GT 5/5: SOX at CIN

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

How many times is he basically going to apologize for his actions in the post game press conference in a full season?

Not knowing the rules should honestly be a fireable offense. That's... his only job and baseball doesn't exactly have a lot of rules.

• Like 2

I actually don't hate the steal attempt.  They were peppering Hamilton with breaking balls. Just happened to be a fastball and a perfect pitch to throw on.  And it's not like it was the bottom half of the inning where one run wins the game. I was hoping for two runs.

But I can't understand pitching to Winker. Terrible decision, and not just in hindsight. I was screaming for them to walk him before a pitch was even thrown.

1 minute ago, RagahRagah said:

Ok, I didn't see any of this game. Checking out the thread to see what happened, and... Hendriks as the runner? I must be misunderstanding you. What happened?

They double switched to put Hendriks as the last batted out so that spot was the runner on second in the 10th.

BUT if it's the pitcher spot, you can go one batter further up the lineup for your runner on second

Just now, Greg Hibbard said:

The follow up questions should be "so you don't think Billy Hamilton can get the bat on the ball there? Then why is he batting?"

Dead to rights and it wasn’t a mistake?

This is becoming a daily comedy sketch.

As my mom is 92 and suffers from dementia/Alzheimer’s but is totally lucid about the 1930’s and 40’s, starting to feel sorry for LaRussa being so out of touch...but equally angry with Reinsdorf for putting him in this position in the first place.

Forced Ventura into managing as well...partly to protect finger pointing at the front office.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

I hate La Russa as much as the next guy, and he should obviously know the rules, but the offense needs more than 0 runs in 10 innings. That's why we lost.

I get that but when the manager handicaps you to the point of almost preventing runs without a miracle......

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Ozzie questioning why Billy Hamilton was hitting.  Second time they counted on him late, second time he struck out.

It's cause there's no one to play the OF if they sub him out. That one is on Hahn.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not knowing the rules should honestly be a fireable offense. That's... his only job and baseball doesn't exactly have a lot of rules.

I honestly would have been happier with an answer of "I hate this extra inning bullshit".  I would say alright then...on to KC.

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

I actually don't hate the steal attempt.  They were peppering Hamilton with breaking balls. Just happened to be a fastball and a perfect pitch to throw on.  And it's not like it was the bottom half of the inning where one run wins the game. I was hoping for two runs.

But I can't understand pitching to Winker. Terrible decision, and not just in hindsight. I was screaming for them to walk him before a pitch was even thrown.

But it wasn’t even close...and you still need Hamilton to somehow make contact, barring a wild pitch.

3 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

I hate La Russa as much as the next guy, and he should obviously know the rules, but the offense needs more than 0 runs in 10 innings. That's why we lost.

They were in a position to score, but their manager decided he didn't think it was a good idea.

They needed 1 run there. They put themself in a position to get one, and the manager removed that chance.

12 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Someone better have some balls from the media to ask LaRussa wtf he's doing in the after game presser.

James f**an fucking read Tony the rule book as one of the question.

TONY LARUSSA DIDBT KNOW THE FUCKING RULE.

Tony could have elected to have the runner before Hendriks to run since Hendriks is a pitcher, but TONY CHOOSE TO RUN HENDRIKS BECAUSE HE DUSNT JNOW THE FUCKING RULE

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They were in a position to score, but their manager decided he didn't think it was a good idea.

They needed 1 run there. They put themself in a position to get one, and the manager removed that chance.

And if they had scratched across 1 run in the previous 9 innings it would have been a moot point. TLR sucks, but so did the offense. 

5 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

The game was very winnable despite the offense not showing up

Just now, caulfield12 said:

But it wasn’t even close...and you still need Hamilton to somehow make contact, barring a wild pitch.

If that's the same breaking ball he was throwing before that pitch, I believe Leury is safe (or Hamilton puts it in play).

And yes, Hamilton needs to make contact, but if he doesn't, you need a base hit by Lamb. I would want that potential hit by Lamb to score two runs.

Just now, wegner said:

I honestly would have been happier with an answer of "I hate this extra inning bullshit".  I would say alright then...on to KC.

He argued with Fegan, who I think asked the question, and Fegan had to reread the rule so the old guy could understand better.

I don't know how you keep the clubhouse after these gaffe's. Managers usually mean very little - using the "wrong pitcher" in our opinion is a gaffe usually which has a small variance from expected outcomes. Not knowing the rules put Hendriks at risk on the bases, and then puts the team behind in their chance to win. Pretty amazing incompetence you don't see everyday.

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

They double switched to put Hendriks as the last batted out so that spot was the runner on second in the 10th.

BUT if it's the pitcher spot, you can go one batter further up the lineup for your runner on second

F.I.R.E.A.B.L.E.

3 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

LaRussa doesn't look well.  JR should think of his health and pay off his contract.  Jirschele should be managing the team starting Friday.

His press conferences look like a hostage situation video where the hostage hasn’t slept in a week 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Marqhead said:

And if they had scratched across 1 run in the previous 9 innings it would have been a moot point. TLR sucks, but so did the offense. 

Maybe? Maybe not. Maybe Lamb goes yard and shocks the world. They held them to zero runs through 10. Things can be different when trailing in that 10th inning than tied. The managers job is to know the rules.

Pretty deflating to score zero there.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

There was nobody on the bench to play the OF if Hamilton is removed for a PH, Eaton basically has a hamstring injury but they're playing it day to day with him insteadnof putting him on the IL yesterday and calling up somebody from the minors

this was probably the worst game I've seen all year when you have a complete and total failure all the way through the organization, from the hitters, to management all the way up to the FO and ultimately JR for hiring a guy who's sundowning

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic