MILB Kickoff Thread?

bmags

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Isn't Sam Abbott the kid originally drafted as a water polo player?

And can James Beard play CF in Chicago this year, or do we need to trade for Terrance Gore from ATL?

I'm going to assume this is flat out trolling.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Obviously it’s going to be Hamilton as long as he maintains a 575-625 ops...

The alternative is a 20-year-old that was seen as one of the rawest, albeit very toolsy, players in his draft that has hit .213 in one season of rookie ball.

Beard is 80-grade fast (I think the meme when we drafted him was that if speed was graded on a quantitative scale and not qualitative, he'd be 80+ speed), but barring a massive jump I'd be shocked if we see him before 2023 at the earliest.

50 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Bailey Horn is an interesting arm. Forgot all about him. 5th round pick last year. Few publications noted him as a sleeper. Hopefully his stay in KAN is a short one.

That's a good one.

My players to watch:

Kannapolis - all of them

W-S - Carranza (had instructs helium), Davis Martin (last time we saw him he was super up and down but sometimes dominant), Freeman (good arm), Bush, Yolbert, Sosa.

Birmingham - McClure, Pilkington (reported velo uptick), Adolfo i guess. Carlos Perez.

Charlotte - we know the potentially immediate guys, but obviously burger. Hunter Schryver will be nice to see again.

10 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Probably has been mentioned, but any idea where Cespedes and Vera are at? Was hoping they would be on the rosters.

Vera sounds like he'll stay in DR for tax purposes, Cespedes apparently has visa issues.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Vera sounds like he'll stay in DR for tax purposes, Cespedes apparently has visa issues.

Ugh, I hate that we keep them in the DR for tax purposes... Whatever. Hopefully Cespedes can get here soon. I thought he was participating in extended sprung training?

Edited by ron883

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Ugh, I hate that we keep them in the DR for tax purposes... Whatever. Hopefully Cespedes can get here soon. I thought he was participating in extended sprung training?

yeah I don't understand the specifics of it. I don't know - could be either had approval for a specific location? Not really sure how this works, definitely saw it on a beat writers twitter though.

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's a good one.

My players to watch:

Kannapolis - all of them

W-S - Carranza (had instructs helium), Davis Martin (last time we saw him he was super up and down but sometimes dominant), Freeman (good arm), Bush, Yolbert, Sosa.

Birmingham - McClure, Pilkington (reported velo uptick), Adolfo i guess. Carlos Perez.

Charlotte - we know the potentially immediate guys, but obviously burger. Hunter Schryver will be nice to see again.

Interesting on Pilkington. I watched a whole bunch of his starts in W-S and was rather underwhelmed. I believe the knock on him has always been velocity. Sure would be nice for someone like him to emerge as a potential trade chip or starter depth.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Interesting on Pilkington. I watched a whole bunch of his starts in W-S and was rather underwhelmed. I believe the knock on him has always been velocity. Sure would be nice for someone like him to emerge as a potential trade chip or starter depth.

Same, he was the milquetoast kinda selection that was what I hated. But so was McClure. Ben Hansen was listed as the reason for McClure's velo increase, but he's starting to get us some results as they could be legit bullpen/fifth starter guys sooner rather than later.

10 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Just saw Zangari retired

Wish him the best. There were some times where it really seemed like he was putting it together then terrible injury would hit. Not too big a fan of high school 1b selections but his power was for real.

• Like 1