Luis Robert grade 3 strain/torn Hip Flexor, est. out 12-16 weeks

Balta1701

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Obama is next in terms of blame

Had to go there, lol...polarization of the message board over the next year, begin.

Eventually, we have to figure out as how much insurance money the club is receiving for Jimenez and especially Robert on the shelf most of the season.  Usually, it’s 40-60%.

There really should be no excuses for not taking on a player like Starling Marte, David Peralta, Gregory Polanco...from cash strapped trams out of contention.

Otherwise, we will have “rebuild the rebuild” by dealing assets this year threads popping after every loss to divisional rivals when/if we haven’t done something to address the losses...discussions on Lynn, Hendriks, Rodon, even Abreu.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

There's basically no reason for me to watch games or emotionally invest at all. I mean it's one thing to say 2021 is gone. 

It's another to say "oh and BTW we can't guarantee he will be the same even though you waited 4 months for him to return"

So why am I watching then? 

Why did we put up with the rebuild for? 

Where's the payoff? 

What am I supposed looking forward to? 

I can take the loss of the season. I can't take the long term issue.

Injuries can derail even the best plans. The pitching staff is worth watching. Scoring will be at a premium now for this team. Abreu unfortunately will probably press even harder now. He may swing at pickoffs to first.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

It sucks if this impacts him long term, but this offseason would be when JR has to stop acting cheap and bring in significant talent.

I think we all need to accept that it hasn't happened in his 40 years of ownership and isn't going to happen next year.  He will not pony up the money to put this team over the top.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't think either career will be threatened. Robert is still young and has a world class team watching him. 

Yeah, and he's an elite athlete. It's rare for an injury to a young guy to actually destroy their career.

Hell we heard Tatis was in big trouble and could be impacted for life like 3 weeks ago and now he's smashing dingers and looking good. I'd be hesitant before worrying about serious impacts.

Modern medicine and rehab do wonders. I'd guess Luis is absolutely back to his normal self in 5-6 months.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

I dont think jimenez career is threatened by injury - Roberts maybe... but even that is specultion.

Jimenez will not have a long term impact.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'll say this, career ending or hampering injuries just aren't all that common with modern medicine and rehab. I would be shocked if he doesn't come back 100% and good to go; as long as they allow him to fully heal and rehab properly. Not a doctor, but just my take after seeing most doom and gloom turn into much less career-impacting than it may have been 20 years ago.

That Burger is is still playing competitive baseball is insane. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, and he's an elite athlete. It's rare for an injury to a young guy to actually destroy their career.

Hell we heard Tatis was in big trouble and could be impacted for life like 3 weeks ago and now he's smashing dingers and looking good. I'd be hesitant before worrying about serious impacts.

You can't guarantee it but the injury to Robert is very different. You can't fix it with surgery like you could with Tatis if necessary.

Just now, ptatc said:

You can't guarantee it but the injury to Robert is very different. You can't fix it with surgery like you could with Tatis if necessary.

They couldn't fix tatis shoulder with surgery though. That was the thought.

I get 100% where you're coming from, but if you could wager on this I would bet my house that Robert comes back 100%. You just don't see injuries like this derail careers in the modern world of athletics. Doom and gloom is normal now, but the kid will be OK. He works hard, has an incredible build and will bounce back.

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Maybe I'm not understanding something. NotCishek also referenced the long term issue with speed and then said this would be a good reason for surgery.

So the long term risk is eliminated if there is a surgery? 

Ptatc?

No. It depends where the injury is, if surgery will help. With a mid-substance tear, surgery is iffy regardless.

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

He might be up this season at the rate we’re going.  Or Sheets.  Alas, neither can or should play CF.

This is where we needed to target Profar in the offseason, to have a jack of all trades/Swiss army knife you can competently cover any position with for longer term.

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Justin Fields. 

Until he gets Johnny Knoxed in the end zone scoring on a 99 yard run. 

I'm a Packers fan so let's not talk about football kthxbye

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Burger tore his Achilles Tendon TWICE, doing that once 20-30 years ago was a death sentence. He's been back playing competitive baseball for months so not sure what this means. The fact that he's back and has looked pretty solid says all you need to know about medical advancements. and jake burger was not the physical specimen that luis robert is.