Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

People being talked about would include Joey Gallo, Joc Pederson, Charlie Blackmon, and Jason Hayward.  Any of this type of player would improve our current situation but none qualify as a blockbuster acquisition.  I am referring to your statement that blockbuster deals don't tend to happen in early May.

Joey Gallo is semi-big. I do think if we got him we would definitely have to play him in RF when Eloy and Luis are back (Eaton can move to the bench if he's not on the IL).

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Had a nice series at the plate too

Looked really good. Lots of hard hit balls. If the Sox got him, he’d be a great fit to lengthen the lineup. I don’t know how the Sox can count on Eaton going forward.

2 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Joey Gallo is semi-big. I do think if we got him we would definitely have to play him in RF when Eloy and Luis are back (Eaton can move to the bench if he's not on the IL).

And Hamilton can buy a ticket to the game.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Looked really good. Lots of hard hit balls. If the Sox got him, he’d be a great fit to lengthen the lineup. I don’t know how the Sox can count on Eaton going forward.

Yeah, but I don't think you can get him without 1 of Crochet, Kelley or Cespedes.  Not to mention others guys on the MLB roster.  

If you could get him for something headliked by Thompson/Dalquist, with secondary pieces like Adolfo/Rutherford/Gonzalez and Ramos/Bailey/Rodriguez/Gladney, sure I'd do it. But I don't see that happening.  

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

And Hamilton can buy a ticket to the game.

Hamilton isn't going anywhere at this point.  And honestly, that is fine.  But he should get very very very very few at bats and be used pretty much exclusively as late inning defensive replacement or pinch running.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hamilton isn't going anywhere at this point.  And honestly, that is fine.  But he should get very very very very few at bats and be used pretty much exclusively as late inning defensive replacement or pinch running.  

Agreed.  I actually like him a lot if used in late-inning running and defensive situations.  When he has a bat in his hand's bad things happen.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I feel like everyone on the site keeps repeating that to no avail.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I feel like everyone on the site keeps repeating that to no avail.

Yeah, well...right now they don't exactly have a plethora of other options.  Especially with Eaton banged up.

Point is, Hamilton actually has a role to play on this club if we can get some personnel to cover CF when Leury need play elsewhere or ideally sits his on the bench where it comes.  

Mentioned it yesterday, but Sox should pick up Ben Gamel.  He's probably a better option than Goodwin.  Not sure how well he can cover CF tho, but he's made over 30 appearances there is his career.  

Edited by ChiSox59

Three way tie for first if McKenzie shutout of KC holds up...Twins 5 1/2 back.  Detroit relegated to the International League.  Except when my fantasy pitcher faces them in Eovaldi.

0-7 extras record for Twins, Buxton hurt yet again.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Three way tie for first if McKenzie shutout of KC holds up...Twins 5 1/2 back.  Detroit relegated to the International League.

Nah there is already a three way time for first.  Cleveland takes the division lead by a 0.5 game over the Sox with a W today.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nah there is already a three way time for first.  Cleveland takes the division lead by a 0.5 game over the Sox with a W today.  

Okay, 1/2 gb, KC 1, Twins 6.  Pretty sure the Royals have lost five in a row now.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Okay, 1/2 gb, KC 1, Twins 6.  Pretty sure the Royals have lost five in a row now.

The only saving grace for us is Minnesota is 8 games under  500. Had Minnesota played to their abilities and been 19-11 instead, we may be in big trouble. The Twins will spend at least the next month trying to get over .500, which gives us time to figure things out. Cleveland and KC can play decent ball but they can't run away with anything. 

With Eloy and Robert slated to return in August/September and most teams unwilling to make a deal until June/July anyway, I don’t see the need to make a big trade unless you acquire an outfielder with a few seasons of control. Acquiring a high leverage reliever at the deadline could serve more useful for this team this season.

Andujar is literally a piece of garbage.

If the Sox were a legit org they would give up Lambert/Ruiz plus one of Sheets/Adolfo/Rutherford and pick up Blackmon.  I'd be shocked if the Rockies wouldn't do that and jump for joy.  But JR wants that guy's deal down to like $6-7M per I would think for a deal to get done, which would probably necessitate throwing in a much better prospect, IF the Rockies are even interested in players over salary relief (they're not).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

If the Sox were a legit org they would give up Lambert/Ruiz plus one of Sheets/Adolfo/Rutherford and pick up Blackmon.  I'd be shocked if the Rockies wouldn't do that and jump for joy.  But JR wants that guy's deal down to like $6-7M per I would think for a deal to get done, which would probably necessitate throwing in a much better prospect, IF the Rockies are even interested in players over salary relief (they're not).

And Blackmon 1) can no longer play CF, and 2) is around 75-80 wrc+ playing at Coors, and is 3) vastly overpaid and aging quickly.

Andujar isn’t a good defender but he was almost Rookie of the Year three seasons ago, mostly injured the last two years.

You’re certainly not going to pick up hitters like that at peak value. 

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I just don’t see a scenario Jerry eats such a large contract, especially this early in the season.

Assuming perhaps a few to several more million may be available this season, I’d rather muddle through at this point with the current OF options, and save the cash for July. You never know what will happen with pitching, and this year is especially challenging due to the ramp up from 60 to 162 games, plus perhaps up to 20 + more if the Sox have a successful postseason run.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

And Blackmon 1) can no longer play CF, and 2) is around 75-80 wrc+ playing at Coors, and is 3) vastly overpaid and aging quickly.

Andujar isn’t a good defender but he was almost Rookie of the Year three seasons ago, mostly injured the last two years.

You’re certainly not going to pick up hitters like that at peak value. 

I'm thinking about a LF, not a CF.  We will have to make due with Leury until Engel is out there.  We can't "replace" Robert, but by tightening up LF defensively we can help things out.

Miguel Andujar, as I like to say it, is Domingo Santana.  Domingo Santana is a FA.  If you want Domingo Santana, just go sign Domingo Santana.  I'd personally rather have the real Dayan Viciedo whose numbers have last I checked gone up in Japan, than the poor man's Dayan Viciedo who some people think is actually not a rangeless piece of no-walk garbage DH just on account of the team he plays for.  In terms of overinflated Yankees guys, Andujar takes all of the cake, and he obviously eats it too.  Total piece of trash.

5 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I'm thinking about a LF, not a CF.  We will have to make due with Leury until Engel is out there.  We can't "replace" Robert, but by tightening up LF defensively we can help things out.

Miguel Andujar, as I like to say it, is Domingo Santana.  Domingo Santana is a FA.  If you want Domingo Santana, just go sign Domingo Santana.  I'd personally rather have the real Dayan Viciedo whose numbers have last I checked gone up in Japan, than the poor man's Dayan Viciedo who some people think is actually not a rangeless piece of no-walk garbage DH just on account of the team he plays for.  In terms of overinflated Yankees guys, Andujar takes all of the cake, and he obviously eats it too.  Total piece of trash.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/miguel-andujar/15878/stats?position=3B
You realize Eloy Jimenez hasn’t put up even a 2, while Andujar was at 2.8 in 2018?

Comparisons to Viciedo and Santana?  Why not Hensley Bam Bam Meulens?

56 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/miguel-andujar/15878/stats?position=3B
You realize Eloy Jimenez hasn’t put up even a 2, while Andujar was at 2.8 in 2018?

Comparisons to Viciedo and Santana?  Why not Hensley Bam Bam Meulens?

He is a shit 3B with no range.  He also doesn't walk.  He's a DH who doesn't walk.  Thus he's Domingo Santana.  He's garbage.  You can split hairs about which other shitty player he is more like or more not like, but he's still a shitty player who doesn't belong anywhere near this team.

• Like 1