Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

Just now, caulfield12 said:

None that JR or Hahn are willing to give up anything of value for...or we would have beat SFG offer for Tauchman.

When the Giants acquired Tauchman, Robert was still healthy and Engel hadn‘t suffered yet another setback. I wouldn’t have minded him over Hamilton, but the assumption always was that Billy was a goner anyway when Engel comes back

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Whomst?

If he could really put up his career 772 ops at age 30 and play above average defense in CF...but that second part is unlikely.

You have to take your chances with Hamilton first being to put up a number in the 600s because of Vaughn and Eaton being so banged up and already 2-3 strides behind 2016 peak Eaton in the first place.

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Great, another career bench player from Tony's Angels days he can play regularly over Vaughn and Engel 

Engel is injured and I’m pretty sure no one wants to see Vaughn in center.

3 minutes ago, Vulture said:

.257/.328/.467 with 36 doubles, 21 HR, 8 SB in 508 AB 2019-20 with Angels. Of course I’m leaving out the part where he stunk it up with reds over 20 games.

I guess this is better than hoping Nick Williams finds his 2017-2018 form. At least he was half decent as recently as last season.

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Great, another career bench player from Tony's Angels days he can play regularly over Vaughn and Engel when Lamb and Garcia aren't manning Tony's OF.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/brian-goodwin/12858/stats?position=OF

5 seasons, 0.56 fWAR per season.

This is so sad. Dumpster diving the first week of May.

1 minute ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

This is so sad. Dumpster diving the first week of May.

He's an upgrade on Luis Gonzalez.  Its not like they're handing the dude millions.  He'll be kicked to the side as soon as they can find a better option. 

This guy literally is a body until a rebuilding team falls 10 games under and they make a trade. Only other options have so much baggage - Puig/Cespedes are so mercurial, and most teams are still within a realistic chance of a playoff spot. Williams, Gonzalez and Lamb all need to be far away from this roster, and this is the start to that. How is this a problem?

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

You follow me around like a puppy with your sad takes.

He already posted numerous times in this thread before your comments. How do we know you’re not following him around? Hmmmm??

spanish-inquisition-monty-python-gif-8.g

12 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Engel is injured and I’m pretty sure no one wants to see Vaughn in center.

Agreed, OK if in Charlotte. Would gut it out with Garcia and Hamilton until Engel returns if they can't get an actual Major League player.

The problem is Tony clings to his veterans, and if Goodwin has a good game or two can stick in the lineup over much better options.

Jake Lamb and Leury Garcia have Tony'd their way into regular playing time, before the Robert injury. If the Sox had a decent 21st century manager, I wouldn't have concerns or even care about this signing.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Select fans certainly don't like Grandal's .350 career OBP.  Why would they like Gallo's career .332 OBP?  

Grandal isn't doing that right now though. He's been bad at the plate AND behind the plate. Being horrendous behind the plate as a catcher will result in fans getting pissed.

Gallo at least gives you above average defense in the corner OF. Not enough sample size in CF yet. 

Edited by ron883
  • Thanks 1

Goodwin is a body, but at least we got a body in 24 hours. I'm sure Hahn has already had calls in on a lot of these guys going back to the Eloy injury. So at least there's a heads up on a list. Not all LF will necessarily transfer to the CF list, but I'm sure he's already had initial discussions on a number of targets. 

Polanco, or someone on the Cubs would make the most sense to me.

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He's an upgrade on Luis Gonzalez.  Its not like they're handing the dude millions.  He'll be kicked to the side as soon as they can find a better option. 

Are we sure he’s an upgrade?  Goodwin is known quantity for good or for bad.  Gonzalez has a range of outcomes.

20 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Polanco, or someone on the Cubs would make the most sense to me.

Unless we've somehow found a really good player for RF, I don't see much use in acquiring a player who can't cover CF for a while. Polanco's had 5 starts at CF in his whole career. 

MLB says Mendick was called up. Given Rodon and Mercedes' emergence and now Vaughn not everything has been bad news. LuGone is gone already. Keep trying I guess. 

40 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

What are Charlie Tilson and Ryan Cordell up to?? Let's bring them back. Maybe call up Trace Thompson and Jacob May as well.

If all they do is sign Goodwin, I'd be mad. But what did you expect them to do in less than 24 hours after the Robert news?

53 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Dumpster diving in May is sad. It is also sad that Luis Gonzalez is bad at baseball and that the Sox couldn't develop any outfield depth in the minors over the last 5 years.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Select fans certainly don't like Grandal's .350 career OBP.  Why would they like Gallo's career .332 OBP?  

I have zero interest in Gallo, especially when you consider the price (I’m assuming several good prospects, not a bag of balls like the Mazara trade).