Luis Robert grade 3 strain/torn Hip Flexor, est. out 12-16 weeks

Balta1701

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I have a bad feeling that Robert, Eloy, Moncada, and to a lesser extent Tim will constantly have these types of injuries. 

I think some day the training profession is going to figure out once and for all how to prevent hamstring injuries, which would save a couple of these guys. Whether that is a year away, 10 years or longer, who knows, but I think it will happen. They somehow figured out how to prevent a couple of pitcher injuries you used to hear about a few times a week now rarely do. Torn labrums and torn rotator cuffs.

As long as it isn't career threatening - that is all I care about. IF he misses the season, so be it - that is the way the cookie crumbled and this team is still good enough to get into the playoffs - but maybe the upside for the season is limited. It happens.  That said - maybe its a 2 month injury and that buys time that their July deadline includes adding a Robert/Jimenez type player in August with time for rust to come off.  

It sucks - and right now I am just going to hope for all the best.  This will put a lot more pressure on the rotation and pen though.  Lets not forget - entering yesterday Sox had 5th best winning percentage in all of baseball and 2nd best run differential.  This is still a real good team - although I tend to think Robert was their best player - so losing your best player hurts. 

The club also has flexibility - so lets not pretend that come June they can't make another move (maybe sooner - although i tend to think its hard to do this early, in general).  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I have a bad feeling that Robert, Eloy, Moncada, and to a lesser extent Tim will constantly have these types of injuries. 

There is a segment of the sports medicine population that thinks that in baseball where so much large ROM and powerful motion are needed that too many players are not working through full ROM for strengthening and are too strong in only part of the motion. Thus causing imbalances throughout the motions and increased muscles injuries. 

I do not know the strength and conditioning group well enough to know if that is what's going on here. However it looks like in this case it was the trip while running prior to the extension to reach the base that is the issue. He seems to have these issues. Maybe he's just a klutz?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

As long as it isn't career threatening - that is all I care about. IF he misses the season, so be it - that is the way the cookie crumbled and this team is still good enough to get into the playoffs - but maybe the upside for the season is limited. It happens.  That said - maybe its a 2 month injury and that buys time that their July deadline includes adding a Robert/Jimenez type player in August with time for rust to come off.  

It sucks - and right now I am just going to hope for all the best.  This will put a lot more pressure on the rotation and pen though.  Lets not forget - entering yesterday Sox had 5th best winning percentage in all of baseball and 2nd best run differential.  This is still a real good team - although I tend to think Robert was their best player - so losing your best player hurts. 

The club also has flexibility - so lets not pretend that come June they can't make another move (maybe sooner - although i tend to think its hard to do this early, in general).  

Calhoun from Dbacks would seem to be a pretty decent option - if the Dbacks fall out of contention.  Right now still 2 games over .500.  

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I think some day the training profession is going to figure out once and for all how to prevent hamstring injuries, which would save a couple of these guys. Whether that is a year away, 10 years or longer, who knows, but I think it will happen. They somehow figured out how to prevent a couple of pitcher injuries you used to hear about a few times a week now rarely do. Torn labrums and torn rotator cuffs.

Hamstrings injuries are tough for two reasons.

1. There is a very fast switch from concentric to ecctric motion at 2 separate joints in the hip and knee.

2. There are 3 muscles attempting to do this activity and the biceps femoris where most of the injuries occur is one muscle with 2 heads that have separate innervations  it's one of the few muscles like this in the body.

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Calhoun from Dbacks would seem to be a pretty decent option - if the Dbacks fall out of contention.  Right now still 2 games over .500.  

He just had to have hamstring surgery

Ptatc just recently sent me some stretches/advice for loosening up the hip flexors... Not that I expect to strain it from lifting, but this reminds me that I need to be more consistent with those stretches. 

I never really stretched my hip flexors correctly before, but golly are they tight. Definitely getting better. 

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Ptatc just recently sent me some stretches/advice for loosening up the hip flexors... Not that I expect to strain it from lifting, but this reminds me that I need to be more consistent with those stretches. 

I never really stretched my hip flexors correctly before, but golly are they tight. Definitely getting better. 

Since most people spend a fair amount of their day sitting (work or leisure) they are constantly in a shortened position and get tight on everyone.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Since most people spend a fair amount of their day sitting (work or leisure) they are constantly in a shortened position and get tight on everyone.

Can you send those to me too? I have a horrible hip flexor on my left side! 😆

On 5/2/2021 at 1:29 PM, Balta1701 said:

In the first inning on May 2, Robert hit a ground ball to 3rd and stumbled just before reaching 1b. He fell behind the base and clearly was in severe pain from his right leg. He was carried off the field putting no weight on that leg whatsoever.

When you see an update, please post in here.

The bigger problem is why are the Sox having so many muscle related injuries? Tim Anderson out on DL earlier with hamstring, Adam Engel still out with hamstring, Lance Lynn out with trapezius muscle, Luiz Robert with Hip Flexor muscle strain. These are all muscle related inquires that are due to a possible lack of proper and extensive stretching routines. Maybe Hahn should question the pre game stretching of the team under TLR and what involvement do these two Sox staff people have: Allen Thomas, Director of Strength & Conditioning and Ibrahim Rivera, Assistant Major League Strength and Conditioning Coach for the White Sox. 

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

It was actually just one stretch that he recommended, the lunge stretch. Seems to do the job by itself. If you do it correctly you definitely feel it in the hip flexors.

I've been doing the whole routine below (minus using the foam roller on my IT band and adductors). this isn't what ptatc recommended FYI, I found it on my own. Might be overkill, but I feel like it has helped with my lower back. I'm not PT though. Just a filthy pleb, so what do I know. 

https://www.defrancostraining.com/joe-ds-qlimber-11q-flexibility-routine/

Edited by ron883

16 minutes ago, ron883 said:

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

+1. It would be much appreciated.

Just now, ejm3 said:

The bigger problem is why are the Sox having so many muscle related injuries? Tim Anderson out on DL earlier with hamstring, Adam Engel still out with hamstring, Lance Lynn out with trapezius muscle, Luiz Robert with Hip Flexor muscle strain. These are all muscle related inquires that are due to a possible lack of proper and extensive stretching routines. Maybe Hahn should question the pre game stretching of the team under TLR and what involvement do these two Sox staff people have: Allen Thomas, Director of Strength & Conditioning and Ibrahim Rivera, Assistant Major League Strength and Conditioning Coach for the White Sox. 

It's not so much stretching as it is dynamic work at the end range. Passive stretching really is a detriment to muscle performance unless someone has a significant decrease in range. When working with muscles especially with runners, research shows the 2nd most predictor for injury is passive stretching.

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

It was actually just one stretch that he recommended, the lunge stretch. Seems to do the job by itself. If you do it correctly you definitely feel it in the hip flexors.

I've been doing the whole routine below (minus using the foam roller on my IT band and adductors). this isn't what ptatc recommended FYI, I found it on my own. Might be overkill, but I feel like it has helped with my lower back. I'm not PT though. Just a filthy pleb, so what do I know. 

https://www.defrancostraining.com/joe-ds-qlimber-11q-flexibility-routine/

That's perfect. As we discussed as long as you have the back straight and extend the hip, it will stretch appropriately.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

It's not so much stretching as it is dynamic work at the end range. Passive stretching really is a detriment to muscle performance unless someone has a significant decrease in range. When working with muscles especially with runners, research shows the 2nd most predictor for injury is passive stretching.

By "passive stretching" do you mean when you hold a stretch for 30 seconds for example? I believe what I am doing in the limber 11 routine (posted above) is mostly "dynamic stretches", if I'm not mistaken. 

That's perfect. As we discussed as long as you have the back straight and extend the hip, it will stretch appropriately.

Thank you ptatc! It's truly a gift having somebody with your expertise on this forum. Much appreciated. 

I still dont understand how a world class athlete like this has his hip flexor fucked to that point. Does this mean he was completely inflexible there? Or is it just terrible luck? He was full sprint, that seems to have been what did it somehow.

edit: im clearly in the denial/anger phase of the grieving process

Edited by reiks12

We are now talking semantics. The bottom line regardless of the terminology, some of the players could be stretched out better.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Totally agree! Moncada is always looking like a injury waiting to happen when he runs hard down the first base line. 

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

By "passive stretching" do you mean when you hold a stretch for 30 seconds for example? I believe what I am doing in the limber 11 routine (posted above) is mostly "dynamic stretches", if I'm not mistaken. 

Correct. The hold for 30 secs up to a minute is really a detriment to anyone who has full range. So stretching before athletic events really shouldn't be done and most don't anymore. You'll see more of the dynamic stretching with movements into the end range.