GT 5/5: SOX at CIN

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

This actually doesn't really make sense if it's supposed to be an indictment.  Hendriks was far and away the best guy available unless you wanted to run it up the hill again with Colome.  He needs to pitch better but also not run bases when he could be talking about the next group of players he will be facing with his pitching coach in the dugout

I can think of 55 million reasons, over 486 games why a 32 year old who was ridden like a rented mule shouldn't have been this team's most expensive acquisition this  offseason. His value was inflated, by insane usage patterns that included Hendriks pitching in 75 games in 2019, for the purposes of a pump-and-dump.

What's worse, is if this is supposed to be what Hendriks is NOW, how much shittier will he be at age 33 or 34, when Father Time just curb-stomps him? [Just think: An $18 MILLION future middle reliever can keep this org from landing a SP to replace Lynn or Rodon next offseason.]

OTOH, I can think of 6.25 million reasons, over a mere 162 games, why Colome would have been the superior FIT for this roster. [Given the self-imposed financial constraints.] There are/were other reasons why Colome would have fit better, if you count up all the closers-in-waiting that populate the MLB roster, and in MiLB for this org.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, pcq said:

So many experts in one town. I would suggest the bench coach is the one to advise on rules. 

This isn’t rocket appliances we’re talking about here. Even a dope like Lasorda could manage an mlb team

The biggest takeaway though is our staring pitching was great in Cincy against a very good offensive team.  We have 5 very capable starters right now.   

I hope  the FO has the foresight to realize this is a very good roster w one  major hole in the corner outfield that needs to be addressed.   

Indians just took the lead on the Royals, 5-4 in the top of the 9th.

Would be four consecutive losses for KC, and pretty sure that would be a three-way tie at the top of the division, at three games over .500.

Twins will likely lose to the Rangers again and be -7 and 5 games back, which doesn't sound THAT bad considering all the various problems every team in the division is handicapped with.

8 hours ago, turnin' two said:

I get the feeling we aren't winning a game in extras all year.  They just don't execute well.  They have played like complete and utter garbage in extras every chance they have had.  

I was hoping the hiring of a Hall of Famer would take away the "strangeness" of the Sox. You just knew after winning 9-0, the Sox would not score today. They coulda played all day and night and were not going to score. It's insane how that happens in baseball.

9 hours ago, fathom said:

Not sure if Tony knows the rules, but I don’t think you need the pitcher running at 2nd here.  

There’s some rule though it doesn’t have to be the last out necessarily 

I’m also pretty certain Abreu could have been allowed to run instead of Hendriks.

@fathom knew the rule, but the Hall Of Shame manager never heard of it.  I'd rather have fathom manage the Sox instead of LaRussa, but I'd hate to lose him as a poster here.  

1 minute ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

@fathom knew the rule, but the Hall Of Shame manager never heard of it.  I'd rather have fathom manage the Sox instead of LaRussa, but I'd hate to lose him as a poster here.  

Appreciate it, but then I wouldn’t want people hoping I don’t wake up :)

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

fathom is the man. The guy is the absolute king of one liners.

• Like 1

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic