GT 5/5: SOX at CIN

4 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Sooo I know the offense lost the game, but Liam has not been worth 55 million. 

He hasn't been great but he would have been better IMO if he wasn't running the bases 

Just now, mqr said:

Is it not Tony's job to say 'Hey (Insert Coach here) you are in charge of knowing this rule inside and out."

the point of my post wasn't to take the blame off TLR, it was to point out how laughable our staff is

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

Matt Spegel reported talk in the clubhouse indicates coaches are intimidated at trying to correct La Russa.

Ethan Katz could stay, everyone else can be flushed down the toilet.

Of course they’re intimidated. They know Hahn got stepped on by Jerry, so they have know power with regards to Tony.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You need to add context.  TLR was confident they would throw Hamilton another breaking ball because he looked terrible on the first two (I'm sure everyone watching was expecting another breaking ball...I definitely was).  If he does throw another breaking ball, it's either low and inside, which gives Leury a very high probability of being safe, or he hangs it in the zone, which gives Hamilton a chance to put it in play.

Yeah, no. We'll agree to disagree. A steal attempt with Garcia decreases your expected runs there. Guy stole 15 bags in 600 AB's in 2019. Caught 5 times. Even picking his spots in 2019 perfectly he was caught 25% of the time.

No point in arguing about it though.

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Is it not Tony's job to say 'Hey (Insert Coach here) you are in charge of knowing this rule inside and out."

It’s Tony’s job to know what he doesn’t know and surround himself with people who know what he doesn’t know.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Tony’s hand-picked guy you mean

This actually doesn't really make sense if it's supposed to be an indictment.  Hendriks was far and away the best guy available unless you wanted to run it up the hill again with Colome.  He needs to pitch better but also not run bases when he could be talking about the next group of players he will be facing with his pitching coach in the dugout

If I am not mistaken, this is the 2nd time this year we have been scoreless through 9 to lose in bullshittery fashion in the 10th.  Starting pitching has been great but the offense has to damn step up.

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

This actually doesn't really make sense if it's supposed to be an indictment.  Hendriks was far and away the best guy available unless you wanted to run it up the hill again with Colome.  He needs to pitch better but also not run bases when he could be talking about the next group of players he will be facing with his pitching coach in the dugout

I think the implication there is not only did he not know the rule,  but he had double switched to put himself in that position

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mqr said:

They double switched to put Hendriks as the last batted out so that spot was the runner on second in the 10th.

BUT if it's the pitcher spot, you can go one batter further up the lineup for your runner on second

... Interesting.

9 minutes ago, mqr said:

I kinda sorta thought that was the whole point of having a bench coach.  

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Of course they’re intimidated. They know Hahn got stepped on by Jerry, so they have know power with regards to Tony.

One of many factors I don't think people considered about how bad the hire was.

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I honestly think it's Hahn's guy, if I'm not mistaken he's gone on record saying he tried acquiring him the year prior.  

7 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think the implication there is not only did he not know the rule,  but he had double switched to put himself in that position

It seemed the implication that was being made was not of this game and the decisions within but of the decision that was made to sign Hendriks because he was Tony's guy

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

It seemed the implication that was being made was not of this game and the decisions within but of the decision that was made to sign Hendriks because he was Tony's guy

No, it was for this game, not about the signing. All the relievers on the market sucked besides Melancon it seems.

31 minutes ago, fathom said:

Pitching to Winker is probably the dumbest decision of all

It's splitting hairs but I would ve preferred every attempt to get a run and be ahead entering the inning. Yes pinching to Winker was really dumb but 2 and 3rd and no outs the Sox probably lose no matter what anyway. If Hendricks isn't used to run and Leury does attempt to steal maybe Barnhardt doesn't throw the ball through to 2nd . Could the Sox have used Mendick in that situation? Lot's of stuff to consider since I'm not well versed in the rules in that situation either. Bummer couldve pitched the 10th . No sense using Hendriks again . Get a run and use another pitcher.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

47 minutes ago, wegner said:

Hot Take Alert....Not really his fault but I am not enjoying the Liam Hendriks experience.

I don't think this is a hot take.  He hasn't been impressive.  Giving up the back to back 2 strike hits there, while it wasn't the biggest issue in extras (far from it, sadly) wasn't great.  As you said, not his fault, but he has to get some outs.  

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

I don't think this is a hot take.  He hasn't been impressive.  Giving up the back to back 2 strike hits there, while it wasn't the biggest issue in extras (far from it, sadly) wasn't great.  As you said, not his fault, but he has to get some outs.  

He has no confidence in his slider. We saw how that goes with him in Game 2 last year 

20 minutes ago, wegner said:

If I am not mistaken, this is the 2nd time this year we have been scoreless through 9 to lose in bullshittery fashion in the 10th.  Starting pitching has been great but the offense has to damn step up.

I get the feeling we aren't winning a game in extras all year.  They just don't execute well.  They have played like complete and utter garbage in extras every chance they have had.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

If Abreu is running, the throw still goes through to second.

Also opens up a squeeze chance. Can you imagine the outrage if Hendriks got hurt running and then this news comes out?

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic