Sox sweep KC; winners thread

greg775

This is why I don't freak out about the Sox this year. Even with injuries, the team is built to win. It will take monumental bad luck the rest of the way to not be in the race all season. Great win again today.

Jumped on KC again and again made the lead hold up. Glad to see Mercedes and Abreu get 2 hits apiece; good pitching. Moncada quietly has become a vaccuum at 3B. He can field.

Keep winning, Sox. I think the team despite the injuries is in good shape for the long haul barring more injuries.

GO SOX! Mop up those Royals as much as humanly possible please.

• Like 2

Listened on the radio over a long car ride. I remember so many stats of Sox horrible records through the years in games without a home run. Kinda nuts having a successful offense with zero power currently.

The saving grace of this season will be that the AL Central is bad and the AL in general is down. The Sox should be able to dominate this division (no mush) and beat up on a lot of bad AL teams. They're damn good, but they'll need Luis and Eloy come October (if they get there*)

*have to add that given the historic track record of rooting for this team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Everybodys deathly silent when things are going well, lol.  Keep it up and Sox are gonna put Soxtalk out of business!

It’s always been that way. But I really don’t think it’s that weird. Think of the Sox like any other product. Usually on a brand social media page, the complaints outweigh the compliments 10/1. When you have a great restaurant experience, most people don’t rush to Yelp to glow about the service. But they are much more likely to post about a terrible wait staff, cold food, etc. Just sort of the nature of the beast. Plus...debate drives conversation. Not much to debate in a nice weekend sweep. 

Anyway...long season and this team still has some obvious concerns...but they just need to keep stashing away the victories. At some point, Abreu and Grandal will heat up, hopefully the rest the lineup keeps hitting....and hopefully Gio remembers he’s an Ace. 

• Love 1

43 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Everybodys deathly silent when things are going well, lol.  Keep it up and Sox are gonna put Soxtalk out of business!

I'm still relatively new here, but when did the tradition of creating a second thread after the game thread begin after a White Sox win?

I'm not sure what happened on WSI, but I believe there was just one thread for pre game, in game and post game, also archived like it is here.

Not sure if a blowout win or loss warrants a lot of discussion, many people turn off an 8-0 game, whether their team is winning or losing.

A close game leads to more discussion. Controversial decisions or statements like the "Cinco de Mistakes Game" will blow up the discussion.

1 hour ago, TheTruth05 said:

Remember when some people were worried about the Royals being threats to the central title ? Lol

The Royals were never a threat. A bad team or two gets off to a hot start every year. Twins are still the biggest threat and Cleveland will be a pain the whole year. 

17 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'm still relatively new here, but when did the tradition of creating a second thread after the game thread begin after a White Sox win?

I'm not sure what happened on WSI, but I believe there was just one thread for pre game, in game and post game, also archived like it is here.

Not sure if a blowout win or loss warrants a lot of discussion, many people turn off an 8-0 game, whether their team is winning or losing.

A close game leads to more discussion. Controversial decisions or statements like the "Cinco de Mistakes Game" will blow up the discussion.

We have been doing winners threads since at least 05

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Post game win threads have been a thing as long as Soxtalk has been a thing. Usually not a post game thread for lost games unless it's particularly egregious. 

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

like shit but he threw enough strikes and enough hard hit balls found mitts.  He needs to find his stuff.

Thanks chitown... amazing that Lucas is currently the weak link of the Starting Staff.  Sounds like the defense was strong as well as the offense.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

like shit but he threw enough strikes and enough hard hit balls found mitts.  He needs to find his stuff.

Seemed like he's struggled with it all year from spring on. Sort of left with the question of which Giolito is more real, his first Sox career or the second. We have had these waits before which didn't pan out so good. His velocity is down looks like compared to when he was going better.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

1 hour ago, gusguyman said:

We may have lost Luis but at least we still have one future gold glover in the OF 😏

Vaughn as Alex Gordon?  Engel?  Hamilton?

Leury looks so darn tiny out there, but he makes MOST of the plays he should.   For some reason, like him better in center than in LF.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Seemed like he's struggled with it all year from spring on. Sort of left with the question of which Giolito is more real, his first Sox career or the second. We have had these waits before which didn't pan out so good

This may not be scientific but Gio is a southern Cali guy. He may just be having a rougher time with the cold.

Just checked his splits and he had a rough start in early 2019 before he went on to be amazing the rest of the season. Obviously last year we started in the Summer so can't really compare. I'd give it another month or so before I start to worry.

gio_2019.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Post game win threads have been a thing as long as Soxtalk has been a thing. Usually not a post game thread for lost games unless it's particularly egregious. 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

We have been doing winners threads since at least 05

Nice, thanks. It's a good tradition. 

Outside of the terrible May 5th game, this has been a very good week (Tuesday - Sunday) all things considered.

• Positive news for Eloy and Luis injuries.
  • The Sox swept the formerly first place Royals for the second straight series in Kansas City (they swept a four game series last September).
  • Mendick played an adequate RF, and Vaughn has looked very good in LF, giving the team more options this year and beyond. Hopefully Tony will use him more now, he is a better hitter than Leury and entering his peak age.
  • Tony had positive news regarding Engel, and his return will really help the lineup and outfield.