Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I have zero interest in Gallo, especially when you consider the price (I’m assuming several good prospects, not a bag of balls like the Mazara trade).

At least you're consistent! I will give you that.  

50 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Grandal isn't doing that right now though. He's been bad at the plate AND behind the plate. Being horrendous behind the plate as a catcher will result in fans getting pissed.

Gallo at least gives you above average defense in the corner OF. Not enough sample size in CF yet. 

Agreed, but they are similar offensive players when right.  That is the point.  Grandal, despite hitting .127, has an .333 OBP because he has an elite eye.  

Defensively, yah.  Grandal has been disappointing.  No doubt about it.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

Dumpster diving in May is sad. It is also sad that Luis Gonzalez is bad at baseball and that the Sox couldn't develop any outfield depth in the minors over the last 5 years.

Lol - its been 24 hours.  What were you expecting?  

Oh right, trading Crochet for Bryant!  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

At least you're consistent! I will give you that.  

No interest in acquiring a corner OF like Gallo in exchange for (good) prospects, especially one that will be outhit by Andrew Vaughn as early as this season. Need someone that can play a solid CF or else you might as well run Engel and Hamilton out there. At least you’ll get plus defense from those two.

4 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

NotCishek stating that the Sox have reached out to the Rangers regarding a trade in his tweet thread here.  No names or anything substantial but perhaps good news of a real addition on the horizon?

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

No interest in acquiring a corner OF like Gallo in exchange for (good) prospects, especially one that will be outhit by Andrew Vaughn as early as this season. Need someone that can play a solid CF or else you might as well run Engel and Hamilton out there. At least you’ll get plus defense from those two.

Yeah, I mean, I think Gallo is a pretty good fit because he can actually play CF for a few weeks until Engel returns and then play RF as well be the RF is 2022.  But yeah, for what Texas is going to want in return, I am also a pass on Gallo and would prefer to stick with what we got.  

37 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

Gonzales has no chance against mlb pitching and the Sox know it.  Guy will likely be out of professional baseball in 18 months or so.

That is one possible outcome.  Just curious, where do you think Goodwin will be in 18 months.

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

That is one possible outcome.  Just curious, where do you think Goodwin will be in 18 months.

They didn't sign Goodwin to be a long term solution.  They signed him to try to give them another option in CF until Engel returns or a better option presents itself.  

40 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Gallo makes sense. White Sox and Rangers have a good trade relationship already with 2 deals made in the last 2 seasons.

Hell yeah. I would prefer Bryant but Gallo is a good get as well. Dude is under contract for next year as well. Give them Crochet plus if that is what it takes. The time for prospect hoarding is ovah!!

• Haha 1

What's the love affair with Gallo? I know in comparison to the bums we have right now, but shouldn't we be aiming for higher? He's a career .210 hitter. I feel like whenever we acquire homerun or nothing left handed hitters it fails. 

21 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

What's the love affair with Gallo? I know in comparison to the bums we have right now, but shouldn't we be aiming for higher? He's a career .210 hitter. I feel like whenever we acquire homerun or nothing left handed hitters it fails. 

Problem is, if you want to go higher, our minor league depth isn't the greatest. If you want to add a big impact bat, you're probably trading one of Crochet, Vaughn, Kopech, Cease, etc. which most of us are not a fan of.

Edited by manbearpuig

2 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Problem is, if you want to go higher, our minor league depth isn't the greatest. If you want to add a big impact bat, you're probably trading one of Crochet, Vaughn, Kopech, Cease, etc. which most of us are not a fan of.

Where is this big impact bat going to play moving forward tho?  There isn't a ton of room at the inn for a big impact bat - its not like Eloy and Robert are dead.  The answer is obviously RF, but just there aren't that many guys that can play CF that are also big time bats we can just shift over to RF in 2022.  

This is going to just be a patchwork situation in CF.  Its truly unfortunate and frankly unlucky situation the Sox have found themselves, but there isn't some perfect fit out there.  Gallo isn't perfect player by any means, but he is probably the best fit.  But no chance I am giving up any of the guys you mentioned for him.  

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Where is this big impact bat going to play moving forward tho?  There isn't a ton of room at the inn for a big impact bat - its not like Eloy and Robert are dead.  The answer is obviously RF, but just there aren't that many guys that can play CF that are also big time bats we can just shift over to RF in 2022.  

This is going to just be a patchwork situation in CF.  Its truly unfortunate and frankly unlucky situation the Sox have found themselves, but there isn't some perfect fit out there.  Gallo isn't perfect player by any means, but he is probably the best fit.  But no chance I am giving up any of the guys you mentioned for him.  

I'm not saying they should get a big impact player. I was replying back to the poster who said we should aim higher than Gallo.

Edited by manbearpuig

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

I'm not saying they should get one. I was replying back to the poster who said we should aim higher than Gallo.

No, I know.  Just brainstorming really.  The knee jerk reaction is to go out and get some bat to replace Luis/Eloy, but really all that would be doing is displacing Vaughn, Eaton or Mercedes.  NEver a bad thing to have too many good hitters I guess, but the Sox need a CF.  Not a LF, or DH, or RF.  (I know you know this). 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

What about a flyer on Adolis Garcia from Texas, the Cuban rookie?  

He's either Luis Robert without the  defense or Eloy Jimenez without a hit tool.

2 hours ago, SoxFanForever said:

NotCishek stating that the Sox have reached out to the Rangers regarding a trade in his tweet thread here.  No names or anything substantial but perhaps good news of a real addition on the horizon?

It will be Delino DeShields, Jr., not Gallo...

10 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

Kelenic for Madrigal and Crochet. Mendick and Luery can cover 2nd for the rest of this year. Get er done Hahn!

There's zero chance the Mariners take that deal...