Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

5 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Anyone with 2+ years on a contract available? 

Peralta is almost 2 years...pretty sure.

They won't go 2+ right now, and they're not going to make a major trade until they know what the long-term prognosis for both Robert and Jimenez is.  It's band-aids to get them through this season still afloat...like coming down the stretch in 2008 without Carlos Quentin, but still somehow hanging in there.

Sadly, if this happened three weeks ago, there was a chance the Sox could snooker Jeff Bridich into giving the Sox Charlie Blackmon and paying most of the salary, which Jerry would sign likely sign off. Sadly, he stepped down last week.

Can't see Feasel eating the contract, thus beyond Jerry's willingness to spend, by about $35M of his $40-50M deal + options.

Victor Robles should be the target if we're really all in this year...and want to competently cover CF.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/washington-nationals/victor-robles-21289/

If not, we look at guys like Garrett Hampson (Rockies), Jackie Bradley, Jr. (Brewers will be in it all year, and suggest Avi Garcia instead) and Cedric Mullins of the Orioles, who would likely be just as overvalued as Yermin Mercedes is to the White Sox at the current moment.

Of course, the question is what we have to offer the Nationals that would make them bite...and if we're willing to give it up.

But Robles would be under team control through 2024, just like Tim Anderson.

As someone suggested, our entire 2020 draft class for him, pretty much.

Bryan Reynolds of the Pirates is another one, he's playing CF tonight for Pittsbugh, but not a natural CFer compared to his comfort level on the corners IMO.  B-Rey is already 26 and would still fit the Sox window, except for wiping out much of our remaining prospect capital to pull it off.

He's not (yet) expensive, so the Pirates aren't desperate to unload his deal.

Edited by caulfield12

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Victor Robles should be the target if we're really all in this year...and want to competently cover CF.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/washington-nationals/victor-robles-21289/

If not, we look at guys like Garrett Hampson (Rockies), Jackie Bradley, Jr. (Brewers will be in it all year, and suggest Avi Garcia instead) and Cedric Mullins of the Orioles, who would likely be just as overvalued as Yermin Mercedes is to the White Sox at the current moment.

Of course, the question is what we have to offer the Nationals that would make them bite...and if we're willing to give it up.

But Robles would be under team control through 2024, just like Tim Anderson.

As someone suggested, our entire 2020 draft class for him, pretty much.

Bryan Reynolds of the Pirates is another one, he's playing CF tonight for Pittsbugh, but not a natural CFer compared to his comfort level on the corners IMO.  B-Rey is already 26 and would still fit the Sox window, except for wiping out much of our remaining prospect capital to pull it off.

He's not (yet) expensive, so the Pirates aren't desperate to unload his deal.

Crochet + Kelley + Horn would have to be pretty interesting if you’re the Pirates.

6 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Engel can play CF, Vaughn in LF and Eaton in RF backed up by Garcia and Hamilton. We can do it so don’t panic

Engel's not back for at least 3 weeks. What about until then? Hamilton should have ZERO, repeat ZERO at bats for a team still hoping to win. They have no choice but to go outside the organization for help. Or just chuck the season if they don't. 

4 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Puig ain't happening. Cespedes can't play center. And if you can get Heyward for the right price then yes I'd do it. He can slot into right when everyone is healthy. 

I also wouldn't want Puig, UNLESS his legal issues are resolved, first. If this was adjudicated properly, I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him. At the right price, I wouldn't mind Heyward. But to what end, really?

I just wouldn't want to throw good money after bad. I think there are at least 2 teams in the NL that are more talented than the SOX. I think there might be one or two in the AL that might be more talented than the SOX.

IOW, making a panic buy, just to make a 2021 playoff spot may not be the right move; I dont know that there's enough here to win the WS this year. 

It's up to Abreu, Grandal, and Cease to change that equation, IMO. If these three can raise their games and make it more interesting, then perhaps it could be worth it to make a move.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I also wouldn't want Puig, UNLESS his legal issues are resolved, first. If this was adjudicated properly, I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him. At the right price, I wouldn't mind Heyward. But to what end, really?

I just wouldn't want to throw good money after bad. I think there are at least 2 teams in the NL that are more talented than the SOX. I think there might be one or two in the AL that might be as talented as this one.

IOW, making a panic buy, just to make a playoff spot may not be the right move; I dont know that there's enough here to win the WS this year. 

It's up to Abreu, Grandal, and Cease to change that equation, IMO. If these three can raise their games and make it more interesting, then perhaps it could be worth it to make a move.

And their bullpen. We were supposed to have a dominant bullpen. We haven't. They have to start to be. We've lost 6 games already after either having the lead or tied in the 8th inning or later. And in another game, Hendricks blew a save in a game we eventually won. Great bullpens have gone all year without losing 6 games like this and we did it in a month. No more. Enough blowing late inning leads. If they can become the dominant bullpen we were supposed to be, we might be all right. If we don't, we wouldn't have gone anywhere even with Jimenez and Robert. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

And their bullpen. We were supposed to have a dominant bullpen. We haven't. They have to start to be. We've lost 6 games already after either having the lead or tied in the 8th inning or later. And in another game, Hendricks blew a save in a game we eventually won. Great bullpens have gone all year without losing 6 games like this and we did it in a month. No more. Enough blowing late inning leads. If they can become the dominant bullpen we were supposed to be, we might be all right. If we don't, we wouldn't have gone anywhere even with Jimenez and Robert. 

A good part of this is Tony's mismanagement. He needs to pull starters at the end of an inning (preferably the 5th or 6th) and let relievers start an inning clean with no baserunners, it really makes a difference. They were also a bit cocky reading their press clippings of Jerry's paid for media hacks touting them as the greatest bullpen, when they are mostly inexperienced. The third issue is Tony relying on the bottom of his bullpen for high leverage situations, worried more about Hendriks getting a save than the team getting outs and a team win.

White Sox Relievers 60 + MLB game season career totals (max games in parenthesis for those with zero):

• Two: Hendricks (75 in 2019, 70 in 2017)
  • One: Jace Fry (68 in 2019).
  • Zero: Bummer (58); Marshall (57); Ruiz (40); Foster (32); Heuer (21); Burdi (8); Crochet (5); Kopech (4).

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

A good part of this is Tony's mismanagement. He needs to pull starters at the end of an inning (preferably the 5th or 6th) and let relievers start an inning clean with no baserunners, it really makes a difference. They were also a bit cocky reading their press clippings of Jerry's paid for media hacks touting them as the greatest bullpen, when they are mostly inexperienced. The third issue is Tony relying on the bottom of his bullpen for high leverage situations, worried more about Hendriks getting a save than the team getting outs and a team win.

White Sox Relievers 60 + MLB game season career totals (max games in parenthesis for those with zero):

• Two: Hendricks (75 in 2019, 70 in 2017)
  • One: Jace Fry (68 in 2019).
  • Zero: Bummer (58); Marshall (57); Ruiz (40); Foster (32); Heuer (21); Burdi (8); Crochet (5); Kopech (4).

You might have some good points there. 

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I know posting random names gives caulfield a dopamine rush, but none of these guys are better than Leury.

Maybe not, but what about when Garcia needs a day off? Inciarte is better than Billy Hamilton. We need some quantity now because Billy Hamilton cannot be having ANY at bats. As in ZERO. 

12 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Fans seem to have just given up. Such a sad day. 

I don't think it's giving up; it's facing up to reality. A team can't lose two thirds of its starting outfield and expect to contend. Not to mention your third outfielder is hurting.

Of course, a trade would help, but why should  other teams go out of their way to help the White Sox? If any trade is made, the Sox are going to have to give up something substantial. Unless a team wants to dump a salary, why should it be satisfied with just prospects? And if a team wants to dump a salary, would the Sox being willing to take that salary on? I wouldn't think so.

Some fans looked for a silver lining in the Eloy injury. There wasn't any. The Robert loss, in some ways, is even bigger. The Sox are going to find other ways to win.  I don't know if they can do that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I don't think it's giving up; it's facing up to reality. A team can't lose two thirds of its starting outfield and expect to contend. Not to mention your third outfielder is hurting.

Of course, a trade would help, but why should  other teams go out of their way to help the White Sox? If any trade is made, the Sox are going to have to give up something substantial. Unless a team wants to dump a salary, why should it be satisfied with just prospects? And if a team wants to dump a salary, would the Sox being willing to take that salary on? I wouldn't think so.

Some fans looked for a silver lining in the Eloy injury. There wasn't any. The Robert loss, in some ways, is even bigger. The Sox are going to find other ways to win.  I don't know if they can do that.

Exactly. Well put

I can't wait until Tony starts playing Luis Gonzalez over Vaughn like he did with Nick Williams. It should have been Mendick up to cover the infield, let Luery play center until Engel returns with Hamilton as the backup outfielder. If you can upgrade Hamilton for little to nothing, then do it, but dont give up anything of value for a player that hopefully wont see the field after a few weeks.

34 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

Maybe not, but what about when Garcia needs a day off? Inciarte is better than Billy Hamilton. We need some quantity now because Billy Hamilton cannot be having ANY at bats. As in ZERO. 

You can’t exactly be confident in Leury staying healthy either (ditto Eaton for that matter. Heck, ditto Hamilton too.)

8 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Jerry Reinsdorf refused to spend money in January when his whole fan base was screaming for it. 

If he refuses now, then he may as well just start selling high on his free agent pitchers. It’s actually that simple - they need average big leaguers out there right now just to stitch this team together, and the best way to get them at this point is to take on salary. If they’re not willing to do that, then throw in the towel.

• Like 1