Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

16 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Any OFer of any value we could get at this point would involve serious overpayment. 

Is that so? Tauchman was super cheap. I feel position players over age 27 with two or less years of control tend to be super cheap when it comes to prospects unless they are absolute elite and even elite rental position players don't tend to yield a big haul (see what the dodgers paid for Machado). 

I don't know a name but isn't there some decent 29-31 year old who is going to be a free agent after this season who is decent but won't cost a ton (let's Say a 45fv and a 35+ lotto ticket) ? 

There are so many tanking teams looking to unload for prospects. 

Edited by Dominikk85

17 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Is that so? Tauchman was super cheap. I feel position players over age 27 with two or less years of control tend to be super cheap when it comes to prospects unless they are absolute elite and even elite rental position players don't tend to yield a big haul (see what the dodgers paid for Machado). 

I don't know a name but isn't there some decent 29-31 year old who is going to be a free agent after this season who is decent but won't cost a ton (let's Say a 45fv and a 35+ lotto ticket) ? 

What AL team is going to help the White Sox?   Needs to be an NL team, like us assuming Polanco’s deal with the Pirates, David Peralta, etc.

Starling Marte would be another obvious one.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/2021-22-mlb-free-agents.html

Good luck with this list...!  Won’t be easy.  At all.

Edited by caulfield12

I find it odd that our guys are getting hurt so badly. Tim with his leg, Moncada is always laboring, Eaton is hobbling, Engel with his. Do these guys warmup and stretch? I can see Eloys injury being a fluke with the fence but damn it seems like this shit just doesnt happen outside of our team. Make them do some yoga!

5 hours ago, hi8is said:

I think it’s a bad sign we have t heard anything still.

For Robert?  It was stated that he'd be further evaluated today.  I'm not sure we'll get anything definitive anyway.  My guess is that they'll say he's sidelined for 3-6 weeks.

Let's assume that Robert is going to be out for a month, or 2. Engel is the obvious replacement, which doesn't negatively impact the defense. The issue is how to replace Robert's bat. With two of our best RH hitters missing, it appears that Vaughn will now remain in left field and Mercedes will continue to be the DH. If Hahn is going to acquire another outfielder, it probably means that he would replace Eaton in RF. Eaton started the season on a tear, but has recently looked like he is hurt and has become a strike out machine, at the plate. 

My hope is that the Sox can acquire a left handed hitting right fielder, who will soon become a free agent. A rental, such as Conforto would be the kind of player, whom Hahn could target. The problem is that the Mets are not in a sell mode. With their pitching, they consider themselves a viable post season candidate. If the Sox don't bring in someone from another organization, I'd still like to see if they could try to get by with Lamb at 3RD and see if Moncada could play RF, just until Robert returns. Lamb is only 30, and now seems to be completely healthy. He was a solid LH hitter, before he tore his rotator cuff, which has been surgically repaired. If they aren't going to use him, when they have to turn to their bench, why did they acquire him? Frankly, what would worry me the most is Yoan pulling a hamstring, while chasing down a fly ball. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Let's assume that Robert is going to be out for a month, or 2. Engel is the obvious replacement, which doesn't negatively impact the defense. The issue is how to replace Robert's bat. With two of our best RH hitters missing, it appears that Vaughn will now remain in left field and Mercedes will continue to be the DH. If Hahn is going to acquire another outfielder, it probably means that he would replace Eaton in RF. Eaton started the season on a tear, but has recently looked like he is hurt and has become a strike out machine, at the plate. 

My hope is that the Sox can acquire a left handed hitting right fielder, who will soon become a free agent. A rental, such as Conforto would be the kind of player, whom Hahn could target. The problem is that the Mets are not in a sell mode. With their pitching, they consider themselves a viable post season candidate. If the Sox don't bring in someone from another organization, I'd still like to see if they could try to get by with Lamb at 3RD and see if Moncada could play RF, just until Robert returns. Lamb is only 30, and now seems to be completely healthy. He was a solid LH hitter, before he tore his rotator cuff, which has been surgically repaired. If they aren't going to use him, when they have to turn to their bench, why did they acquire him? Frankly, what would worry me the most is Yoan pulling a hamstring, while chasing down a fly ball. 

Tony should be fired on the spot if he puts Moncada in right, full stop 

and lamb is garbage who was a solid LH hitter for exactly one season and is not to be counted on 

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Tony should be fired on the spot if he puts Moncada in right, full stop 

and lamb is garbage who was a solid LH hitter for exactly one season and is not to be counted on 

It was "exactly" two consecutive seasons.

34 minutes ago, Lillian said:

You're not moving one of the best defensive third basemen in the American League for a guy hitting .143 because the guy hitting hitting .143 is left-handed.

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

It was "exactly" two consecutive seasons.

Ah right -TWO- seasons 4 and 5 years ago. My bad.  Totally can expect him to all the sudden find it again while moving Moncada out of his best position because Lamb hits lefty 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Let's remember Tauchman to an NL team probably cost less than if he was sent to the Sox. If sent to the Sox it probably costs more than to the Giants so not a large over payment but one nevertheless. Now if you could find a Tauchman version in the NL that might work but still since the Sox are experiencing depth problems in the OF that's a good reason to ask for more.

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Ah right -TWO- seasons 4 and 5 years ago. My bad.  Totally can expect him to all the sudden find it again while moving Moncada out of his best position because Lamb hits lefty 

I've seen nothing from Lamb that makes me believe he'll be any good this year.

8 hours ago, ptatc said:

Surgery for muscles is rare. It's like trying to tie two pieces of spaghetti together. It rarely works and usually causes more scar tissue and its worse off.

If it's a rupture of a tendon like Jimenez than it can work. However I've never seen one from the major hip flexor, only the sartorius but that was in young soccer players and the growth plate fractured. 

Hip flexor injuries look bad because you can't lift your leg at all. It not like the hamstring where you can walk without bending your knee.

How do you deal with a grade 3 injury/tear on this muscle?

I would think at this point the Sox would be looking for a LH or SH  OF but It's not really a necessity since any productive OF who can hit and field adequately will do. If you don't trade someone from the current roster who among Vaughn and Eaton loses playing time if the OF acquired can't play CF ? Do the Sox dare trade Mercedes so Vaughn can DH more ? Does Engel coming back just solve the problem?

I think that's where the Sox are at. Engel will be given every chance now to play full time in CF and see if his bat is enough. So I doubt the Sox bother trying to acquire someone like  LHH Raimel Tapia who is a fixture now in Colorado and perhaps coming into his prime as a hitter but mostly a LF who on occasion plays some CF and RF.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I would think at this point the Sox would be looking for a LH or SH  OF but It's not really a necessity since any productive OF who can hit and field adequately will do. If you don't trade someone from the current roster who among Vaughn and Eaton loses playing time if the OF acquired can't play CF ? Do the Sox dare trade Mercedes so Vaughn can DH more ? Does Engel coming back just solve the problem?

I think that's where the Sox are at. Engel will be given every chance now to play full time in CF and see if his bat is enough. So I doubt the Sox bother trying to acquire someone like  LHH Raimel Tapia who is a fixture now in Colorado and perhaps coming into his prime as a hitter but mostly a LF who on occasion plays some CF and RF.

Engel coming back right now is about the best thing that could happen to help with this problem in the short term. If he's iffy or suffers a setback, then like it or not - we need to find someone who can play CF. It's probably not worth acquiring someone who can't.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Engel coming back right now is about the best thing that could happen to help with this problem in the short term. If he's iffy or suffers a setback, then like it or not - we need to find someone who can play CF. It's probably not worth acquiring someone who can't.

Right and who gives a CF who can hit away for cheap ? If you want Vaughn to play all the time that means there has to be a good OF on the bench for late inning defense in Vaughn's place. Bench Eaton make him 4th OF ? Is someone like Gregory Polanco any better ? Nope.  Pittsburgh won't play him against LHP. Raimel Tapia isn't a free agent til 2024 so I would suspect Colorado would require something substantial for him but he can play all 3 OF positions . Someone like him would be ideal but at this point in the season he's been pretty valuable. He just doesn't have the power nor natural CF prowess of Robert. But he is very fast and a has a good hit tool . Plus Colorado probably asks for Vaughn in return as do most clubs were the Sox look to make a trade for an impactful OF.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Right and who gives a CF who can hit away for cheap ? If you want Vaughn to play all the time that means there has to be a good OF on the bench for late inning defense in Vaughn's place. Bench Eaton make him 4th OF ? Is someone like Gregory Polanco any better ? Nope.  Pittsburgh won't play him against LHP. Raimel Tapia isn't a free agent til 2024 so I would suspect Colorado would require something substantial for him but he can play all 3 OF positions . Someone like him would be ideal but at this point in the season he's been pretty valuable. He just doesn't have the power nor natural CF prowess of Robert. But he is very fast and a has a good hit tool . Plus Colorado probably asks for Vaughn in return as do most clubs were the Sox look to make a trade for an impactful OF.

Yeah I thought about Polanco again too but he doesn't help the CF problem. I don't know who a good option is who can cover CF right now other than Engel. 

The worry right now is that we're 1 more injury away from having no choice but to do someone like Polanco. Eaton doesn't look great lately and doesn't exactly have a great record of health. A setback from Engel and Gonzalez and Hamilton become the starting CFs. Yuck.

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah I thought about Polanco again too but he doesn't help the CF problem. I don't know who a good option is who can cover CF right now other than Engel. 

The worry right now is that we're 1 more injury away from having no choice but to do someone like Polanco. Eaton doesn't look great lately and doesn't exactly have a great record of health. A setback from Engel and Gonzalez and Hamilton become the starting CFs. Yuck.

I know there are plenty of Engel detractors who think he is who he is but since he's been under Menchino's tutelage he has shown some improvement as a hitter. He still doesn't take walks and K's a lot. Plus you have to wonder about his recent injury and why it took so long to come back from it.

From my perspective there's only one way to look at this. Just as Eloy's injury provided opportunities for Vaughn in LF and Meredes at DH , Roberts injury now provides an opportunity for Engel to show he can do the job. Coming off an injury ,I'm a little skeptical that he will provide much offensively but I am hoping for the best and that the rash of injuries now will end up providing opportunities that make the team better as a whole once Robert and Eloy return .

The Sox will be hesitant to make any trade for an impact OF because they don't wish to hurt the future of the team out of desperation. As long as no one is running away with the division the Sox will bide their time and ride the storm out whether we like it or not. But the present still means very much too when this might be the best starting pitching group we are going to have for a while if it lasts all season.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I actually wonder if Colorado would be interested in an injured Eloy. They might drool over his bat in Colorado. Could the Sox get back more than Tapia for him  or not even get Tapia for him since he's injured ? Can you imagine the speed of the Sox then ? Give up the power of Eloy for more speed and defense and hit tool ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I actually wonder if Colorado would be interested in an injured Eloy. They might drool over his bat in Colorado. Could the Sox get back more than Tapia for him  or not even get Tapia for him since he's injured ? Can you imagine the speed of the Sox then ? Give up the power of Eloy for more speed and defense and hit tool ?

I gotta pass on that. When healthy, Eloy is probably our best hitter.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know there are plenty of Engel detractors who think he is who he is but since he's been under Menchino's tutelage he has shown some improvement as a hitter. He still doesn't take walks and K's a lot. Plus you have to wonder about his recent injury and why it took so long to come back from it.

From my perspective there's only one way to look at this. Just as Eloy's injury provided opportunities for Vaughn in LF and Meredes at DH , Roberts injury now provides an opportunity for Engel to show he can do the job. Coming off an injury ,I'm a little skeptical that he will provide much offensively but I am hoping for the best and that the rash of injuries now will end up providing opportunities that make the team better as a whole once Robert and Eloy return .

The Sox will be hesitant to make any trade for an impact OF because they don't wish to hurt the future of the team out of desperation. As long as no one is running away with the division the Sox will bide their time and ride the storm out whether we like it or not. But the present still means very much too when this might be the best starting pitching group we are going to have for a while if it lasts all season.

The future is now. Sox are 5 years into a rebuild. A lot of Sox fans are tired of talking about the future. The division is right there for the taking. if Robert is going to miss multiple months then Hahn needs to make a move.

• Like 2