Rodon

Flash

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

Any chance Rodon is back in White Sox uniform next year? Thoughts on what a contract might look like?

There is a chance. Hed probably get a QO and accept it. The Sox may offer him and Lynn 2 years and 25-30 million. Lynn has age and Rodon has injury history. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not if this continues. Nor should they pay the price. Long way to go to 180+ IP tho for Carlos. 

He won't get a big deal from anyone. He will basically need a QO prove it deal. He is still young enough to get a big payday if he is very good this year and next year. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

He won't get a big deal from anyone. He will basically need a QO prove it deal. He is still young enough to get a big payday if he is very good this year and next year. 

But if he could get 3/$42-45 vs. just the one year qualifying offer, Boras would definitely go for that.  Something similar to the Eovaldi deal with Boston.

If it’s a qualifying offer strategy, no way JR signs off on $37-39 million for those two (Lynn/Rodon) with Kopech coming on.

One guy, sure.

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Look at what Eovaldi got. I don't see why Rodon couldn't top that if he keeps pitching like a cy young candidate. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ron883 said:

Look at what Eovaldi got. I don't see why Rodon couldn't top that if he keeps pitching like a cy young candidate. 

^^^^^

I'm just glad that the Sox are getting 1 year of this Rodon. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

But if he could get 3/$42-45 vs. just the one year qualifying offer, Boras would definitely go for that.  Something similar to the Eovaldi deal with Boston.

If it’s a qualifying offer strategy, no way JR signs off on $37-39 million for those two (Lynn/Rodon) with Kopech coming on.

One guy, sure.

I think this kind of offer would be great. But as you pointed out, long way to go. I hope Carlos keeps kicking ass and then we worry about contract later. 

• Like 1

I think he could be signed for something like 4/45 (if he finishes the year strong) .

Would be a good deal for both, rodon has made his money in case he falls apart again next year and the team that signs him gets upside and in case he falls apart you can still manage the loss. 

He certainly does have an increased injury risk that would prevent a big contract but the upside is still not super easy to find (he was a no 3 pick for a reason) 

Edited by Dominikk85

He’s pitched 30 innings. He has had terrific 30 inning stretches before. Not as terrific as this stretch. I just wonder with his limited use in recent years how many innings he has in him this season, and whether or not he will hold up. I am guessing the Sox ride him as far as they can and see where everything ends up. If he wins the Cy Young, Boras will get him ridiculous money and he will be gone. So the better he goes, the less likely he come back.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He’s pitched 30 innings. He has had terrific 30 inning stretches before. Not as terrific as this stretch. I just wonder with his limited use in recent years how many innings he has in him this season, and whether or not he will hold up. I am guessing the Sox ride him as far as they can and see where everything ends up. If he wins the Cy Young, Boras will get him ridiculous money and he will be gone. So the better he goes, the less likely he come back.

never would I think we would be talking about Carlos Rodon winning a CY before Sale, baseball is crazy

Let him finish the year.  If he stays healthy and continues to play near this level, then you qualify him.  He'd be foolish not to accept.

Odds are he'll stay in shape again and be motivated to earn his big deal.  

For the record, I wouldn't want to be the team that signs him long term.  

Just not sure he'd stay committed physically.  

9 hours ago, ron883 said:

Eovaldi received 4 years at 68 million.  You are probably right in thinking that is roughly the ballpark of what the ask is for Rodon.  If he keeps it up...65-80 for 4 years is an educated guess.  Whatever happens, this has been a steal at 3 million.

9 hours ago, ron883 said:

We are in a new year. Owners aren't paying big dollar for an injury prone pitcher who would have one very good year in a contract year. He may get a 2 and 36 or a 3 and 45, but in this climate that would be about it. We have 3 years before our young guys get crazy expensive so there is no reason we can't re-sign Rodon and Lynn to 3 year or less deals. 

11 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

There is a chance. Hed probably get a QO and accept it. The Sox may offer him and Lynn 2 years and 25-30 million. Lynn has age and Rodon has injury history. 

I'd try to lock them both up for 2 yrs. w/3rd year option/buyout. Roughly 2yrs. at $15 each plus 3rd yr. option at $15 vs. $3M buyout. I'd probably focus on Lynn first as I believe he might be a bit easier to sign. With both under wraps, we have flexibility in case of Gio or Cease regression and/or potential trade scenarios.

• Like 1

Not to throw water on the fire, but isn't it likely the Sox have an innings limit on him this year if he keeps keepin' on?  If they're doing it for Kopech, why not Rodon?   Has anyone asked about it with TLR or Katz?  I may have missed it but haven't heard of their Rodon plans.

Its makes sense to me that the Sox trade for another starter as insurance for the entire rotation & Kopech.  If there're no issues, a 6 man rotation would be a good idea anyway.  So far, there's no starter in the org that can be trusted but that could change by the deadline.

Edited by Rounding_Third

Just now, Rounding_Third said:

Not to throw water on the fire, but isn't it likely the Sox have an innings limit on him this year if he keeps keepin' on?  If they're doing it for Kopech, why not Rodon?   Has anyone asked about it with TLR or Katz?  I may have missed it but haven't heard of their Rodon plans.

Its makes sense to me that the Sox trade for another starter as insurance for the entire rotation & Kopech.  If there're no issues, a 6 man rotation would be a good idea anyway. 

I believe the Sox have limited Carlos a little to hold down his innings, hence the 2 long layoffs between starts.  That said, they have 4 more years of control with Kopech.  0 with Carlos.  I believe they will act accordingly.

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I believe the Sox have limited Carlos a little to hold down his innings, hence the 2 long layoffs between starts.  That said, they have 4 more years of control with Kopech.  0 with Carlos.  I believe they will act accordingly.

Not sure if I understand what you mean.  But don't I think control really plays a role in that decision.  They wouldn't risk his career because they're outside of that window.