Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

TLR exercises the same level of moderation with his fringey bench players as he does with his alcohol.  The trick for Hahn as his handler/babysitter/GM is to refrain from tempting him too much and try to get guys on the roster who will be at least somewhat useful even if he abuses them.  He's really cornering the market on light hitting fast OFers though and something is going to have to change here.  I mean we have Leury as the best guy but then there's Hamilton Goodwin Williams and Gonzalez all right there.  Maybe Hahn can get him to play Danny in the OF more and that would help.  But really you don't need any of these other shitty hitting OFers if Leury and Mendick are already here and both are playing the OF along with Vaughn.  

Yes, they're prioritizing speed and in some cases defense over power/RBI's, and that's a bit dangerous considering how weak/thin the offensive numbers are unless Vaughn suddenly rediscovers his NCAA power stroke and Eaton gets himself back to at least 85-90%.

Goodwin isn't a very good, defender, but his overall 772 MLB ops number is nothing to sneeze at...that said, he's past his peak and wouldn't expect anything much beyond 700-725 in this offense-challenged season so far.  Maybe it will shift back to normal over the summer months, but a low 230's MLB overall batting average is pretty abysmal, and it goes beyond the shift taking away base hits up the middle from a decade or two ago.

Look, the White Sox need an outfielder and the Angels are going nowhere this year for the usual reasons. How about the Angels loan Mike Trout (trade to the Sox this year with an automatic trade-back clause after season’s end)? Let the man win a ring. They can have Yermín Mercedes for their trouble.
-- @fluffsbanker
This is my favorite question of the week. For starters, this would be shot down by the Commissioner’s Office in about three seconds. I like the creativity, though.

While Mike Trout would seemingly have a better shot to win a ring with the White Sox this year, would it be a lock? Also, given his salary, would Chicago trade Yermín Mercedes and his five-plus years of control for a few months of Trout? That’s kind of a fascinating question, actually.

Trade Deadline questions, possibilities (mlb.com)

1 hour ago, manbearpuig said:

Time for a cup of coffee in the MLB with an Eaton IL stint?

I would guess that there are at least 2 guys at Charlotte ahead of Blake, in the event that someone is called up, to play RF. Both Sheets and the newly acquired Goodwin would be more likely than Rutherford. He still has a lot to prove in his disappointing Minor League career. Nick Williams may also be ahead of him, on the depth chart. They really could use someone from outside of the organization. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Id take a Ben Sheets or Rutherford right now to sub out one of Garcia, Hamilton, or Eaton. 

Eaton and Garcia aren’t going anywhere...not until at least July or August.

Hamilton should only be a PR, designated bunter and defensive replacement.

19 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Id take a Ben Sheets or Rutherford right now to sub out one of Garcia, Hamilton, or Eaton. 

FYI: Gavin Sheets' father is Larry, but there was also Ben Sheets, the pitcher, who I don't think is related. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

I would guess that there are at least 2 guys at Charlotte ahead of Blake, in the event that someone is called up, to play RF. Both Sheets and the newly acquired Goodwin would be more likely than Rutherford. He still has a lot to prove in his disappointing Minor League career. Nick Williams may also be ahead of him, on the depth chart. They really could use someone from outside of the organization. 

Goodwin and that .148 average should not be seeing Chicago anytime soon.

• Thanks 2

Engel must have the worst hamstring injury of all time.  Is there anything known about what is going on?  Just like Vaughn and Mercedes befit from the Eloy injury...this would have been a golden opportunity for Engel to show the kind of player he has the potential to be.  

17 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Goodwin and that .148 average should not be seeing Chicago anytime soon.

Yes, he hasn't done anything at Charlotte to justify being called up. However, it's a very small sample size and he does have a Major League resume. If he can shake off the rust, I suspect that he is the guy, whom they will call up, unless they acquire someone else.

Just now, poppysox said:

Engel must have the worst hamstring injury of all time.  Is there anything known about what is going on?  Just like Vaughn and Mercedes befit from the Eloy injury...this would have been a golden opportunity for Engel to show the kind of player he has the potential to be.  

James Fegan posted video the other day of him running. After a likely AAA assignment to get his timing, I'm looking forward to his return and hopeful continuance of the major steps he took hitting in 2020. I believe he can provide vital contributions in the OF, even when Robert returns.

While you really rather have your regulars available, if Eloy makes a full recovery later this season, this may truly be a "blessing in disguise", both for his career (quickened transition out of LF) and the opportunities provided to Vaughn in LF and Yermin at DH. Yermin would likely not have made the team if Eloy remained healthy.

13 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Yes, he hasn't done anything at Charlotte to justify being called up. However, it's a very small sample size and he does have a Major League resume. If he can shake off the rust, I suspect that he is the guy, whom they will call up, unless they acquire someone else.

In order of who I want to see called up:

1. Sheets

2. Rutherford

3. Goodwin

Sheets and Rutherford are currently hitting I'd like for them to ride with the hot hand. 

Fortunately, all left-handed bats.

Edited by manbearpuig

8 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

In order of who I want to see called up:

1. Sheets

2. Rutherford

3. Goodwin

Sheets and Rutherford are currently hitting I'd like for them to ride with the hot hand. 

Fortunately, all left-handed bats.

For me:

1. Sheets

2. Luis Gonzalez

3. Marco Hernandez

4. Rutherford

5. Seby Zavala

6. Me

7. Goodwin