Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

you'd think Hahn would have at least talked to TX about Gallo, wish somebody would leak those talks/asking price.  I'm guessing TX is asking for the moon even though Gallo hasn't performed well so far

what's the most you guys would give up for Gallo? His deal ends his year, it's almost too good to be true as you're able to do Eloy/Robert/Vaughn in 2022 without having to bench or trade guys. Eaton also gone after this year. 

57 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

you'd think Hahn would have at least talked to TX about Gallo, wish somebody would leak those talks/asking price.  I'm guessing TX is asking for the moon even though Gallo hasn't performed well so far

what's the most you guys would give up for Gallo? His deal ends his year, it's almost too good to be true as you're able to do Eloy/Robert/Vaughn in 2022 without having to bench or trade guys. Eaton also gone after this year. 

Gallo will still be under control next year, which will be his last year of arbitration.

Edited by Lillian

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

He will still be under control next year, which will be his last year of arbitration.

ah, well that kinda gums up the idea.  if Mercedes is legit, we would have more starters than positions

On 5/4/2021 at 4:03 PM, chw42 said:

Eaton, despite looking kind of iffy in RF, still has really good sprint speed (85th percentile). I know some have said he's lost a step, but he really hasn't. Gallo is probably better off in a corner OF position full-time. He gets good jumps, but his speed has been declining for the past 2 years. 

This is what I struggle with when people say Gallo is perfect. It could end up like having Adam Dunn in CF . The Sox are already 1st in OBP and yeah another OBP guy would be great but we also don't need a slow footed type patrolling CF . The guy is massive. If anyone is looking for reasons like leg injuries to why he has slowed down  you really don't have to look any further than 6'5" 250+ lbs. The power is much needed but what the Sox really need right now is a true CF for a little while until we discover if Engel can come back in a month without another in his long line of setbacks. Proposition Gallo in RF all you want I'm on board but no way for CF. If his speed keeps declining as it has been, he won't win any more GG in RF and will just be another DH/1B added to the team with too many of those already.

I'm just going to guess we see Brian Goodwin a lot more than Hamilton in the lineup from now on and once Engel comes back Hamilton is gone. I'd gladly take that lifetime .772 OPS over Hamilton's .619.

42 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Why the hell is a Blake Rutherford in this organization if he can’t step in right now.....

Goodwin will jump ahead of him...probably Yoelkis too if he shows any signs at all of being ready.

And Rutherford can’t play big league CF. 

Funny trash talk from a Cubs’ fan....well, typical, at least.

2 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Why the hell is a Blake Rutherford in this organization if he can’t step in right now.....

A viable option might be Gavin Sheets. He's been playing RF for Charlotte where he is hitting 500 and slugging. Would love to see how his game translates to MLB. Would sure give him a chance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

A viable option might be Gavin Sheets. He's been playing RF for Charlotte where he is hitting 500 and slugging. Would love to see how his game translates to MLB. Would sure give him a chance.

Guess you have to wait for the inevitable Eaton IL trip.  His dad was a pretty good hitter for the Orioles, at least. 

16 minutes ago, Flash said:

I remember reading this article and thinking that Sheets may become a "viable option" for RF, at some time in the future. Looks like that future could be now:

https://www.mlb.com/news/gavin-sheets-ready-for-spring-training-2021

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lillian said:

I remember reading this article and thinking that Sheets may become a "viable option" for RF, at some time in the future. Looks like that future could be now:

https://www.mlb.com/news/gavin-sheets-ready-for-spring-training-2021

I agree with you and @Flash . Sadly, the only Sheets we’ll be seeing under the current regime is Tony “Three Sheets” La Russa.

Even if Gavin was here, Tony would bury him under Hamilton, Garcia and Lamb on the OF Depth chart. Hahn needs to take charge and DFA Hamilton and Lamb with two viable possibly productive players. He has one off day to start the process.

• Haha 1

Another alternative, if we don't have an option in the minors,  is to go get a legit corner outfielder. Eloy's return to LF will always be questioned and Eaton is questionable now.  Maybe the Sox have to trade an asset to get one in return. But rather than fill a hole with a prayer, trade a package and get someone who solves at least RF now and next year can play LF or RF depending on Vaughn's progress. Maybe it means trading Madrigal and an arm if we could get a legit outfielder.  Let 2B be the spot we fill w Mendick or another option in the minors.    If Madrigal doesn't attract a good return, maybe plug Kopech in the 5 spot and see if Keuchel gets you an outfielder. 

We have the pitching to compete this year but a patchwork outfield will negate our advantage. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I've been expecting an outfielder acquisition to be announced all day.  These off days often seem to be when news breaks.  

You mean like a big acquisition? Early May blockbusters aren't that frequent of a thing. And with Eloy and Robert due to come back towards end of the summer, they will like trot out the Brian Goodwins of the world that become available as the season goes on.

37 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

You mean like a big acquisition? Early May blockbusters aren't that frequent of a thing. And with Eloy and Robert due to come back towards end of the summer, they will like trot out the Brian Goodwins of the world that become available as the season goes on.

None of the names being talked about would be blockbusters IMO.  Our outfield is in dire need of a solid addition.  I'm thinking someone more sure thing than Brian Goodwin.  If he was the answer he would already be on the team.

15 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Who?

People being talked about would include Joey Gallo, Joc Pederson, Charlie Blackmon, and Jason Hayward.  Any of this type of player would improve our current situation but none qualify as a blockbuster acquisition.  I am referring to your statement that blockbuster deals don't tend to happen in early May.