Luis Robert grade 3 strain/torn Hip Flexor, est. out 12-16 weeks

Balta1701

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They couldn't fix tatis shoulder with surgery though. That was the thought.

I get 100% where you're coming from, but if you could wager on this I would bet my house that Robert comes back 100%. You just don't see injuries like this derail careers in the modern world of athletics. Doom and gloom is normal now, but the kid will be OK. He works hard, has an incredible build and will bounce back.

The problem is you don't see injuries like this. I've never seen one in over 30 years. He will come back but I would bet my house it's 100%. The odds are he will but it's not a slam dunk.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

He might be up this season at the rate we’re going.  Or Sheets.  Alas, neither can or should play CF.

This is where we needed to target Profar in the offseason, to have a jack of all trades/Swiss army knife you can competently cover any position with for longer term.

There's not much insulation from losing 2/3rds of your Of for the season, especially when they're both potentially among the best players in the game. It sucks, but nobody can plam for this significant of a loss. 

12 minutes ago, TitoMB345 said:

I don't even know why I like sports. It's so god damn frustrating being a sports fan. A decade of being a literal dumpster team; finally someone comes in and does a real rebuild! 4-5 years of rebuilding leads to.. COVID-19 and INJURY-20. Thanks!

It made me laugh but hammer smashed the nail real good. Don't forget the CBA could be crazy too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Burger tore his Achilles Tendon TWICE, doing that once 20-30 years ago was a death sentence. He's been back playing competitive baseball for months so not sure what this means. The fact that he's back and has looked pretty solid says all you need to know about medical advancements. and jake burger was not the physical specimen that luis robert is.

I was agreeing with you. 

Robert still stealing Eloy’s thunder. 

Remember the Seinfeld when George gets a toupee and he’s filled with newfound happiness and optimism. That was 2020 Sox. 
Now remember when Elaine threw his toupee out the window and he was almost relieved to be insecure, miserable, “like a bald again?” That has been 2021 Sox. I feel like a Sox fan again. 

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The problem is you don't see injuries like this. I've never seen one in over 30 years. He will come back but I would bet my house it's 100%. The odds are he will but it's not a slam dunk.

And i get you comparing recovery to a normal person because that's what research and info tells us, but it also tells us that athletes of this caliber with this rehab and training programs, and these body types, just have a way of healing faster and more efficiently than people like me and you.

And nothing is a slam dunk - especially with surgery involved - but for all the pessimism going on I think it's not warranted. He'll be Luis in 6 months. Sometimes these guys heal even quicker, but I'd rather they don't rush him back obviously.

14 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Season is over. there is no way to sugar coat this. 2/3 of your outfield and the true potential stars may both have their careers compromised as well. Lovely start to this contention window. FML. 

It started last year. Now you are just seeing the reasons why I wanted to maximize last year. COVID, injuries , LaRussa. Jerry, upcoming CBA and who knows what else to come this season.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You can't guarantee it but the injury to Robert is very different. You can't fix it with surgery like you could with Tatis if necessary.

The amazing thing is that playing with such a nagging injury his entire professional career hasn’t held him back for more than a 10 game DL stint.  So many real doctors were saying he was going to have to get surgery and be out the entire season.  That said, it can certainly happen again, not sure if the shoulder harness underneath will 100% prevent it.

Also, Robert was our future Mike Trout one month into 2020.

Future...potential...sky unlimited.   This is even more devastating than Kopech because a speed based player without that explosion loses some of his defensive advantage and baserunning.  Then he’s just a classic swing and miss player with 30-40 homer potential, but the hips certainly won’t help his swing, either.  Pitchers usually come back from at least one TJS, and you almost expected it with how he was trying to throw harder and harder back then, it was like an obsession.  Now he’s a lot more mature and has some clarity on dialing it back to protect his future, but not sacrificing the competitiveness.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

We’re going to win with speed, defense and pitching according to Stoney. Problem is they just lose their best speed and defense guy.  Can’t wait for even more bunting now.

Billy is god awful offensively, but he might be the best defensive center fielder in the game when he's out there - him or Bux.

This was the ONLY team I had which actually gave me something to look forward to. Every other team i support had no realistic chance to consistently win for the next few years. It was only the Sox. 

Now I have nothing. The Penguins might have one more deep playoff run left in them given their current record but the core is aging and it's pretty much done. The Broncos have no QB and even a Rodgers trade is just 2 good year run where you sacrifice alot of picks and the long term which I don't want to do. The Hurricanes will not be going to the CFP anytime soon with Clemson in the ACC.

There's nothing to look forward to. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TitoMB345 said:

I don't even know why I like sports. It's so god damn frustrating being a sports fan. A decade of being a literal dumpster team; finally someone comes in and does a real rebuild! 4-5 years of rebuilding leads to.. COVID-19 and INJURY-20. Thanks!

So much this.

• Like 1

So, one thing that has been bugging the hell out of me... why did Robert have to get carried off the field? Do they not have carts for injured players like in football?? That was insane watching him get carried off when he obviously couldn't put an ounce of weight on his leg.

Edited by TitoMB345
baseball -> football

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

We’re going to win with speed, defense and pitching according to Stoney. Problem is they just lose their best speed and defense guy.  Can’t wait for even more bunting now.

That's what bums me out the most.  The Sox finally got a prospect who could play elite defense and now his speed is likely to be severely diminished.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TitoMB345 said:

And my friend just showed me a pic of Schwarber getting carted off.. did we trade the cart in the offseason or something?

They included it in the international slot money trade with the Rangers

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

This was the ONLY team I had which actually gave me something to look forward to. Every other team i support had no realistic chance to consistently win for the next few years. It was only the Sox. 

Now I have nothing. The Penguins might have one more deep playoff run left in them given their current record but the core is aging and it's pretty much done. The Broncos have no QB and even a Rodgers trade is just 2 good year run where you sacrifice alot of picks and the long term which I don't want to do. The Hurricanes will not be going to the CFP anytime soon with Clemson in the ACC.

There's nothing to look forward to. 

I hear you.  With Iowa, we get Jason Bohannon back and key transfers out to watch his kid play PG (while homegrown DJ Carton went to OSU and Marquette.) Kirk Ferentz boring and predictable offenses, with plenty of jailbreak screens mixed in with athletic department and program wide accusations of racism. 

If my dad didn’t go to Oklahoma, there would never be a shot at any national championship but wrestling in the major sports. Ever.

Then the White Sox.

The Dolphins for the last twenty years, pretty much gave up on them and adopted the Chiefs when I moved to KC.

Still not the same feeling...more of a feeling happiness for those fans who suffered so long and what it meant to the city.

NBA was Dr. J 76ers and then Bulls with Jordan, have hardly watched a full game since he retired.  Maybe some of the most important NBA Finals games.

I’m sure my friend who loves the Cubs will be trolling me today after how confidently the offseason started...and with the Cubs’ run slowly fading to black without enough pitching.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

Robert still stealing Eloy’s thunder. 

Remember the Seinfeld when George gets a toupee and he’s filled with newfound happiness and optimism. That was 2020 Sox. 
Now remember when Elaine threw his toupee out the window and he was almost relieved to be insecure, miserable, “like a bald again?” That has been 2021 Sox. I feel like a Sox fan again. 

Are we gonna hang Robert's jersey in the dugout now? 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

There's not much insulation from losing 2/3rds of your Of for the season, especially when they're both potentially among the best players in the game. It sucks, but nobody can plam for this significant of a loss. 

I agree, no team can cover that. Still I think it was a mistake to not get at least one guy after the eloy injury because you could not have assumed that Vaughn is acceptable out there. Vaughn could have flopped defensively and then you would have needed another guy anyway.

The roster was quite imbalanced to begin with due to all the 1b/DH guys and really the outfield was Robert, Eaton, a utility infielder and a very slow first baseman. That is not a good recipe.

Regarding Robert I'm sure he will come back strong.

Edited by Dominikk85