Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’ve been beating the Heyward drum since the offseason. All it costs is money and a non-prospect to acquire him. He can play all three OF positions and he hits righties decently well. Even if all the outfielders were healthy, he could still be used as a late inning defensive sub and possibly as a starter over Eaton depending on the matchup.

But that’s a substantial amount of money that could prohibit them from acquiring pitching next year.

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

I was down for Heyward before we signed Eaton (when it seemed like there were rumors suggesting it could happen). I'm not so sure now.

I think there’s room on the roster for both even when everyone is healthy. Of course, I’d ask the Cubs to eat at least half of his remaining salary. Something like 3/$30M as the Sox responsibility for his remaining contract seems reasonable. Decent chance Eaton is gone after this season anyways. Heyward can serve as a bridge to the Cubans.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

But that’s a substantial amount of money that could prohibit them from acquiring pitching next year.

Oh yea, I’d need the Cubs to eat about half his remaining salary. Where the Cubs are headed, I’m sure they wouldn’t mind doing that.

Just now, fathom said:

If they're not willing to spend the money that it would take to bring in help after their gamble on everyone staying healthy didn't work...and they're not willing to pay a high prospect price for someone cheaper...then they may as well start looking to sell Rodon and Lynn before they walk as free agents. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If they're not willing to spend the money that it would take to bring in help after their gamble on everyone staying healthy didn't work...and they're not willing to pay a high prospect price for someone cheaper...then they may as well start looking to sell Rodon and Lynn before they walk as free agents. 

What do you think Heyward would cost in terms of prospects if the Cubs eat half his salary? I’m thinking the return would be minimal, similar to the Mazara trade. To me, this is the best compromise and buys you time until the big dogs return. Knock on wood, Heyward has stayed very healthy through most of his career so, even though he’s unspectacular, he’s reliable at least.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What do you think Heyward would cost in terms of prospects if the Cubs eat half his salary? I’m thinking the return would be minimal, similar to the Mazara trade. To me, this is the best compromise and buys you time until the big dogs return. Knock on wood, Heyward has stayed very healthy through most of his career so, even though he’s unspectacular, he’s reliable at least.

Nick Williams.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Lol. I was thinking more along the lines of Luis Gonzalez. One in the same I suppose.

You get the idea. My number was the Cubs picking up 40% of the deal rather than 50%, with the Sox paying a premium just to make it happen right now since they're legitimately desperate, but whatever. 

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Jerry Reinsdorf refused to spend money in January when his whole fan base was screaming for it. 

If he refuses now, then he may as well just start selling high on his free agent pitchers. It’s actually that simple - they need average big leaguers out there right now just to stitch this team together, and the best way to get them at this point is to take on salary. If they’re not willing to do that, then throw in the towel.

Jerry Reinsdorf is always down for a White Flag Trade.

"Anyone who thinks we can catch Cleveland is crazy."

- Jerry Reinsdorf, July 31, 1997

- Jerry Reinsdorf, 2021 statement date TBD

Edited by South Side Hit Men

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’ve been beating the Heyward drum since the offseason. All it costs is money and a non-prospect to acquire him. He can play all three OF positions and he hits righties decently well. Even if all the outfielders were healthy, he could still be used as a late inning defensive sub and possibly as a starter over Eaton depending on the matchup.

All it costs is money ? You do know who our owner is don't you ? We got a starting pitcher for a year with an $8M salary for a MLB/pitching prospect with 6 yrs of eligibility when the SOx could've just spent money for one. I love having Lynn but it was a shortsighted but acceptable move given that he could be a valuable piece for the season and the playoffs. It now looks worse if the team doesn't make the playoffs.

Someone said he heard the Sox will have money to spend at the trade deadline but counting on it now and adding a percentage of Heyward's salary for another 2 years after 2021 is way beyond what JR would do. The Sox added $8M for 1 yr. of Lynn and traded a decent prospect and  $8M for a starting RF for 1 yr. of Eaton. JR is going to rake in as much money as he can from the paying customers this year before he MIGHT decide to add in July at the trade deadline . I see no hope whatsoever of him making a substantial multi year commitment now or at the trade deadline considering the injuries to Eloy and Robert.

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jerry Reinsdorf is always down for a White Flag Trade.

- Jerry Reinsdorf, July 31, 1997

- Jerry Reinsdorf, 2021 statement date TBD

If he claims after five years of rebuilding not to be able to compete with the lowest payroll tram in baseball that already shed Lindor, Carrasco, Kluber, Santana, etc.   Not even JR is that out of it.

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

I do wonder with how Texas specifically wanted Dunning, if they aren't as interested in our young pitchers which could be a hurdle. But yes let's go for it. Gallo is awesome. Awesome players are great. Turn our frowns upside down.

Most of this board will hate Gallo and his 40% K rate 2 weeks in.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Most of this board will hate Gallo and his 40% K rate 2 weeks in.  

This board complained about Luis Robert being lost 3/4ths of his at bats. My opinions are good.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

All it costs is money ? You do know who our owner is don't you ? We got a starting pitcher for a year with an $8M salary for a MLB/pitching prospect with 6 yrs of eligibility when the SOx could've just spent money for one. I love having Lynn but it was a shortsighted but acceptable move given that he could be a valuable piece for the season and the playoffs. It now looks worse if the team doesn't make the playoffs.

Someone said he heard the Sox will have money to spend at the trade deadline but counting on it now and adding a percentage of Heyward's salary for another 2 years after 2021 is way beyond what JR would do. The Sox added $8M for 1 yr. of Lynn and traded a decent prospect and  $8M for a starting RF for 1 yr. of Eaton. JR is going to rake in as much money as he can from the paying customers this year before he MIGHT decide to add in July at the trade deadline . I see no hope whatsoever of him making a substantial multi year commitment now or at the trade deadline considering the injuries to Eloy and Robert.

Yep. The big worry is that JR claims the Sox are tapped out financially and no new pieces are added.

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

"Why isn’t Leury playing more, at least he puts the ball in play. Ugh, another failed Rick Hahn trade.“

He's the RF version of Yasmani Grandal with slightly more power, but a lower career batting average and almost double the Ks.

That should go over well with this fanbase!  

• Thanks 2