Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

Realistically, the Sox need to find some one capable of handling CF that is a 2+ year option. I love Eaton but if we are going to trade for some one, they might as well get some one who is going to be an asset next year in RF as well. Haniger type player.

Ketel Marte would be worthing offering Crochet ++

Edited by FLsoxfan

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Teams know the situation the Sox are in. Supply and demand. A quality guy is worth more to the Sox than a team without a playoff chance. 

How much would you pay for a life preserver while sitting at your computer? How much would you pay in the middle of the Atlantic with hours until rescue? 

Is that so? Imo prices are not created by need but with what the second highest bidder wants to pay. Hahn has proven several times that he is willing to do nothing when the price is not right (last deadline the sox definitely would have needed a RF and a DH and Hahn did nothing) so if the teams want prospects they need to take what they can get. 

Modern baseball owners Don't "need" to win, they will invest a certain amount and if it is not enough they just accept that they will lose.

Jerry would love to win a WS but he is not willing to go into the red for that and in the end that means teams are not bidding against themselves. 

Maybe that was different 20 years ago when teams like the Yankees wanted to win at all cost but nowadays even the Yankees and dodgers are money conscious and only willing to go so far (see luxury tax). 

Generally all teams are now very stingy with prospects and won't pay much more than surplus value and the second highest bidder dictate. 

I mean what are the pirates going to do if Hahn is willing to walk away with nothing and nobody bids higher? 

4 minutes ago, FLsoxfan said:

Realistically, the Sox need to find some one capable of handling CF that is a 2+ year option. I love Eaton but if we are going to trade for some one, they might as well get some one who is going to be an asset next year in RF as well. Haniger type player.

Ketel Marte would be worthing offering Crochet ++

I'm afraid Marte might be worth way more than what we can offer in the farm. 

Gallo would be a nice get. He can even play CF. He's also arb 3 next year so you can get him for 2 years. Anything worth a lick of value is probably going to require Crochet to get though, unfortunately. Our system is just super shallow right now. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Gallo would be a nice get. He can even play CF. He's also arb 3 next year so you can get him for 2 years. Anything worth a lick of value is probably going to require Crochet to get though, unfortunately. Our system is just super shallow right now. 

Gallo is a good option as well. Crochet should be a strong start of an offer. If you can land Gallo for something like Crochet, Sheets, Stiever I think its the right move.

Would not trade Crochet for anyone that isn't controllable through at least 2023.

Remember how bad the 2005 offense sucked and they still won 99 games.

This pitching staff has the potential to be nearly as good. If Engel and Eloy come back and are reasonably productive this team still has a chance.

Now, if you can get a rental CF for Ruiz or Burdi and Lambert or Johnson, then do it, but I don't see that happening.

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Hahn- I'd like to talk to you about Kris Bryant's availability.

Cubs- Just pay his salary, we don't want anything else at all of value. 

Hahn- I'd like to talk to you about Joc Pederson's availability.

Out of Bryant, Pederson and Heyward, who could play CF the best?

If they sign a free agent or assume a contract, I’m fine with it.

If they trade key prospects and/or give away significant international bonus signing money slots, I’m not fine with it. 

If they are still within playoff striking distance in July, stay the course. If not, I’m fine selling pieces like Lynn Rodon or other short term pieces, as they will likely have limited ability to load up if they are good the next few years.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Is that so? Imo prices are not created by need but with what the second highest bidder wants to pay. Hahn has proven several times that he is willing to do nothing when the price is not right (last deadline the sox definitely would have needed a RF and a DH and Hahn did nothing) so if the teams want prospects they need to take what they can get. 

Modern baseball owners Don't "need" to win, they will invest a certain amount and if it is not enough they just accept that they will lose.

Jerry would love to win a WS but he is not willing to go into the red for that and in the end that means teams are not bidding against themselves. 

Maybe that was different 20 years ago when teams like the Yankees wanted to win at all cost but nowadays even the Yankees and dodgers are money conscious and only willing to go so far (see luxury tax). 

Generally all teams are now very stingy with prospects and won't pay much more than surplus value and the second highest bidder dictate. 

I mean what are the pirates going to do if Hahn is willing to walk away with nothing and nobody bids higher? 

Great points.  So do you think t will take going into the red or giving up prospects to sign a quality OFer at this point in the season?

Those are some YUCK names from Frank. 

Here's the thing:

1) this is the overreaction szn for the board and all fans. This happens with every injury or signing, or slump, etc. 

2) Adam Eaton will get injured. Probably will miss at least 30 games from here on out - that's not a crazy statement. 

3) Because of bullet point #2, unfortunately you need to go out and make a trade, and likely give up a bigger piece than you'd like for your future. If you want to stay afloat this year and want to truly go for it all, you need a stop-gap for the next 4 months, and possibly more if Eloy or Robert have setbacks. You simply cannot have an outfield of Vaughn, Engel, and Leury for any extended period of time with Nick Williams or Billy Hamilton as your 4OF. Especially considering you have a guy like Madrigal elsewhere in the lineup

4) Madrigal - this hurts him as much as anybody. I have defended him as much as anybody, and no, it's not going to change his game. It just hurts the team. You can afford to have a slap hitter like him when Eloy and Robert have the pop to drive him in. You can't have Billy Hamilton, Leury and Nick as your bottom 7-8-9 guys. Not much you can do, just saying his inefficiencies are going to shine bright now.

5) If you can live with Engel in CF and guarantee his health, then I am actually okay with him as your main CF replacement. That said, names I'd want to consider (not much different than the names I said after Eloy) --- Nick Markakis - another old OF, but FA. He can fill in RF, LF. 

Not Puig - his weird masturbation allegation is a big no from me. Don't need to justify winning with creeps. 

Old man Cespedes - not really. I'm not sure how he fits in - can't really stick him in RF. or LF. or CF. So best you can do is bring him in as your 4OF over Billy or Nick Williams or something, but not really sure how you'd have an OF with a Vaughn and Cespedes ever .... that'd be a disaster defensively. 

Young man Cespedes - maybe? Or Adolfo. or Gonzalez. or Rutherford. None deserve it, but maybe one does okay? What's there to lose? Dependent on what hte market price is out there maybe you run through a few of these guys 2 weeks at a time and see if one hits.

Kris Bryant - I think he really does fit ... just wonder what his price is & do we believe he continues his hot hitting. He'd be insurance for all of the OF and 3B. He really does make sense. I don't want to have to give up a Kelley for him, but if you truly think you have a chance to win this year, this is the all-in move. 

Polanco - maybe a change of scenery helps. He's still putting out exit velocities that aren't terrible, speed is down. but i'd guess he's relatively low cost so we dont have to mortgage any future and he's had success in the past. Makes a ton of sense. 

Other names: Sam Hilliard, David Peralta, Joc Pederson, Jake Marisnick, Delino Deshields Jr, Kevin Kiermaier

Personal Ranking: Bryant (dependent on price), Joc Pederson, Kiermaier, Polanco

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

Those are some YUCK names from Frank. 

Here's the thing:

1) this is the overreaction szn for the board and all fans. This happens with every injury or signing, or slump, etc. 

2) Adam Eaton will get injured. Probably will miss at least 30 games from here on out - that's not a crazy statement. 

3) Because of bullet point #2, unfortunately you need to go out and make a trade, and likely give up a bigger piece than you'd like for your future. If you want to stay afloat this year and want to truly go for it all, you need a stop-gap for the next 4 months, and possibly more if Eloy or Robert have setbacks. You simply cannot have an outfield of Vaughn, Engel, and Leury for any extended period of time with Nick Williams or Billy Hamilton as your 4OF. Especially considering you have a guy like Madrigal elsewhere in the lineup

4) Madrigal - this hurts him as much as anybody. I have defended him as much as anybody, and no, it's not going to change his game. It just hurts the team. You can afford to have a slap hitter like him when Eloy and Robert have the pop to drive him in. You can't have Billy Hamilton, Leury and Nick as your bottom 7-8-9 guys. Not much you can do, just saying his inefficiencies are going to shine bright now.

5) If you can live with Engel in CF and guarantee his health, then I am actually okay with him as your main CF replacement. That said, names I'd want to consider (not much different than the names I said after Eloy) --- Nick Markakis - another old OF, but FA. He can fill in RF, LF. 

Not Puig - his weird masturbation allegation is a big no from me. Don't need to justify winning with creeps. 

Old man Cespedes - not really. I'm not sure how he fits in - can't really stick him in RF. or LF. or CF. So best you can do is bring him in as your 4OF over Billy or Nick Williams or something, but not really sure how you'd have an OF with a Vaughn and Cespedes ever .... that'd be a disaster defensively. 

Young man Cespedes - maybe? Or Adolfo. or Gonzalez. or Rutherford. None deserve it, but maybe one does okay? What's there to lose? Dependent on what hte market price is out there maybe you run through a few of these guys 2 weeks at a time and see if one hits.

Kris Bryant - I think he really does fit ... just wonder what his price is & do we believe he continues his hot hitting. He'd be insurance for all of the OF and 3B. He really does make sense. I don't want to have to give up a Kelley for him, but if you truly think you have a chance to win this year, this is the all-in move. 

Polanco - maybe a change of scenery helps. He's still putting out exit velocities that aren't terrible, speed is down. but i'd guess he's relatively low cost so we dont have to mortgage any future and he's had success in the past. Makes a ton of sense. 

Other names: Sam Hilliard, David Peralta, Joc Pederson, Jake Marisnick, Delino Deshields Jr, Kevin Kiermaier

Personal Ranking: Bryant (dependent on price), Joc Pederson, Kiermaier, Polanco

Did you miss Engel being out til June?

13 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Great points.  So do you think t will take going into the red or giving up prospects to sign a quality OFer at this point in the season?

Depends what you mean with quality prospects but I'm sure at least two outfielders younger than 32 (marte,Polanco, maybe even pederson when the cubs continue to suck) that are not washed up will be traded this deadline without costing a 50 or better FV prospect.

4 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Probably wouldn't take much in return as far as prospects go if the Sox would be willing to take on a healthy chunk of that salary. Just need TLR to tell JR he absolutely has to have him.

Makes sense as an emergency stopgap.

10 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Probably wouldn't take much in return as far as prospects go if the Sox would be willing to take on a healthy chunk of that salary. Just need TLR to tell JR he absolutely has to have him.

Yeah but how sincere is he? 

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yep. But I think the FO stands pat and use the injury excuse if the season goes south. That may actually be a smart play for them. 

TBH, the way things are going, is it really worth it to give up anything of value for Heyward? Exploring Puig and Cespedes is fine.