand the good news.evenif its mild, which it didn't appear to be, he is going to be out several weeks. He still could miss a couple of months.

If something had been broken in there it could have been his season, or even career damaging.

4 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

What is a hip flexor strain? 

The muscles that you use to lift your knee towards your chest are affected. Two weeks for a mild sprain, six weeks or more for severe.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't understand the good news.evenif its mild, which it didn't appear to be, he is going to be out several weeks. He still could miss a couple of months.

Bad news would be a tendon damage or big muscle tear which would mean season over. If it is "only" a few muscle fibres torn it might take only a couple weeks. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I get it could have been worse, but it also could have been take two aspirin and plays tomorrow. I’m with you Dick, it’s not good news. At best it’s on the better end of bad news.

Just now, Texsox said:

I get it could have been worse, but it also could have been take two aspirin and plays tomorrow. I’m with you Dick, it’s not good news. At best it’s on the better end of bad news.

I think he meant good news compared to what it could have been. I think he misses the month of May but it beats a badly torn muscle or ligament. Or a break. 

44 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Hate that my first thought there was the Bo Jackson injury (avascular necrosis) on a football field...but seems like hip flexor has to be it.

Praying for that, he’s my favorite Sox player in ages.

He only fractured the femoral head because there was a man hanging from his leg. Not the case here.