Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

On 5/22/2021 at 11:14 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Are we actually still evaluating offensive production based on BA in this day and age?

When it's a woeful .209 and you K 37% of the time, then yes.  His mighty .331 OPB doesn't make up for that crap.
Sox have been through this before and it was ugly.  He's another sports-center highlights from 3 seasons ago player.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

When it's a woeful .209 and you K 37% of the time, then yes.  His mighty .331 OPB doesn't make up for that crap.
Sox have been through this before and it was ugly.  He's another sports-center highlights from 3 seasons ago player.

Who do you suggest, then?  I am not a big Gallo guy by any means, but there isn't exactly a plethora of options.  Gallo is basically the RF version of Grandal, so he wouldn't go over very well here, but he is a well above average ball player even with the poor batting average.  My biggest issue is acquisition cost.  If we could get him for mishmash of guys unlikely ever to be serious contributors to the Sox the next 4-6 seasons - I'd be all for it.  But I don't see that all that likely.  

11 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who do you suggest, then? 

I wouldn't do anything.  I don't think a guy like Gallo helps much and that's the level of player reasonably available.  Not interested in paying a premium price for a good player.  And, of course, I don't trust the FO to properly execute the trade, due to its inglorious history in trades for veterans.

On 5/22/2021 at 11:14 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Are we actually still evaluating offensive production based on BA in this day and age?

There is a point where a hitter gets so few hits that the other things that he brings to the table are somewhat negated by his inability to get a hit. I like to call it the Sox Adam Dunn rule. 

In my opinion, that threshold is about .230 If a player is below this line, then the value of the power and walks are diminished. 

We shall dub it the Dunn Line, as Adam Dunn walked that line during the most productive parts of his career. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 4

I would assume the Sox explored Gallo as part of the Mazara and/or Lynn discussions. I think there were rumors to that effect, too. I assume if they didn't trade for him then the price was too high, and I doubt it's come down a ton - Gallo has not hit for power this year so he might be a bit more reasonable, but losing the main reason you'd acquire him makes me really nervous.

Overall I really don't think the Sox will be making any moves for an outfielder, especially right now. It's still early enough where a number of teams still have hope, so your market is limited to the bottom feeders outside our division, and you don't have too many options there. By the time more teams are looking to make trades you'll be near the deadline and you might be close to getting Eloy and Robert back, so why make a trade? You can run just fine with Eloy/Robert/Vaughn/Engel/Eaton.

1 hour ago, Blackout Friday said:

I like the idea of ketel marte. He can fill in for cf until Robert is back, and then he  can essentially fill leury’s role as (a much better) 2b/SS/of. He’d likely cost someone like crochet and some lesser pieces, however. 

Ketel Marte is an absolute stud, hes not a CF fill in and then super sub

He'd likely cost more than we would be willing to consider

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

He's someone you would trade for and then play at 2B when everyone is back.

Trade your entire minor league system for...basically.

And Gallo is unlikely to move since the Rangers/Astros are leading MLB in attendance and don’t have any desperation to simply dump payroll.  They will be more than happy to trade DeShields, though.

Haniger and Starling Marte upon return to full health remain the best options, unless Hoyer loses his mind and trades Bryant to the White Sox.

But that’s also dependent upon a return to full health for Engel...manning CF.   And it would likely mean benching Eaton and admitting another $8 million was largely wasted except for the first 2-3 weeks of this season.

Then basically you’re forced to give away Madrigal for nothing in the process...but, other than that, swell idea.

Edited by caulfield12

Gallo is fine in a vacuum. like adam dunn is. They have a purpose and bring value in their own way. However you can't have a team of 9 Adam Dunn's or 9 Yasmani Grandal. you need a mix which is why someone like madrigal (although somewhat disliked it seems) brings to the table. I don't want Gallo for a few reasons: His acquisition cost probably outweighs his value IMO and B) I don't want him slotting in the lineup. I'd hate to have an inning with Abreu and Yermin on with nobody out and then Moncada, Grandal and Gallo come up. Again, nothing against those guys individually. I just don't want a team where it's always a 3 outcome event. 

Ketel Marte would be super interesting. David Peralta makes sense too. Josh Reddick could even fill the void nicely. If you want to go all out ... Nick Castellanos ... maybe Mitch Haniger... Mariners are on the up and up, but its his last year and they Julio Rodriguez and Trammell looking for a spot. 

Eaton is really the key to this all though. If he can be a .275 hitter and stay healthy then I think you can sit tight or make a move on the margins rather than try to swing something big. This is also counting on Engel to do his job at 75% of what he did last year. I think between Engel, Eaton and Vaughn you should be able to field a passable OF for a few months. 

10 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Gallo is fine in a vacuum. like adam dunn is. They have a purpose and bring value in their own way. However you can't have a team of 9 Adam Dunn's or 9 Yasmani Grandal. you need a mix which is why someone like madrigal (although somewhat disliked it seems) brings to the table. I don't want Gallo for a few reasons: His acquisition cost probably outweighs his value IMO and B) I don't want him slotting in the lineup. I'd hate to have an inning with Abreu and Yermin on with nobody out and then Moncada, Grandal and Gallo come up. Again, nothing against those guys individually. I just don't want a team where it's always a 3 outcome event. 

Ketel Marte would be super interesting. David Peralta makes sense too. Josh Reddick could even fill the void nicely. If you want to go all out ... Nick Castellanos ... maybe Mitch Haniger... Mariners are on the up and up, but its his last year and they Julio Rodriguez and Trammell looking for a spot. 

Eaton is really the key to this all though. If he can be a .275 hitter and stay healthy then I think you can sit tight or make a move on the margins rather than try to swing something big. This is also counting on Engel to do his job at 75% of what he did last year. I think between Engel, Eaton and Vaughn you should be able to field a passable OF for a few months. 

Something between 2018/19.

Last year was an abject disaster.

This year, he’s looking at 2-2.5 fWAR if he continues at his current pace.   Of course, that’s a HUGE question mark.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/adam-eaton/11205/stats?position=OF

Castellanos being one of the hottest hitters in baseball and with that contract is pretty much a no go...even though the Reds are likely going nowhere and will eventually look to trade Sonny Gray or Luis Castillo if he continues to struggle like he has for most of 2021.

Edited by caulfield12

I think we have to see what Engel brings to the table when he returns.  If he starts that first week with horrible ABs, Sox are going to have to shop for a "meh" LH  OF bat that costs little in the way of talent.  If his ABs look good, regardless  of production, I think we roll with what we've got coupled with internal moves.

11 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I think we have to see what Engel brings to the table when he returns.  If he starts that first week with horrible ABs, Sox are going to have to shop for a "meh" LH  OF bat that costs little in the way of talent.  If his ABs look good, regardless  of production, I think we roll with what we've got coupled with internal moves.

Any instant offense expectations for Adan Engel just coming off of the DL are just setting yourself up for disappointment. 

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Any instant offense expectations for Adan Engel just coming off of the DL are just setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Agreed.  Just stick him out in CF and let him work off the rust.  It probably won't be pretty the first few weeks but it's still better than Leury and it has to be done.

Same for Eloy and Robert when they first come back.  I don't expect either one to come out of the gate mashing.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't expect production, per se, just a judgement of how rusty he is.  If he looks completely lost at the plate after a week's worth of games, we've got a problem.  If he has poor BABIP but is having good/decent ABs, so be it, we can expect him to produce at some point soon and can resist trading away any talent.

If the starting pitching continues along its current trendline that will keep us afloat for a couple months with this lineup.  Plus I think the bullpen will improve, and Vaughn will improve to offset possible decline in Yermin's production. I hope we don't blow any significant assets for what will likely amount -- at very best -- to an additional win or two in July 2021.

4 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Engel could solve CF but that still leaves RF