5/8/21 Chicago White Sox @ Kansas City 6:10 PM CDT

Mendick has played 9 games in the outfield, ever, in his career, since college(Left Field, at that).

Hall of Famer Baseball Person figures we'll be fine with a defensive OF of Vaughn-Garcia-Mendick....

Woof.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Projected starters are RHP Lance Lynn (2-1 1.89 ERA) taking on LHP Daniel Lynch (0-0 5.89 ERA).

Mendick gets his first start in right field (or any outfield position) in his ML career, after getting his first pitching appearance in Boston.

Let's hope the all right handed lineup does the damage tonight against a lefty which we seem to do well against. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Mendick has played 9 games in the outfield, ever, in his career, since college(Left Field, at that).

Hall of Famer Baseball Person figures we'll be fine with a defensive OF of Vaughn-Garcia-Mendick....

Woof.

Perhaps, but Mendick bat + questionable glove > Hamilton or Garcia playing everyday, with Tony many times both playing the final three innings in addition to one or both starting.

The more options the Sox have to muddle through without daily starts for Garcia/Hamilton until Engel and Robert return the better.

Mendick should have been up this entire time to backup the IF, limiting Garcia to the OF. Lamb needs to go yesterday, Hamilton can follow.

11 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Woof.

SS is 10 times harder to play than RF. An above average defensive SS should be just fine in RF. I mean, Vaughn is a 1B and is handling LF just fine. Eaton is going to do nothing but K against this lefty.

Now, batting Leury 8th is stupid. I get that he has to play CF for a while but he should never bat anywhere other than 9th. Vaughn should also be ahead of Grandal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Woof.

At this point  just about any outfield combination is on the front office, not TLR.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

At this point  just about any outfield combination is on the front office, not TLR.

Yeah, good point really. Can only make so many different average lineups, given the resources assigned to the team.

23 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Lets have a nice lead after 6 and then get Hamilton, the defensive replacement, in.

The best way to utilize him 

I would much rather have George Hamilton on the roster. Oh wait, he might be dead. Still.......

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

Woof.

You should shade all your anger towards Hahn, not LaRussa.

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

Woof.

I'm still trying to figure out why Goodwin isn't up yet over Hamilton. But lets forget about Eaton being banged up or your limited choices on the roster to play RF are Hamilton or Leury when one of them has to play CF ,and that there is a LHP on the mound for KC . I mean what exactly are you expecting from LaRussa here ? You can't make the lineup without Leury in the lineup against LHP so he has to play CF unless u want the lefty Hamilton to start in CF and  Leury in RF or bring up Goodwin and he's also LH .

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

This is such a bad take and I'm surprised how many people are spouting this off.

No Eloy, Robert, Engel. There's not a front office in the league that can prepare to withstand this many injuries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Sorry I just got out of the time machine from January 2020 and streets are empty and the few out are wearing masks, Tony La Russa is the manager and the Sox outfield is Vaughan, Leury and Mendick.  So...post apocalypse?     

Only in White Sox Land can you see an outfield like this.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

This is such a bad take and I'm surprised how many people are spouting this off.

No Eloy, Robert, Engel. There's not a front office in the league that can prepare to withstand this many injuries.

This. It’s so crazy to read all the complaints. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

Yeah, good point really. Can only make so many different average lineups, given the resources assigned to the team.

If Sheets was out there, I guess it would be more exciting but Mendick more often that not makes something positive happen.

Almost a poor man’s Eduardo Escobar.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

This. It’s so crazy to read all the complaints. 

Part of its frustration over Tauchman, and his relatively low cost...but we actually need a CFer.

That said, we might also need a RF, haha.  Which goes back to the original frustration over the seemingly premature Eaton move.

Which goes back to the failure to develop any of our minor league outfielders.

I mean, considering Mercedes or Burger out there is pretty insane.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Sorry I just got out of the time machine from January 2020 and streets are empty and the few out are wearing masks, Tony La Russa is the manager and the Sox outfield is Vaughan, Leury and Mendick.  So...post apocalypse?     

It is crazy to think about. It would be easier to pick two consecutive sets of winning powerball numbers than to predict what you stated in your post 15 months ago.