Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

And here's a fun stat I found while writing it

Joey Gallo’s offensive skillset is what I have wanted on the White Sox for several years. He is a left-handed power bat who takes many walks, hits home runs, and avoids double plays (fun fact: in 1,907 plate appearances, Gallo has grounded into only seven double plays).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

And here's a fun stat I found while writing it

Awesome. The Sox grounded into more than half of that total (4) last Tuesday.

Always been a Gallo fan, been drafting him plenty in Rotisserie leagues, not concerned with the slow power this April, he will not be denied. In Comiskey II, he would be a beast.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Reading all the Gallo talk here inspired me to write out why I think there isn't a more perfect fit out there than him. I already loved the fit before the injuries, but now it's just too good to be true. Here's the link for anyone interested  

Price becomes the big question mark.  But you’re right, hard to find a better fit given his control, left-handed bat, and ability to play some CF.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Reading all the Gallo talk here inspired me to write out why I think there isn't a more perfect fit out there than him. I already loved the fit before the injuries, but now it's just too good to be true. Here's the link for anyone interested  

Gallo is good in theory, but I have some real concerns that he can still play CF. He used to have above average speed (58th percentile in 2020 and 70th percentile in 2019), but he's now down to just 43rd percentile this year. Which has caused his defense to regress quite a bit, even given the SSS. I'm not sure why he's slowed down so much over the past 2 seasons  as he's technically in his prime and hasn't had any major leg injuries. 

Also, his lack of power and increased K rate this year doesn't draw a ton of confidence from me. His BABIP is also .432 despite hitting just .230. I'm not sure he went from a 3 true outcomes guy to a strikeout/walk/blooper guy. It's early in the season, things might change, but some of this stuff is concerning. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Price becomes the big question mark.  But you’re right, hard to find a better fit given his control, left-handed bat, and ability to play some CF.

The price is what I struggled with most. Texas would probably agree to Crochet straight up but I doubt the Sox would. I do think that some combination of Stiever/prep arms/a Rodriguez or Ramos type would get it done, but even that would sting

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Gallo is good in theory, but I have some real concerns that he can still play CF. He used to have above average speed (58th percentile in 2020 and 70th percentile in 2019), but he's now down to just 43rd percentile this year. Which has caused his defense to regress quite a bit, even given the SSS. I'm not sure why he's slowed down so much over the past 2 seasons  as he's technically in his prime and hasn't had any major leg injuries. 

Also, his lack of power and increased K rate this year doesn't draw a ton of confidence from me. His BABIP is also .432 despite hitting just .230. I'm not sure he went from a 3 true outcomes guy to a strikeout/walk/blooper guy. It's early in the season, things might change, but some of this stuff is concerning. 

I'm not too worried about the sprint speed as even that is a bit flukey in a small sample, although I do agree that it's something to monitor, and weird given the lack of (known) leg injuries.

As for the offense, he's trying out a new swing this year and is probably still in that adjustment period with it. Personally, I prefer the old version of him (40 bombs + respectable OBPs) to this new version with less power and more walks, but obviously it's early and I'm sure things will change. He's also hitting a bit better as of late. The concerns are valid but he's the kind of guy I'd feel confident rolling the dice on. When he gets hot, he carries the whole team

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The price is what I struggled with most. Texas would probably agree to Crochet straight up but I doubt the Sox would. I do think that some combination of Stiever/prep arms/a Rodriguez or Ramos type would get it done, but even that would sting

If Crochet is not considered a candidate to start eventually by the FO, it would be worthwhile to make this trade.

That assumes Jerry would consider taking on $4M+ prorated. Could see Jerry wanting to send more prospects and or international bonus slot $ for Texas to take on most/all of the contract. The money, after all, has been spent.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

If Crochet is not considered a candidate to start eventually by the FO, it would be worthwhile to make this trade.

That assumes Jerry would consider taking on $4M+ prorated. Could see Jerry wanting to send more prospects and or international bonus slot $ for Texas to take on most/all of the contract. The money, after all, has been spent.

lol Gallos contract isn’t the issue. Dude hardly makes anything. 

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I know Jerry's cheap, but Gallo barely makes anything for the player he is. I doubt he'll fork over extra prospects for a $10 million discount on a guy we desperately need. 

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

lol Gallos contract isn’t the issue. Dude hardly makes anything. 

LOL, are you serious.

This is Jerry we are talking about, the miser who sent gave up international slot money (not actual money, the right to spend) for Texas to eat Welington’s option buyout.

Saved $1.25M when combined with the earlier Nate Jones deal.

Lay off the weed.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pal said:

If Gallo is landed, is he CF? Still play Vaughn in LF? If Gallo is a corner OF, they still have a problem with getting Vaughn/Mercedes in the lineup.

I think the only way the trade happens is if they're confident he can be an everyday CF 

1 minute ago, Pal said:

If Gallo is landed, is he CF? Still play Vaughn in LF? If Gallo is a corner OF, they still have a problem with getting Vaughn/Mercedes in the lineup.

Eaton, despite looking kind of iffy in RF, still has really good sprint speed (85th percentile). I know some have said he's lost a step, but he really hasn't. Gallo is probably better off in a corner OF position full-time. He gets good jumps, but his speed has been declining for the past 2 years. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Once again, this is the White Sox.  It will be DeShields, not Gallo.

Let’s be real.

I know you're joking, but what's the point of even getting DeShields when he's a worse version of Adam Engel? 

3 hours ago, SoxFanForever said:

NotCishek stating that the Sox have reached out to the Rangers regarding a trade in his tweet thread here.  No names or anything substantial but perhaps good news of a real addition on the horizon?

That cements it, Brian Goodwin is it.

If they acquire Gallo, he is your right fielder for the rest of this year and next. Goodwin holds down CF, until Engel is ready. Vaughn stays in left. Next year, when Eloy and Robert come back, you don't pick up Eaton's option and you figure out what to do with the combination of Mercedes, Vaughn, Abreu and Eloy. Four first basemen/DH guys, all right handed. If Vaughn lives up to expectations, Abreu continues to age well, Mercedes is anything close to legitimate and Eloy is who we know he is, you figure it out when the time comes.

29 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

LOL, are you serious.

This is Jerry we are talking about, the miser who sent gave up international slot money (not actual money, the right to spend) for Texas to eat Welington’s option buyout.

Saved $1.25M when combined with the earlier Nate Jones deal.

Lay off the weed.

Yes I am serious. Gallo makes $6M and will make something like $8-9M next year. He’s well within the White Sox budget no matter what ridiculous narrative about ownership you care to spin. Jerry is a cheap stake when it comes to the Sox but if the Rangers would take a deal the Sox felt comfortable with, Gallos economics are not getting in the way. 

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yes I am serious. Gallo makes $6M and will make something like $8-9M next year. He’s well within the White Sox budget no matter what ridiculous narrative about ownership you care to spin. Jerry is a cheap stake when it comes to the Sox but if the Rangers would take a deal the Sox felt comfortable with, Gallos economics are not getting in the way. 

You’re the one spinning “narrative”.

Dump bonus money to save pennies. Trade prospects for a team friendly rental contract. Have the first decent team in literally decades and minimum contract for Jarrod Dyson is Jerry’s “Major Commitment” to winning, as spewed by his apologists.

5 hours ago, Vulture said:

Yeah they could have spent 45 million a year on Bauer or signed an inferior pitcher to Lynn.

Sorry I was not clear. Spent as in done more to get more like make a trade for a pitcher who was younger or had a longer contract with a higher salary. Lots of things they could ve done besides what they did. I'm sure they tried but that's not what happened. They took the least expensive route .