GT 5/5: SOX at CIN

1 hour ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Frank and Ozzie claiming 99% of other MLB teams don't know that rule.  What bullshit!  

Yeah there is no excuse for not being thoroughly familiar with a new rule that impacts the outcome to such a high degree. They should have had that studied backwards and forwards. TLR is a frickin lawyer for crying out loud

Edited by Vulture
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mokena94 said:

Agree 100% with all of these. 

1. Why not double switch Mendick for Madrigal, instead of Lamb for Vaughn.

3. Sounds like LaRussa called for the steal, which is beyond ridiculous. Of course your top closer who probably has not been running bases in a few years, is not going to read that and score on the double steal. If trying to avoid the DP, the IF was playing for the play at home - Hamilton is unlikely to be doubled up - and most of all Hamilton would have to actually make contact with the ball.

5. Hamilton absolutely should not have been allowed to bat in that situation. He is not a major league hitter, no way he could hit a fly ball that would be deep enough to score Hendricks. You have Collins, Mercedes, Mendick, and Eaton available to pinch hit. I get that Eaton is banged up, and needed a day off, but he can PH and play the field for an inning. 

Chose to not even watch the bottom of the 10th, knowing full well how it would play out.

Lastly, I will say that LaRussa not knowing that a pitcher does not have to be the runner is inexcusable. BUT, there are a helluva lot of coaches in the dugout and bullpen, and if none of them knew that rule either then that is quite an indictment on the entire staff and the organization that brought them in. It is time for LaRussa to step away, and I think the Hamilton/Garcia/Lamb days need to be over. You keep veterans who can contribute off the bench, not veterans who bring nothing.

Yermin was not available. Already used. Eaton also not available. But yeah, anyone but Hamilton there. 

2 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Investment savvy genius Reinsdorf spends all this money on payroll and brings in literally a stupid bum to manage the team

La Russa is like De Niro at the end of Jackie Brown. Just a pathetic shell loser version of himself.

This is a fantastic analogy

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

James f**an fucking read Tony the rule book as one of the question.

TONY LARUSSA DIDBT KNOW THE FUCKING RULE.

Tony could have elected to have the runner before Hendriks to run since Hendriks is a pitcher, but TONY CHOOSE TO RUN HENDRIKS BECAUSE HE DUSNT JNOW THE FUCKING RULE

To be fair, the rule didn’t exist in Tony’s time, so how should he know these things?

• Haha 1

I still don’t understand why, if LaRussa was so interested in a second and third, one out situation, with Hamilton at bat, why he didn’t have Leury bunt with runners on first and second and nobody out.  

Instead, we get the weak fielder’s choice from Leury followed by the ill-fated steal attempt.

All of the times when we bunt when we shouldn’t, and then the one time we probably should, we don’t.  

Just now, Thad Bosley said:

I still don’t understand why, if LaRussa was so interested in a second and third, one out situation, with Hamilton at bat, why he didn’t have Leury bunt with runners on first and second and nobody out.  

Instead, we get the weak fielder’s choice from Leury followed by the ill-fated steal attempt.

All of the times when we bunt when we shouldn’t, and then the one time we probably should, we don’t.  

A lot of the stuff TLR does makes no sense. 

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

If Garcia doesn't turn a single into a double in the 9th, I doubt Hendriks has to come into the game. If the umpire would have done his job and not called 2 strikes balls, Hendriks doesn't come into the game. TLR did some stupid shit, but those 2 things got us into a situation where he'd be allowed to make dumb moves.

Good post just thinking the same. Leury has some skill. More than us at least but he's a dumb player. Those guys don't play on winning teams

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You have to get one before you get two. Stealing there with a non-good base stealer doesn't increase the expected runs scored. In fact, it decreased it.

Plus it’s the bottom of the order.  You play for one there all day and hope that Tim, Nick, Jose, & Yoan can win it in the 11th if it comes to that.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, the rule didn’t exist in Tony’s time, so how should he know these things?

Fair? Not sure if you being serious are sarcastic.

MLB explained these rules this Spring. David Bell knew the rule. David Ross knew the rule when a similar situation occurred last week.

James Fegan, White Sox Beat Reporter, knew the rule.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yermin was not available. Already used. Eaton also not available. But yeah, anyone but Hamilton there. 

I saw that Yermin had been used my mistake on that. I get that Eaton is hurt, but he could have at the very least pinch hit - he is still on the roster. As you said, anyone but Hamilton. What the hell, send Dylan Cease up there, he certainly is a better hitter than Hamilton.

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Fair? Not sure if you being serious are sarcastic.

MLB explained these rules this Spring. David Bell knew the rule. David Ross knew the rule when a similar situation occurred last week.

James Fegan, White Sox Beat Reporter, knew the rule.

I’m just playing around, it’s 100% inexcusable to not know the extra innings rules.

1 minute ago, Chick Mercedes said:

So this extra innings rule is called the White Sox Killer?

Yup. We're benefiting from the 7 inning double headers rule though. So all in all, we're even in terms of Manfred rules.

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yup. We're benefiting from the 7 inning double headers rule though. So all in all, we're even in terms of Manfred rules.

I am an equal opportunity fan.  I hate both the 7 inning games for doubleheaders and runner on 2nd in the 10th.  For a 0-0 game to end like this is a crime IMO.

9 minutes ago, pcq said:

So many experts in one town. I would suggest the bench coach is the one to advise on rules. 

Apparently LaRussa tersely told his staff he was doing exactly what he wanted at some point in there.

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic