Luis Robert grade 3 strain/torn Hip Flexor, est. out 12-16 weeks

Balta1701

26 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I don't want him back if Yermin is mashing. I have doubt he will be better than Yermin this year after the long layoff from baseball and conditioning. He'll need to get his strength back and get back in his groove. I just don't think he will be able to jump right into it and be better than Yermin. If Abreu is still garbage, then maybe Eloy will be better than him off the bat.

Still way too premature to say that, on both sides.

Jimenez was/is almost a generational talent as a hitter.  It’s unlikely he sits, especially with the lack of pop we’re currently getting from the outfield.

29 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I don't want him back if Yermin is mashing. I have doubt he will be better than Yermin this year after the long layoff from baseball and conditioning. He'll need to get his strength back and get back in his groove. I just don't think he will be able to jump right into it and be better than Yermin. If Abreu is still garbage, then maybe Eloy will be better than him off the bat.

Odd man out will be Vaughn if Yermin is mashing. Eloy us expected to be back in early August. No way they don't bring him back to get his feet wet before the playoffs. 

18 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Odd man out will be Vaughn if Yermin is mashing. Eloy us expected to be back in early August. No way they don't bring him back to get his feet wet before the playoffs. 

Oh wow, for some reason I thought Eloy was due back later, like sometime in September. That's great to know. Eloy-Robert-Vaughn OF confirmed. 

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Oh wow, for some reason I thought Eloy was due back later, like sometime in September. That's great to know. Eloy-Robert-Vaughn OF confirmed. 

They upgraded his timetable after the second opinion. If rehab goes well he should have over a month of full baseball at least. 

3 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

They upgraded his timetable after the second opinion. If rehab goes well he should have over a month of full baseball at least. 

I didn't hear this, that is great news.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yeah. He should be back in mid-August depending on how much of a rehab assignment they do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Be really nice to get them at least September to get back into the groove before the playoffs.

I would say Jimenez most likely and Robert probably.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

There were 666 replies in this thread so i wanted to add an empty comment as to avoid any bad luck.

Thank you...I'll take care of the 5 Our Fathers and 4 Hail Marys just in case.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Every time I see a new reply I hope for good news.  

Off crutches is a pretty good news.  That means he can probably start light rehab.  Maybe jogging.  I am hopeful we'll have him back mid-summer.  

FWIW - Buxton sounds like he'll be off on a rehab assignment later this week.  Obviously Luis' injury was more severe, but avoiding surgery perhaps made it sound like it wasn't a complete tear and perhaps a more mild grade 3 strain.  Shortly after ASG return would be real nice.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Off crutches is a pretty good news.  That means he can probably start light rehab.  Maybe jogging.  I am hopeful we'll have him back mid-summer.  

FWIW - Buxton sounds like he'll be off on a rehab assignment later this week.  Obviously Luis' injury was more severe, but avoiding surgery perhaps made it sound like it wasn't a complete tear and perhaps a more mild grade 3 strain.  Shortly after ASG return would be real nice.  

He probably won't be jogging until for another 1-3 weeks. It's usually at 4 to 6 week mark that he can really start doing activities.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

He probably won't be jogging until for another 1-3 weeks. It's usually at 4 to 6 week mark that he can really start doing activities.

Probably doing some pool work maybe some light cross training on the bike.  I'd imagine at this point it's mostly about arresting muscle loss and regaining ROM as safely as possible.  Pretty good news given the initial surgery timeline would have had him what, not doing any sort of activity until July?  I'd have to think he is aiming for an early August rehab stint and then a return to the Sox a couple weeks after at this point.  I'd guess he'll start baseball activities towards the middle of July which would be like 10 weeks from the injury.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Probably doing some pool work maybe some light cross training on the bike.  I'd imagine at this point it's mostly about arresting muscle loss and regaining ROM as safely as possible.  Pretty good news given the initial surgery timeline would have had him what, not doing any sort of activity until July?  I'd have to think he is aiming for an early August rehab stint and then a return to the Sox a couple weeks after at this point.  I'd guess he'll start baseball activities towards the middle of July which would be like 10 weeks from the injury.

This is good stuff. Thank you. 

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Good ideas. Although I would guess they avoid the bike for awhile as it will put the hip flexor in too much of a shortened position. I like the pool though. 

Edited by ptatc