Luis Robert grade 3 strain/torn Hip Flexor, est. out 12-16 weeks

Balta1701

3 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

Is there a chance this could require surgery if it’s fully ruptured? 

I have no idea how much pain each “grade” of a hip flexor strain causes, but unless Robert is extremely dramatic, it sure looks and sounds like a grade 3 tear.  

To be fair, Robert winces during every single game even when nothing happens. Obviously it must have been painful, but it doesn’t seem like he has the highest pain tolerance in the world either.

12 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

I have no idea how much pain each “grade” of a hip flexor strain causes, but unless Robert is extremely dramatic, it sure looks and sounds like a grade 3 tear.  

ptatc said that this injury is extremely painful. 

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

ptatc said that this injury is extremely painful. 

Sounds weird for me to find that encouraging (I do), but I was just going off what I’ve read on a few medical websites. 

I will search ptatc’s posts to read any information provided, as I find his first hand knowledge and experience much more useful and reliable than a general website’s information.

E2C8484E-7B1D-40C0-9906-3C7B27CF7F0C.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sambuca said:

Surgery for muscles is rare. It's like trying to tie two pieces of spaghetti together. It rarely works and usually causes more scar tissue and its worse off.

If it's a rupture of a tendon like Jimenez than it can work. However I've never seen one from the major hip flexor, only the sartorius but that was in young soccer players and the growth plate fractured. 

Hip flexor injuries look bad because you can't lift your leg at all. It not like the hamstring where you can walk without bending your knee.

Edited by ptatc
  • Thanks 2

Possible good news on the Engel front, which will help if Tony decides to play him more than once or twice a week:

Len ditching radio for the entire week to cover for Stone on the TV side. Connor McKnight has been solid, but will still miss Len.

Two more worthwhile Stone tweets.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I guess we will have to see today Robert's prognosis before discussing this more. Just remember Engel was on the 10 day IL and his return has been delayed more than a month after that. The Sox will be very cautious with him .

Yeah I’m with you and think if we see him back early July healthy and effective I would be happy.  

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah I’m with you and think if we see him back early July healthy and effective I would be happy.  

I think early July is too conservative. Thats 9-10 weeks. I would think that late June is more likely a couple of weeks earlier than your estimation. However, it will all depend on the severity of what they find today.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think early July is too conservative. Thats 9-10 weeks. I would think that late June is more likely a couple of weeks earlier than your estimation. However, it will all depend on the severity of what they find today.

Also accounting for getting into a rhythm at the plate. He’s struggled in the past after having time away from the field.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also accounting for getting into a rhythm at the plate. He’s struggled in the past after having time away from the field.

I'm accounting for that. The injury is probably a 6 week rehab on the outside unless it is really bad. Then 1-2 weeks for getting into the rhythm. 

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

Talk about fixing the OF depth via trade/whatever else here:

This thread is for discussing Luis' injury. 

The outfield shortage (lack of depth) is a separate issue that existed  even before  Eloy was injured.

Not sure what there is to discuss about Robert's injury or Eloy's injury. Timetable to return?

1 minute ago, tray said:

The outfield shortage (lack of depth) is a separate issue that existed  even before  Eloy was injured.

Not sure what there is to discuss about Robert's injury or Eloy's injury. Timetable to return?

That thread is for continuing the discussion that was going on for 5 straight pages.

This is for updates on Robert's injury when we get them. We were at the point where we were talking about Lynn extensions, trading Crochet for Kris Bryant, Andrew Vaughn's playing time, trading Eloy for Ramiel Tapia, moving Moncada to RF and Jeremy Lamb to 3rd, etc.

None of that is Luis Robert's injury. It is (besides Lynn) about OF depth.

13 minutes ago, Quin said:

That thread is for continuing the discussion that was going on for 5 straight pages.

This is for updates on Robert's injury when we get them. We were at the point where we were talking about Lynn extensions, trading Crochet for Kris Bryant, Andrew Vaughn's playing time, trading Eloy for Ramiel Tapia, moving Moncada to RF and Jeremy Lamb to 3rd, etc.

None of that is Luis Robert's injury. It is (besides Lynn) about OF depth.

Jeremy Lamb most definitely is not a solution...

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Beginning to feel like the hour leading up to the Eloy announcement 

on the other hand, I find this type of tweeting obnoxious. That actually isn't information.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bmags said:

on the other hand, I find this type of tweeting obnoxious. That actually isn't information.

To me, he probably heard from someone with sources it’s a season-ending injury, just like Bernstein heard about Eloy.  These types of things leak quicker than trade stuff

• Like 1