zack collins

zisk

44 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yep...I'm not at all bothered when he is catching instead of Grandal.

Another season in which Grandal is outplayed by his backup catcher. Seems to be a theme over the course of the guy’s career. Collins has really impressed, especially defensively, because I wasn’t expecting much from him there.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, runtheballdown said:

Collins is a legit mlb catcher. Great eye and can obviously call a game. His power to center and left center is excellent. The more he plays the better he’ll get. 

Super happy it seems to have panned out for Collins, solid pro

Wild Grandal is the biggest FA in franchise history

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Super happy it seems to have panned out for Collins, solid pro

The concern about Collins was the catching ability and he has been fine there. We thought he would have a nice bat, so if he does find the stroke too we are in business. We need the power. 

Only problem is grandal has apparently had the influence on him of taking a knee while receiving pitches. All that does is decrease mobility reducing ability to block pitches and increasing spring time. Pure laziness with literally no advantage. I don’t remember him doing that at the beginning of the season

2 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Only problem is grandal has apparently had the influence on him of taking a knee while receiving pitches. All that does is decrease mobility reducing ability to block pitches and increasing spring time. Pure laziness with literally no advantage. I don’t remember him doing that at the beginning of the season

Narron was hired to specifically work with the catchers.  I assume he is the influence behind the knee thing with both guys.

49 minutes ago, Vulture said:

I've seen more catchers doing that on other teams too.  Don't think that originated with Grandal.

13 minutes ago, Vulture said:

So as the Vulture you basically eat the body of the dead so you are circling the barely alive carcass of the "lazy" Grandal is that it ? Oh I'm sorry "pure laziness". Since you don't remember him doing that at the beginning of the season, I'll just guess you don't remember he's had knee pain  since the beginning of spring training. It may not be reported after every game "oh hey Sox fans, catcher is a very difficult position to play . In fact ,so difficult no one really wants to be a catcher and that's why most catchers are such lousy hitters and the one's who aren't often aren't kept at catcher by their teams because they don't want their best players playing through pain all the time." I'm just taking a wild guess here that "taking a knee" might have a little something to do with relieving pain in a sore knee or taking pressure off a knee that is balky. But that's just me .

Can I ask what is "spring time" besides the time of year when flowers bloom ? Is this a stat I can look up so I can see if his spring time truly is increasing ?

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So as the Vulture you basically eat the body of the dead so you are circling the barely alive carcass of the "lazy" Grandal is that it ? Oh I'm sorry "pure laziness". Since you don't remember him doing that at the beginning of the season, I'll just guess you don't remember he's had knee pain  since the beginning of spring training. It may not be reported after every game "oh hey Sox fans, catcher is a very difficult position to play . In fact ,so difficult no one really wants to be a catcher and that's why most catchers are such lousy hitters and the one's who aren't often aren't kept at catcher by their teams because they don't want their best players playing through pain all the time." I'm just taking a wild guess here that "taking a knee" might have a little something to do with relieving pain in a sore knee or taking pressure off a knee that is balky. But that's just me .

Can I ask what is "spring time" besides the time of year when flowers bloom ? Is this a stat I can look up so I can see if his spring time truly is increasing ?

I meant I don’t remember Collins doing that before. Grandal has always taken a knee. Nice rant though

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Another season in which Grandal is outplayed by his backup catcher. Seems to be a theme over the course of the guy’s career. Collins has really impressed, especially defensively, because I wasn’t expecting much from him there.

What backup catcher “outplayed” him prior to last year?

1 hour ago, Vulture said:

Lol how do you know any of this?

Just now, Vulture said:

There is the case of the dodgers playing Barnes over grandal in ‘17-18 postseasons

I’m aware of that, but Yas had the yips or something and Barnes wasn’t the better player over the course of the regular season.  People can hate on Grandal all they want, but dude has been one of the best catchers in baseball over the past decade due to his hitting and framing alone.  Yes, this season has been ugly so far, but let’s not discredit his track record because he can be a frustrating player to watch or cause he took the catcher job from the most overrated player in Soxtalk history.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

He wasn’t even outplayed last year really. 

According to war he was

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m aware of that, but Yas had the yips or something and Barnes wasn’t the better player over the course of the regular season.  People can hate on Grandal all they want, but dude has been one of the best catchers in baseball over the past decade due to his hitting and framing alone.  Yes, this season has been ugly so far, but let’s not discredit his track record because he can be a frustrating player to watch or cause he took the catcher job from the most overrated player in Soxtalk history.

He got benched two postseasons in a row because he couldn’t be trusted to get the job done behind the plate