Rodon

Flash

9 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I would be really nervous giving Rodon a contract like Eovaldi got...there’s just not a long track record of him pitching at the level he currently is. I’d definitely give him a qualifying offer though, so at least the Sox would get a pick if he leaves.

No way in hell for me. I would rather lose him than bet that kind of payroll on a guy who has been over 100 IP 3 times since 2015.

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No way in hell for me. I would rather lose him than bet that kind of payroll on a guy who has been over 100 IP 3 times since 2015.

Then betting $125 million on Giolito with lesser stuff (so far this year) and also a TJ in his distant past seems even more dubious.

With Rodon, his surgery, at least, was much more recently.

If Lynn’s doctoring the ball...per various anecdotal observations, that’s a huge red flag for giving him 2-3 additional seasons at his relatively advanced age.  And maybe speaking out against TLR isn’t helping his case.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Then betting $125 million on Giolito with lesser stuff (so far this year) and also a TJ in his distant past seems even more dubious.

If Lynn’s doctoring the ball...per various anecdotal observations, that’s a huge red flag for giving him 2-3 additional seasons at his relatively advanced age.  And maybe speaking out against TLR isn’t helping his case.

I'd rather bet $125 on Giolito than $80 million going forward on Rodon.

• Like 1

Still a lot of season left so this may work itself out over the course of the next several months but, Sox will have to decide between Rodon and Lynn this offseason.

Barring an injury or a completely unforseen trade, you can pretty much lock these 4 guys into the 2022 rotation:

Giolito 

Kopech

Cease

Keuchel

That leaves one spot for Rodon and Lynn, who have been by far our #1 and #2 starters this season. 

On 5/23/2021 at 9:27 AM, caulfield12 said:

He isn't doctoring the ball LOL come on.   He is doing what all of the league is doing because MLB is letting them 

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

Still a lot of season left so this may work itself out over the course of the next several months but, Sox will have to decide between Rodon and Lynn this offseason.

Barring an injury or a completely unforseen trade, you can pretty much lock these 4 guys into the 2022 rotation:

Giolito 

Kopech

Cease

Keuchel

That leaves one spot for Rodon and Lynn, who have been by far our #1 and #2 starters this season. 

I don't know we have to decide. Like you said, lots of baseball yet to be played but if they keep up the good work, I'd definitely try to extend them both, beginning with Lynn. If Rodon stays healthy the rest of the way and continues to perform at current level, he will be among the most highly sought after FAs after '21. Unlikely JR will cough up what it will take but you have to try...if not, certainly give him a QO. No need to worry about Gio anytime soon (controled through '23). Its also possible Crochet figures into the mix for '21 and beyond.

• Like 1

Carlos Rodón, LHP, White Sox
Key stat: 35.2% swing-and-miss rate

It took years of ups and downs, injuries and a brief foray into free agency last offseason, but Rodón is finally delivering on the promise that made him the No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 Draft. And this version of Rodón? Worth the wait. Among pitchers with 40-plus innings, the lefty ranks among MLB’s top five in ERA (1.27), Statcast’s expected ERA (2.12), strikeout rate (37.3%) and opponent batting average (.148).

Simply put, Rodón is dominating, and it’s not just the no-hitter, either. After a hiccup on May 15 against the Royals, Rodón was right back at it in his last start, blitzing through the Yankees’ lineup in the Bronx for 13 strikeouts and no walks in six scoreless innings. Many pitchers have one bat-missing pitch, but the new-and-improved Rodón has three yielding a whiff rate over 30%: a four-seamer with career-best velocity (95.1 mph), a slider that’s held opponents to 1-for-46 and a changeup to keep righties honest. With those weapons, this doesn’t look like a fluky hot streak. It looks like the start of a thrilling second act.
-- Andrew Simon

https://www.mlb.com/news/the-2021-breakout-players-to-believe-in?partnerId=zh-20210526-156906-MLB&qid=1026&bt_ee=HLweXSSBO9LKNtiiKwUJK6Xnz%2BPTSW7sU%2B2Sf1XJ4%2FGfWFUvnagST216ars1EMrY&bt_ts=1622029293202

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 2:04 PM, Jack Parkman said:

IIRC Eovaldi was 4/80. 

It was 4/68. If the Sox could sign Rodon to something similar, in the event he finishes the year healthy, they’d be foolish not to. Guys like Eovaldi have nowhere near Rodon’s upside. Even if it’s risky it’s highly unlikely a player that can do what Rodon can do is signing for that amount.

Edited by Vulture
  • Like 1