Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

4 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Andujar is literally a piece of garbage.

If the Sox were a legit org they would give up Lambert/Ruiz plus one of Sheets/Adolfo/Rutherford and pick up Blackmon.  I'd be shocked if the Rockies wouldn't do that and jump for joy.  But JR wants that guy's deal down to like $6-7M per I would think for a deal to get done, which would probably necessitate throwing in a much better prospect, IF the Rockies are even interested in players over salary relief (they're not).

I love takes like this. When is the last time you saw a real OF dealt in the 2nd week of May?  It just doesn't happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/miguel-andujar/15878/stats?position=3B
You realize Eloy Jimenez hasn’t put up even a 2, while Andujar was at 2.8 in 2018?

Comparisons to Viciedo and Santana?  Why not Hensley Bam Bam Meulens?

Eloy was on pace for a 5+ WAR season in a non-shortened season. I can’t seriously believe that you advocate for acquiring Andujar to play the outfield. This has to be a joke, right?

• Like 3

Not about to look thru 23 pages so maybe he’s been mentioned...but what about Tyler Naquin from Cinci? He’s gotta come at a reasonable price, costs essentially nothing $ wise, is familiar with the division pitching, and can play CF adequately. He’s probably hitting above his head at the moment, but he has legit pop and  would bring more to the team than Luery/Mendick

41 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Eloy was on pace for a 5+ WAR season in a non-shortened season. I can’t seriously believe that you advocate for acquiring Andujar to play the outfield. This has to be a joke, right?

I haven't seen very many realistic names mentioned.  Sure, it would be nice to have Ketel Marte, Mitch Haniger or even Starling Marte, but guys like that cost (significantly) more.

The Yankees have a logjam when Voit comes back.

Maybe Brett Gardner would be willing to play for the White Sox, but he would be blocked by Vaughn and obviously isn't a CFer.

Andujar can play 3B, 1B, and DH as well.

It wouldn't be all about LF.   And, for the time being, Mendick's going to push Lamb out if he keeps this up.   So the goal is to improve the bench one player at a time.   Eventually, Leury will be back there as well, Collins obviously shares catcher.   Would like to have one more really potent bat off the bench.

Of course, if Eloy and Robert come back 100%, this isn't a critical need, either, but nobody knows exactly what will transpire.

Unless you get someone for almost nothing, I would probably just ride with what we got for the most part until Robert and Eloy come back. Have Engel replace Hamilton or Lamb , platoon him with Eaton in RF, who has been terrible against lefties this year (albeit SSS), and keep looking at guys who get released and shit.

Edit: the division sucks so as long as the pitching holds up, Vaughn is starting basically every day, and other guys in the lineup get going, they should be fine.

Edited by manbearpuig

Three months of Blackmon at a reduced price is better than hoping Engel, Leury, Eaton, and AAA fodder can hold it together out there til late August.

Perhaps, they can get Colorado to cover part of his 2022 Player option as well.

1 minute ago, knightni said:

Three months of Blackmon at a reduced price is better than hoping Engel, Leury, Eaton, and AAA fodder can hold it together out there til late August.

Perhaps, they can get Colorado to cover part of his 2022 Player option as well.

Blackmon is pretty far down the list IMO. The dream would be Gallo. Bryant would be super nice. And I'd rather shoot for Tapia than Blackmon. But I agree with your overall point. 

4 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Unless you get someone for almost nothing, I would probably just ride with what we got for the most part until Robert and Eloy come back. Have Engel replace Hamilton or Lamb and keep looking at guys who get released and shit.

I think the challenge is that Eaton isn’t exactly a beacon of health and adding another OF may be prudent.  Just feels like we should invest in another OF no matter how well things are going at the moment or how much confidence we have in Engel being a solid CF placeholder.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think the challenge is that Eaton isn’t exactly a beacon of health and adding another OF may be prudent.  Just feels like we should invest in another OF no matter how well things are going at the moment or how much confidence we have in Engel being a solid CF placeholder.

They're already playing an entire outfield of guys who aren't really outfielders, they need to bring someone in. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I haven't seen very many realistic names mentioned.  Sure, it would be nice to have Ketel Marte, Mitch Haniger or even Starling Marte, but guys like that cost (significantly) more.

The Yankees have a logjam when Voit comes back.

Maybe Brett Gardner would be willing to play for the White Sox, but he would be blocked by Vaughn and obviously isn't a CFer.

Andujar can play 3B, 1B, and DH as well.

It wouldn't be all about LF.   And, for the time being, Mendick's going to push Lamb out if he keeps this up.   So the goal is to improve the bench one player at a time.   Eventually, Leury will be back there as well, Collins obviously shares catcher.   Would like to have one more really potent bat off the bench.

Of course, if Eloy and Robert come back 100%, this isn't a critical need, either, but nobody knows exactly what will transpire.

I think you think Andújar is a different player. 

Looking at statcast and dWAR, he's worse than Eloy. So, yes, hypothetically he is defensively versatile. But so is Yermin, hypothetically.

8 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Think ChiSox Mike mentioned it but Crochet for Gallo, Sox need to make that deal if it’s actually a possibility, right? 

I kind of get the feeling that Crochet will never be a starter here (based on really nothing of course) so I wouldn't mind trading him. I just wish we could get someone with more control though.

22 minutes ago, mqr said:

Blackmon is pretty far down the list IMO. The dream would be Gallo. Bryant would be super nice. And I'd rather shoot for Tapia than Blackmon. But I agree with your overall point. 

Unless you're moving Eaton to CF, all Bryant does is put Yermin or Vaughn on the bench.  Obviously he's a great hitter that you make space in the linup for, but if you gotta give up Crochet for 3 months of him while not really solving the problem...I'll pass. If they're gonna add someone, it needs to be someone who can play CF passably. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Unless you're moving Eaton to CF, all Bryant does is put Yermin or Vaughn on the bench.  Obviously he's a great hitter that you make space in the linup for, but if you gotta give up Crochet for 3 months of him while not really solving the problem...I'll pass. If they're gonna add someone, it needs to be someone who can play CF passably. 

Yeah, probably Gallo. And then when everyone comes back, you move Eaton to a bench role (if he's not on IL).

Edited by manbearpuig

Engel is back in a couple weeks. If you're going to acquire someone, it needs to be someone who can play CF almost as well as Engel and hit much better than him or it doesn't make sense, and I don't see that out there right now. Vaughn is looking good in LF and apparently Mendick is a RF option.

One of Lamb or Hamilton will be gone when Engel is back, and if you can marginally upgrade the other without giving up anything of value, that's the move to make.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Yeah, probably Gallo. And then when everyone comes back, you move Eaton to a bench role (if he's not on IL).

Yeah, I guess.  I am personally not in love with Gallo by any means, but he's probably the best fit.  I would hate a Crochet for Gallo deal. I also would really prefer not to deal Kelley or Cespedes.   

If you could get him for something headlined by Thompson/Dalquist, with secondary pieces like Adolfo/Rutherford/Gonzalez and Ramos/Bailey/Rodriguez/Gladney, sure I'd do it. But I don't see that happening.

One thing I do know - Gallo would quickly join Yaz as the Soxtalk whipping boys.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I guess.  I am personally not in love with Gallo by any means, but he's probably the best fit.  I would hate a Crochet for Gallo deal. I also would really prefer not to deal Kelley or Cespedes.   

If you could get him for something headlined by Thompson/Dalquist, with secondary pieces like Adolfo/Rutherford/Gonzalez and Ramos/Bailey/Rodriguez/Gladney, sure I'd do it. But I don't see that happening.

One thing I do know - Gallo would quickly join Yaz as the Soxtalk whipping boys.  

I too don't love Gallo and absolutely would be pissed if we dealth Kelley/Crochet for him. Seems like a panic move. I am in the stand pat, or sign someone camp.  

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah...I'm more leaning towards standing pat and going with Vaughn as the primary LF and Eaton, Garcia, Hamilton, Engel, Goodwin covering CF and RF. Maybe Mendick against some lefties depending on the rest of the roster construction. Lamb can just go away.

Edited by manbearpuig

12 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Engel is back in a couple weeks. If you're going to acquire someone, it needs to be someone who can play CF almost as well as Engel and hit much better than him or it doesn't make sense, and I don't see that out there right now. Vaughn is looking good in LF and apparently Mendick is a RF option.

One of Lamb or Hamilton will be gone when Engel is back, and if you can marginally upgrade the other without giving up anything of value, that's the move to make.

I think your take on this is basically where I am at.  Charlie Blackmon is the only name I hear mentioned that has some interest on my part.  I don't want to give up anything of significance because the outfield problem abates significantly when Engel returns.

53 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I think your take on this is basically where I am at.  Charlie Blackmon is the only name I hear mentioned that has some interest on my part.  I don't want to give up anything of significance because the outfield problem abates significantly when Engel returns.

Rockies aren’t going to have a new GM give away too much like they did with Arenado...even with Blackmon dramatically underperforming.  And White Sox usually don’t take on bigger than $10+ million commitments during the season.  Who knows, the late stage career “big name” player addition is typical Sox, although often more sizzle/marketing than steak.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 2

I like to imagine the Sox had made the minor trade  for cash considerations after the Cardinals DFA'd   Cuban OF Adolis Garcia  like the Rangers did . The Cards DFA'd him on Dec. 18, 2019 and TX. traded for him on Dec.21

Adolis Garcia  signed an IFA contract in 2017 with the Cards for $2.5M

Randy Arozarena was another Cuban Cards OF prospect  signed in 2016 for $1.25M . The Rays traded for him but gave up a top pitching prospect for him because they were loaded with young talent in the minors especially pitchers. Unlike Garcia, Arozarena had a big AAA season but the Ray's traded  recent draft choice and top 50 prospect Matt Liberatore who had a nice season in A ball. Jan.9, 2020 was the trade that involved more players than I mentioned.

Seems like a Rays type of deal. Give up good A level talent for MLB ready talent.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/rays-acquire-jose-martinez-randy-arozarena-from-cardinals.html

These are the type of trades the Sox should be making anytime. No reason whatsoever to take on aging guys with high contracts like Blackmon or even to give up too much talent for a prototypical 3 outcome player like Gallo.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1