Luis Robert grade 3 strain/torn Hip Flexor, est. out 12-16 weeks

Balta1701

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No, I'm just noting that we're approaching the end of the business day and the team said there would be an update today. At the very least he had an MRI, so we should get some sort of statement.

FWIW, on the Score a little bit ago, they said with a day off today they probably won't make an official announcement until tomorrow.

Edited by manbearpuig

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

That's not going to last if Robert is out for most or all of the year along with Eloy. 

Abreu, Moncada and Anderson can't carry the offense by themselves. 

Abreu, Moncada, Anderson, Yermin, Vaughn and Madrigal are good hitters.  Eaton is serviceable.   Collins and Grandal will be fine.

That leaves the hole left by Robert.  Sucks that they may have to give up a young piece to fill his role.

If the bullpen figures their stuff out and the rotation stays healthy they will be fine.

1 minute ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Who? Leury? Hamilton? Lamb? Even if Abreu and Grandal step it up and play closer to their career norms I don’t think this team’s got enough to win the division if Eloy and Luis are out for nearly the whole season. 

With the Twins not being that good, at least so far.....they still have a chance. Cleveland isn't a world beater either and the Royals haven't played anybody yet. 

That still doesn't mean that if Robert is out long-term they shouldn't trade Lynn and Rodon. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

UCKF! - GIF on Imgur

It looks like this season is going to go down the shitter before it even really started. 

Hopefully Tony will quit, and hopefully the Sox can get something nice for Lynn and Rodon. 

He isn't gonna walk away. He's a proud man and a "Hall of Fame Baseball Person" who believes his way is the right way, who has the owners support and more importantly presumably has a multi year contract. He isnt gonna walk away from that money AND lose face at the same time. There is no pressure on him....at least not from anyone who has real power. 

RH and KWs opinions plus 75 cents are enough to get a mediocre cup of coffee. They no longer have any juice. 

He isn't going anywhere come he'll or high water.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

With the Twins not being that good, at least so far.....they still have a chance. Cleveland isn't a world beater either and the Royals haven't played anybody yet. 

That still doesn't mean that if Robert is out long-term they shouldn't trade Lynn and Rodon. 

No, it means exactly that. 

What if they still manage to contend up until the deadline? Why would you trade them?

Just now, manbearpuig said:

FWIW, on the Score a little bit ago, they said with a day off today they probably won't announce anything until tomorrow.

Possible, but nothing is stopping them from announcing the extent of the injury. They take off for Cincy in 4 hours. I doubt they play tomorrow night, btw.

2 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Who? Leury? Hamilton? Lamb? Even if Abreu and Grandal step it up and play closer to their career norms I don’t think this team’s got enough to win the division if Eloy and Luis are out for nearly the whole season. 

We need Tim, Eaton, Moncada, Abreu, Grandal, Vaughn, and Madrigal to play to their potential. If they do, the other two guys can just tread water. My post also was about pitching. We need the bullpen to hold leads and for the manager to do his job better. 

52 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Ptatc just recently sent me some stretches/advice for loosening up the hip flexors... Not that I expect to strain it from lifting, but this reminds me that I need to be more consistent with those stretches. 

I never really stretched my hip flexors correctly before, but golly are they tight. Definitely getting better. 

DJ mentioned Luis Robert works daily pre-game with the strength and conditioning coach on elastic resistance training equipment to strengthen his core and range. Ptatc has always been on point with his assessments as usual, but I was also grateful to hear DJ's immediate assessment (same as ptatc's) and input in terms of what players in general and Luis in particular due to work on their strength and flexibility. 

When I played football in my teens and 20s, I'd show up and play. Once I hit 30 and into my early 40s when I gave it up, my stretching and other pregame measures increased each year and time allocated about 5 minutes more added every year or two. Nearly a decade later, I currently don't stretch pre-walk (target 4.0-4.2 miles per hour over two hours in Summer, usually hit 3.4-3.8 miles/hour in Winter with the added clothing), but imagine I should and hopefully will begin working on stretching and light weight resistance training as well.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

FWIW, on the Score a little bit ago, they said with a day off today they probably won't make an official announcement until tomorrow.

Kinda crappy to give no updates today when this was their message during the game yesterday:

Why would they trade Lynn and Rodon that makes less than zero sense.  So you are punting on the season already?  Holy shit you really are just a troll.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's not going to last if Robert is out for most or all of the year along with Eloy. 

Abreu, Moncada and Anderson can't carry the offense by themselves. 

Even if Grandal gets going it might not be enough. The Sox only saving grace is that the Twins might suck this year even with Buxton going off. 

The Sox haven't played well at all and they are 15-12.  Yes. losing Robert for any extended period of time is a terrible kick to the nuts.  But the season isn't over and the division remains very winnable even if neither of Eloy and Robert play another game this season.  But go ahead and jump off that ledge and try to get everyone to join you, buddy.    

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

He isn't gonna walk away. He's a proud man and a "Hall of Fame Baseball Person" who believes his way is the right way, who has the owners support and more importantly presumably has a multi year contract. He isnt gonna walk away from that money AND lose face at the same time. There is no pressure on him....at least not from anyone who has real power. 

RH and KWs opinions plus 75 cents are enough to get a mediocre cup of coffee. They no longer have any juice. 

He isn't going anywhere come he'll or high water.

That is the major problem since he does have the support of the owner. Let's face facts, if Reinsdorf didn't get involved with such a stupid decision, Hahn would have never hired LaRussa. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox haven't played well at all and they are 15-12.  Yes. losing Robert for any extended period of time is a terrible kick to the nuts.  But the season isn't over and the division remains very winnable even if neither of Eloy and Robert play another game this season.  But go ahead and jump off that ledge and try to get everyone to join you, buddy.    

You are right the Sox haven't played well yet. But the schedule also gets more difficult and the matchups less favorable. So if we play better we still may end up treading water because of the schedule. To become a division favorite again with the injuries this bullpen needs to be lights out without question. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

DJ mentioned Luis Robert works daily pre-game with the strength and conditioning coach on elastic resistance training equipment to strengthen his core and range. Ptatc has always been on point with his assessments as usual, but I was also grateful to hear DJ's immediate assessment (same as ptatc's) and input in terms of what players in general and Luis in particular due to work on their strength and flexibility. 

When I played football in my teens and 20s, I'd show up and play. Once I hit 30 and into my early 40s when I gave it up, my stretching and other pregame measures increased each year and time allocated about 5 minutes more added every year or two. Nearly a decade later, I currently don't stretch pre-walk (target 4.0-4.2 miles per hour over two hours in Summer, usually hit 3.4-3.8 miles/hour in Winter with the added clothing), but imagine I should and hopefully will begin working on stretching and light weight resistance training as well.

Really don't need to stretch as long as you work full range light weights. Saves workout time to work on more important cardiovascular issues as we age.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't disagree, however there will be no world series this year without Eloy/Robert so might as well try to get something for Lynn and Rodon. 

Rodon said that he never considered signing anywhere else this winter, so hopefully they can keep him now that he looks to have turned the corner with injuries and command issues. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

You are right the Sox haven't played well yet. But the schedule also gets more difficult and the matchups less favorable. So if we play better we still may end up treading water because of the schedule. To become a division favorite again with the injuries this bullpen needs to be lights out without question. 

Who exactly is the division favorite in your mind then?  The 10-16 MN Twins who look terrible, or are you suddenly now crowding the Royals division favorites when they've played the easiest schedule in MLB so far?  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It's winnable because Cleveland let it be. Hate to say it, but if Cleveland wanted the division it would have been theirs. If they hadn't given away Clevinger and Lindor and let Santana walk, they'd have been the best team in the division, with us losing Jimenez and now possibly Robert. But since Cleveland did what they did, we can still hang around?  Let's hope Robert isn't gone too long. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I don't disagree, however there will be no world series this year without Eloy/Robert so might as well try to get something for Lynn and Rodon. 

Rodon said that he never considered signing anywhere else this winter, so hopefully they can keep him now that he looks to have turned the corner with injuries and command issues. 

All depends on who they plan on keeping. I wouldn't sign Rodon to a long term deal even if he continues like this. Just too risky.