Luis Robert grade 3 strain/torn Hip Flexor, est. out 12-16 weeks

Balta1701

1 hour ago, Sambuca said:

Does anyone have any potential more positive possibilities?

Is there a chance they are being ultra conservative and see a better prognosis after some time or with a second opinion?

Is it possible he could recover better and quicker than they are expecting?

Is it possible this will not affect him long term whatsoever? 

0RUkY8z.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

No this is research on athletes.  This is where i go for information. Of course it's always possible.  I'm not a pessimist. I only go by experience and what the literature says. This injury never happens and they have no idea exactly what they are going to do. 

The only examples I could find were both from 2013 nba season, David Lee and Carl Landry. Both were age thirty and came back the next season, but Lee was never a starter again

2 minutes ago, Vulture said:

The only examples I could find were both from 2013 nba season, David Lee and Carl Landry. Both were age thirty and came back the next season, but Lee was never a starter again

Makes sense. I've never seen one and there is no literature on it in the sports medicine research.

There is for milder strains but not grade 3.

11 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Some sources are saying he’s out for the year. My impression is a broken bone would be far more favorable.

If this were a broken hip, or femur, I'd have big time concerns. I have way too much faith in modern medicine and rehab. I was told I would never be able to lift my arm above my head consistently again at one point. I'm playing "no ceilings" in my living room with the bass turned way up!

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If this were a broken hip, or femur, I'd have big time concerns. I have way too much faith in modern medicine and rehab. I was told I would never be able to lift my arm above my head consistently again at one point. I'm playing "no ceilings" in my living room with the bass turned way up!

Fractures are far less of a concern. Thise heal easy unless you have osteoporosis. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tray said:

Is Yoelqui Céspedes healthy?  If so, call him up and tell him to put his shoes on, he 's comin' to the Big Show to play CF.

While this is a thought...his cousin or potentially Puig have to be in the equation I guess. 

15 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I'm still trying to figure out how this happens to a young athlete running. 

It was the trip and the awkward reach afterwards. 

4 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

1/10000000000000000000 chance this happens

Sounds like the Jared Mitchell injury, Quentin hitting the bat with his hand in frustration and breaking the hamate bone...although not as freaky as the Luzardo one over the weekend.

Then you have the Burger double Achilles' tears.

Hard to know what to say...we always claimed our competitive advantage or niche was Herm Schneider and keeping players on the field of play more than any other team in baseball.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Man, I wish it was allowed for recovering from serious injuries. Oh well

I'm going to guess we will hear him getting PRP or stem cell insertions for this. They will help stimulate the healing process.

• Thanks 2

This just breaks my heart. It makes me feel like White Sox fans can’t have anything special. I really really believe Robert would be the best player in franchise history. 

Hope he is doing alright - but this is right there with Drose acl in terms of punch in the gut as a fan. 

That said - Robert is young and a freak athlete - hopefully he will get through this and get all the way back to 100% and this ends up being a small blip on his way to greatness!!!! 

• Haha 1
  • Love 2

People have been jumping all over the White Sox training staff, but I'd like to share this from The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/2562755/2021/05/03/stark-what-we-learned-in-april-offense-is-at-1968-levels-or-worse-but-must-watch-performances-are-everywhere/

April is a month where you really see a lot of soft tissue injuries,” Conte said. “Oblique. Hamstring. Groin. Quad. You see those a lot. And over the years, the highest percentage of those occur in April.”

2 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I'm still trying to figure out how this happens to a young athlete running. 

its like if you trip on the ice or something.... sometimes when you trip you are at the mercy of physics

usually you dont get hurt super seriously.. but every now and then - shit goes the wrong way.

not to mention- if you are moving faster and trip... could be worse.

and robert moves faster than most humans

Edited by harkness99

6 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

This was the ONLY team I had which actually gave me something to look forward to. Every other team i support had no realistic chance to consistently win for the next few years. It was only the Sox. 

Now I have nothing. The Penguins might have one more deep playoff run left in them given their current record but the core is aging and it's pretty much done. The Broncos have no QB and even a Rodgers trade is just 2 good year run where you sacrifice alot of picks and the long term which I don't want to do. The Hurricanes will not be going to the CFP anytime soon with Clemson in the ACC.

There's nothing to look forward to. 

How the heck did you become a fan of all these teams? Did you just close your eyes and throw darts at a map of the US?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

They got DHs who can only play first base and outfielders who can't hit...

Reinsdorf sat on his wallet and did nothing when Eloy went down. Now, he'll see this as justification to do nothing and really double-down.

TLR no longer a push-button manager...YIKES !

FUHGEDDABOUDIT !!

Edited by GradMc

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

This just breaks my heart. It makes me feel like White Sox fans can’t have anything special. I really really believe Robert would be the best player in franchise history. 

Hope he is doing alright - but this is right there with Drose acl in terms of punch in the gut as a fan. 

That said - Robert is young and a freak athlete - hopefully he will get through this and get all the way back to 100% and this ends up being a small blip on his way to greatness!!!! 

Don't worry LR will meet and surpass all our wildest expectations.

Edited by GradMc

Now setbacks are popping up everywhere....inexplicable.

Reynaldo Lopez out for 2-3 weeks due to corneal corrections.

Odds that a White Sox starting pitcher gets injured just increased 75% based on the way this entire snake bitten season is going so far.

When this came out I just took it at face value (12-16 weeks) and was just firmly committed to still just enjoying this season and reminding myself when a sox year comes together (like yes, even last year) to remember to enjoy it because so many years are like this, where your strength going into the year just gets eviscerated by the baseball Gods.

But reading ptatc this is just such a killer. I think it's good to know that uncertainty and he could well recover but it's a huge unknown which is crazy in sports injuries.

My biggest thing I keep thinking of is how freakin excited I was last March to watch luis robert play center, and how I have not and may not be able to watch that luis in center ... ever.

But maybe this is Robert's Mickey Mantle moment (blown out knee in 51 series where he probably played on a torn ACL for his 17 year career). A setback from the star he was going to be, but still has so much athletic and baseball talent oozing out of every pore that it just reconnects to form a different kind of hall of fame baseball player.