Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

4 minutes ago, y2chae said:

Getting Gallo or any other corner OF is not the solution. That just forces Engel to play a subpar CF defensively speaking. 

Engel is only in the big league because he can play CF with the best of them. Defensively there isn’t much off a dropoff going from Luis to Engel. The only question with Engel is whether he hits enough to not be a liability in the lineup

19 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

I can't take any post seriously that spells his name that way. I just can't.

I guess it's understandable when I see Luery as much as I see the correct Leury . Lee ury, not Lou erie ,if phonetically spelling it helps . Scrubs names can be misspelled. Not as acceptable with starters like Robert ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Engel is only in the big league because he can play CF with the best of them. Defensively there isn’t much off a dropoff going from Luis to Engel. The only question with Engel is whether he hits enough to not be a liability in the lineup

I think Engel can build off his 2020 season at the plate. I think Engel as an everyday CF if he can slash 300/330/480 like he did in 2020 would be just fine for 3 months as we wait for Robert to come back. 

4 minutes ago, y2chae said:

I think Engel can build off his 2020 season at the plate. I think Engel as an everyday CF if he can slash 300/330/480 like he did in 2020 would be just fine for 3 months as we wait for Robert to come back. 

With Engel's defense, isn't that like a 5 WAR player in CF? I think that is overly optimistic. He's not a 300 hitter.

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, tray said:

Money isn't going to replace Eloy and Robert and the bullpen has been horrible.

It is a hard thing to face up to but realistically, this season is toast.

Maybe some silver linings on the dark clouds of 2021:

Vaughn, Collins and Mercedes get a lot of at bats in the majors to prove whether they can hit consistently. 

Pressure is off Kopech to start until he has built up arm strength.

Continue to develop Crochet on the fly including  some pre-game infield practice.

Assess the value of Rodon, Cease, Giolito  and others to  determine who might get  extended, for how much and who might be tradeable.

Allow Tony to manage these young players (respectfully) while looking for another Manager for next season.

And for the rest of us - enjoy watching the games without worrying who wins.,  Relax and maybe spend time in more useful pursuits over the summer.

As much as I like Robert, I do not view his loss as a death knell for Sox playoff hopes. Personally, I am furious Hahn did not pursue Mike Tauchman when he was available but thats water under the bridge. The Sox will continue to win at @90 win pace as long as pitching holds up (I'm a bit concerned about Gio). Ideally, Abreu will warm up with the weather and Grandal will start to show a pulse. I believe Moncada is the real key. If he starts to perform to his potential, the lineup will withstand the loss of Robert. Ideally, we pick up a competent OF'r but I am not optimistic. In the meantime, I still like our chances and fully expect this team to start a winning streak in the games ahead.

Just now, ron883 said:

With Engel's defense, isn't that like a 5 WAR player in CF? I think that bus overly optimistic. He's not a 300 hitter.

Yes, I'd imagine he'd be considered a pretty good starter by WAR standards with those numbers.  Here is why I'm optimistic, he hit better vs right handers last year than left handers so he didn't benefit from some type of split situation.  

I just hope this injury doesn't completely take him out of his rhythm and the progress he showed last year.

Also can Mendick play corner OF? 

I don't think they have to mortgage the future or give up this year.  I know it's been mentioned before but why not give Charlie Blackmon a go?  He's got about $51 million left through 2023.  The Rockies paid about 30% of Arenado's deal and basically got squat back.  Blackmon is not as good.  If I'm the Sox I say we'll give you a bag of balls and you give us Blackmon and about $20 million and away we go.  He plays a decent CF, gives you a lefty bat.  I know he's struggled this year but look at the back of the baseball card.  I just can't see giving up after 1/6 of the season.

38 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

Hell no to this line of thinking. I thought the tank years were over.  The Sox can't keep kicking the can down the road another year and waiting for a "contention window" that may never open.  It's time for Hahn to get on the phone and start doing some work. No prospects should be untouchable at this point except Kopech. 

Well, in a way, I both agree and disagree with you at the same time. I wasn't happy with the "tanking" to begin with. I believe you play to win EVERY year. How much tanking do the Yankees do? I was never a fan of it because of exactly what's happened. You never know what's going to happen in the future. Stripping your team so you can become good in 5 years I've never agreed with. Because there's no guarantee of anything. You can preach future, future, future, but the future is something that never comes. So in the pretense you are spot on. Problem is, I don't think Hahn's going to do what you're saying. What evidence says he will? We lowballed Machado in the "bidding" for him. (Not saying they should have signed him, but just using an example of not going all out.)  This off season I really felt they gave it a "this is good enough" approach. And maybe it would have been........but then Jimenez and Robert are both out all year. Now they're caught with their pants down. So I'm just saying to accept this as a developmental year because I'm not sure anything can or will happen. And when it doesn't, I'll just be pissed off all summer, if I don't take this attitude.  Like I said in another post on here. In the future when this year is looked back on, it will be remembered as a year we didn't do/spend enough in the offseason, we overrated our bullpen, and a couple of indescribably catastrophic injuries. The only one of those three factors that can change is the overrating of the bullpen. Maybe they can turn it around and be the bullpen they were hyped to be? That's the only thing that can save this year. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Quin said:

Let me rephrase that: I'm loathing it in the specific instance, because they'd be more attractive to other teams that didn't get to see their development and growth.

fortunately it shouldn't take long, if they look stronger and better scouts won't need too long of a track record.

1 hour ago, tray said:

Money isn't going to replace Eloy and Robert and the bullpen has been horrible.

It is a hard thing to face up to but realistically, this season is toast.

Maybe some silver linings on the dark clouds of 2021:

Vaughn, Collins and Mercedes get a lot of at bats in the majors to prove whether they can hit consistently. 

Pressure is off Kopech to start until he has built up arm strength.

Continue to develop Crochet on the fly including  some pre-game infield practice.

Assess the value of Rodon, Cease, Giolito  and others to  determine who might get  extended, for how much and who might be tradeable.

Allow Tony to manage these young players (respectfully) while looking for another Manager for next season.

And for the rest of us - enjoy watching the games without worrying who wins.,  Relax and maybe spend time in more useful pursuits over the summer.

These injuries are an absolute dagger. But the season isn’t lost. Things just got a ton harder, but the Sox still have a really solid lineup 1-7 and well above average pitching. The division is bad and the Twins are 5 games under .500 and have go 28-22 in their next 50 just to get over .500. 

The Sox can absolutely still win this division. Likely won’t be easy tho and we’re going to need to see some guys step up and the pen realize their potential.

6 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

I don't think they have to mortgage the future or give up this year.  I know it's been mentioned before but why not give Charlie Blackmon a go?  He's got about $51 million left through 2023.  The Rockies paid about 30% of Arenado's deal and basically got squat back.  Blackmon is not as good.  If I'm the Sox I say we'll give you a bag of balls and you give us Blackmon and about $20 million and away we go.  He plays a decent CF, gives you a lefty bat.  I know he's struggled this year but look at the back of the baseball card.  I just can't see giving up after 1/6 of the season.

Adding $51 million in salary for the next 3 years is also a form of mortgaging the future considering way JR operates.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

These injuries are an absolute dagger. But the season isn’t lost. Things just got a ton harder, but the Sox still have a really solid lineup 1-7 and well above average pitching. The division is bad and the Twins are 5 games under .500 and have go 28-22 in their next 50 just to get over .500. 

The Sox can absolutely still win this division. Likely won’t be easy tho and we’re going to need to see some guys step up and the pen realize their potential.

Follow your last part. "pen realize their potential." That's really what needs to happen to save this year. 

8 minutes ago, y2chae said:

Yes, I'd imagine he'd be considered a pretty good starter by WAR standards with those numbers.  Here is why I'm optimistic, he hit better vs right handers last year than left handers so he didn't benefit from some type of split situation.  

I just hope this injury doesn't completely take him out of his rhythm and the progress he showed last year.

Also can Mendick play corner OF? 

You ain't wrong about his splits last year. I was pleasantly surprised after looking them up. Small sample size, but definitely encouraging. I think the Sox need to wait it out until Engel returns. Don't mortgage the future. This division is nothing special. 

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Heyward makes too much sense.

Average in CF with experience there.

Team that is selling parts and off to a bad start.

Veteran, generally consistent for the last 5 years.

Overpaid. All you have to do is figure out a dollar amount for the Cubs to pick up.

Could take over for Eaton if a 2022 season happens.

Can platoon with Engel if he ever comes back.

Played for the Cardinals so LaRussa will bench Williams and Hamilton for him.

that would definitely be a decent option. Seems like a nice guy too.

9 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Blackmon hasn't played CF since 2018 and when he did he wasn't real good at it. You can stick him in a corner and he'll be fine though. He's also 34 and no longer as fast as he used to be. You'd have to move Eaton back to CF (not the best option IMO) and put Blackmon in RF. 

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

that would definitely be a decent option. Seems like a nice guy too.

The thing with Heyward... Do we really want to Sox to lock up all that payroll in an attempt to compete in what is likely a lost year? This IS the White Sox. Heyward's contract will definitely hamper the team financially in the future...

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

The thing with Heyward... Do we really want to Sox to lock up all that payroll in an attempt to compete in what is likely a lost year? This IS the White Sox. Heyward's contract will definitely hamper the team financially in the future...

It's not ideal, but if we get 75% of that contract, he is both a legitimate RF option, but also becomes easier to trade if we take on the remaining 75% of the contract, thus having cut his salary in half for the team to offload him (25% from cubs, 25% from sox).

10 minutes ago, ron883 said:

is it really a lost year though? not yet. This pitching can still reach elite levels. 

I don't think the team has to mortgage the future this year. At least try to get a competent outfielder and  hope that the team is in striking distance when Eloy and Robert return. Doing nothing means you're giving up, and I don't think the club should do that in May.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Huh? Engel is an elite defensive CF.  

Also, didn't Gallo just win a gold glove in CF? It wouldn't be like acquiring the Reds version of Adam Dunn (though, it will feel like it when he is at the plate).

Edited by manbearpuig