Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I actually wonder if Colorado would be interested in an injured Eloy. They might drool over his bat in Colorado. Could the Sox get back more than Tapia for him  or not even get Tapia for him since he's injured ? Can you imagine the speed of the Sox then ? Give up the power of Eloy for more speed and defense and hit tool ?

Are we talking a fantasy baseball trade? Come on man. 

• Like 3

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why are people acting like Adam Engel is the savior? He’s definitely better than he once was but he’s still not all that great against RHP.

Because we're discussing Jake Lamb, Leury and Billy Hamilton as other options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I gotta pass on that. When healthy, Eloy is probably our best hitter.

I guess it depends on if Vaughn is better in LF than Eloy and an almost equal hitter, if not now ,then in the near future and if Mercedes can be a productive DH the rest of the season. I don't want the season to go down in flames because of Eloy's and Robert's injuries and possibly more injuries, not when the pitching staff looks good. I mean if you want to go with someone like LHH Sam Hilliard from Colorado he's 27 tons of power and can also play all 3 OF positions. He also K's a lot but how long does Colorado keep him ? What would it take to get Hilliard ?

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why are people acting like Adam Engel is the savior? He’s definitely better than he once was but he’s still not all that great against RHP.

A savior who said that ? I think he's the obvious choice in CF now between Hamilton, Leury and Luis Gonzalez.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Are we talking a fantasy baseball trade? Come on man. 

No a real trade. Tapia is a good offensive and defensive player with a lot of speed and a great hit tool who can play all 3 OF positions. What is Eloy to the Sox right now. Nothing. What is he when he comes back ? a DH ? Our LF ? What happens with Vaughn and Mercedes ? I'd rather have a good OF who can hit with speed now than replace Vaughn or Merdedes if they both continue to hit well.

15 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I will take him over all the current options.

Edited by manbearpuig

26 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

The future is now. Sox are 5 years into a rebuild. A lot of Sox fans are tired of talking about the future. The division is right there for the taking. if Robert is going to miss multiple months then Hahn needs to make a move.

I agree as you can see by my last sentence right after the part you bolded, but do the Sox agree ?

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No a real trade. Tapia is a good offensive and defensive player with a lot of speed and a great hit tool who can play all 3 OF positions. What is Eloy to the Sox right now. Nothing. What is he when he comes back ? a DH ? Our LF ? What happens with Vaughn and Mercedes ? I'd rather have a good OF who can hit with speed now than replace Vaughn or Merdedes if they both continue to hit well.

Eloy is a premier slugger.  Tapia can’t even put up impressive numbers playing in Colorado.  Eloy will be a DH for the Sox for the next 6 years and mash them ball.  I would rather Mercedes prove he’s not a one month fluke before making long term decisions relating to him.

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Eloy is a silver-slugging, probable All-Star and likely MVP candidate in Colorado's park. He's three years younger and signed two years longer than Tapia.

Unless the Rockies want to include Zac Veen, the Sox shouldn't even bother starting a conversation.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Eloy is a premier slugger.  Tapia can’t even put up impressive numbers playing in Colorado.  Eloy will be a DH for the Sox for the next 6 years and mash them ball.  I would rather Mercedes prove he’s not a one month fluke before making long term decisions relating to him.

He's an injured player now and a big injury risk moving forward . Tapia's no superstar but Eloy is no great WAR producer . Because of Tapia's speed and hit tool he's worth.3-.5 WAR so far this season. I suppose I am over hyping him because I imagine a .300 hitter with speed and versatile enough to play all 3 OF positions, sort of like a Tim Anderson type who provides much better OF depth. If you think Eloy is worth more than him  you just answered my question if the Sox could get more than Tapia for him. Right now I'd rather take my chances on Mercedes and Vaughn and add another piece who will help in the playoffs and with depth and team speed than I am waiting around for Eloy and see what the Sox will do with him Vaughn and Mercedes, a group of either 3 DH's or 1 LF and 2 DH's.

• Haha 2

Rolling the dice on Vaughn and Mercedes for this year while trading the bat of Eloy which you should have for at least five more years is a less than ideal situation.   I'm all about patience on Eloy because we know a hell of a lot more about him in the majors than we know of the other two

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Eloy is a silver-slugging, probable All-Star and likely MVP candidate in Colorado's park. He's three years younger and signed two years longer than Tapia.

Unless the Rockies want to include Zac Veen, the Sox shouldn't even bother starting a conversation.

Ok I can accept that. I did ask at one point if Eloy was worth more than Tapia since he was injured. If that's the case I still prefer for this not to be a lost season if both Eloy and Robert are out another 2 months or more with the starting pitching looking good. Once the Sox fall below .500 or have more injuries and miss the playoffs maybe then you change your mind once we start hearing "wait til next year" once again. It's perfect for JR to keep stringing this along.

I also think it’s important to keep Eloy’s power around. Sox are last in the AL in homers at the moment, and the offense has really scuffled of late when they’re not hitting it out of the park.  Having a 5 thru 9 hitters in your lineup with 1 combined homer on May 2nd is almost impossible to imagine.

Edited by fathom

56 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I actually wonder if Colorado would be interested in an injured Eloy. They might drool over his bat in Colorado. Could the Sox get back more than Tapia for him  or not even get Tapia for him since he's injured ? Can you imagine the speed of the Sox then ? Give up the power of Eloy for more speed and defense and hit tool ?

Tapia is terrible, even in Coors. Eloy is worth way more than him. 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Rolling the dice on Vaughn and Mercedes for this year while trading the bat of Eloy which you should have for at least five more years is a less than ideal situation.   I'm all about patience on Eloy because we know a hell of a lot more about him in the majors than we know of the other two

I agree but  it's also less then ideal throwing this season away when the starting pitching might be the best we have in the rebuild window. How confident are you that this is a playoff team without Robert and Eloy for 2-3 months.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I also think it’s important to keep Eloy’s power around. Sox are last in the AL in homers at the moment, and the offense has really scuffled of late when they’re not hitting it out of the park.  Having a 5 thru 9 hitters in your lineup with 1 combined homer on May 2nd is almost impossible to imagine.

It boggles the mind that they are 4th in runs scored per game without Eloy.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree but  it's also less then ideal throwing this season away when the starting pitching might be the best we have in the rebuild window. How confident are you that this is a playoff team without Robert and Eloy for 2-3 months.

I'm just not mortgaging the future if they are gone for two-three months.  It simply doesn't make sense.  If this year is lost due to injury then it is what it is.   

• Like 2

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You trade prospects then for an upgrade, not a key part of the rebuild going forward.  And yes if Robert is out a few months and they suffer a couple more injuries, this won’t be their year.  What we’re seeing is an organization that neglected their depth in the offseason when everyone knew they needed more help.  Instead of money, it will now require trade assets.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think the starting pitching will be even better when kopech can be a full time starter. He really has shown improvement even without pitching competitively last year.

This is probably a very out there thought, but the Braves are hurting big time for a catcher. Is there a serviceable outfielder on the Braves and maybe a reliever, whom they would be willing to trade for Grandal. Then we could re-sign Lucroy, and platoon him with Collins. There is no way that combo can be any worse offensively or defensively than Grandal, who we are on the rope with for a lot of years and money.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

It boggles the mind that they are 4th in runs scored per game without Eloy.

Mercedes really picked up the slack, but we’re seeing some cracks in the offense the last ten days.  Eaton looks like his injuries are causing his offense to plummet.