May 11th Games

BamaDoc

Low A is going to be very interesting this year, because their are a lot of fairly aggressive placements all around that league.

• Jose Rodriguez (19 yo, Fangraphs #8 Prospect) is slashing .406/.424/.594 through 33 plate appearances in his first taste of full-season ball,  which is by far the hottest start on the team. 
  • Benny Bailey (19 yo, Fangraphs #9 Prospect) is just 2/21 with a homer, but that is somewhat expected at this point. As a guy who passionately follows MiLB, he's one of the box scores I check each day. He reworked his swing since his last game action, so I imagine it'll take time to get going.
  • James Beard (20 yo, Fangraphs #22 Prospect) is an interesting watch as well. He's very raw as a hitter, but his .188/.350/,375 slash in 20 PAs  is not a terrible start minus the 9 strikeouts. He has 4 walks already compared to 8 in 127 ABs last year. It's going to take a while to see how much he improved during the 2020 season.
  • DJ Gladney (19 yo, Fangraphs #32) is slashing .238/.385/.381 so far this year with a few extra base hits and 4 walks so far. 
  • Jared Kelley (19 yo, Fangraphs #5) has had a rough start to the year as he has an 8.10 ERA and 3.00 WHIP in his two starts that covered 3.1 innings. He wouldve have some time at rookie ball last year to work on things if not for COVID, so his start is to be taken lightly.
  • Matthew Thompson (20 yo, Fangraphs #10) and Andrew Dalquist (20 yo, Fangraphs #11) have all held their own this year in their appearances.
  • Bailey Horn (23 yo, Fangraphs #30), who scouts pegged as a reliever out of college, was dominant in his one start throwing 4 hitless innings with 1 walk and 3 ks. If Horn can develop into a starter that would be a HUGE scouting success as he only started 9 games during his two years at Auburn. He logged only 55 innings in 22 appearances with a 4.75 ERA and 1.38 WHIP during college, so he was more of a projectability pick than anything. The Cubs drafted a similar player (Ryan Jensen) in the first round in 2019 with worse professional results at this point.

The Sox have a very top heavy farm with most of the top players set to graduate this year. Kannapolis is loaded with young talent and will be an interesting follow all year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FriendlyNorthsider said:

Low A is going to be very interesting this year, because their are a lot of fairly aggressive placements all around that league.

• Jose Rodriguez (19 yo, Fangraphs #8 Prospect) is slashing .406/.424/.594 through 33 plate appearances in his first taste of full-season ball,  which is by far the hottest start on the team. 
  • Benny Bailey (19 yo, Fangraphs #9 Prospect) is just 2/21 with a homer, but that is somewhat expected at this point. As a guy who passionately follows MiLB, he's one of the box scores I check each day. He reworked his swing since his last game action, so I imagine it'll take time to get going.
  • James Beard (20 yo, Fangraphs #22 Prospect) is an interesting watch as well. He's very raw as a hitter, but his .188/.350/,375 slash in 20 PAs  is not a terrible start minus the 9 strikeouts. He has 4 walks already compared to 8 in 127 ABs last year. It's going to take a while to see how much he improved during the 2020 season.
  • DJ Gladney (19 yo, Fangraphs #32) is slashing .238/.385/.381 so far this year with a few extra base hits and 4 walks so far. 
  • Jared Kelley (19 yo, Fangraphs #5) has had a rough start to the year as he has an 8.10 ERA and 3.00 WHIP in his two starts that covered 3.1 innings. He wouldve have some time at rookie ball last year to work on things if not for COVID, so his start is to be taken lightly.
  • Matthew Thompson (20 yo, Fangraphs #10) and Andrew Dalquist (20 yo, Fangraphs #11) have all held their own this year in their appearances.
  • Bailey Horn (23 yo, Fangraphs #30), who scouts pegged as a reliever out of college, was dominant in his one start throwing 4 hitless innings with 1 walk and 3 ks. If Horn can develop into a starter that would be a HUGE scouting success as he only started 9 games during his two years at Auburn. He logged only 55 innings in 22 appearances with a 4.75 ERA and 1.38 WHIP during college, so he was more of a projectability pick than anything. The Cubs drafted a similar player (Ryan Jensen) in the first round in 2019 with worse professional results at this point.

The Sox have a very top heavy farm with most of the top players set to graduate this year. Kannapolis is loaded with young talent and will be an interesting follow all year. 

Benny Bailey?  Any relation to Beetle?

7 hours ago, FriendlyNorthsider said:

This year is going to be so big for the farm system to see if we can get some break out candidates to start to fill in for the graduated prospects.  We have some potential guys who could blow up in the system, they just need to play some real games to see if it happens.  This a great list, and still has some lower level candidates who aren't quite ready yet like Vera, Tatis, and a few others.

• Like 1

It's so weird following this right now. I'm mostly just in a "take what's good and be happy, but don't worry about slow starts". I mean when was the last time dalquist/kelly/thompson played in front of a crowd? Bailey jumps from DSL to freakin Kanny.

OTOH, when I see Jose Rodriguez just doing Jose Rodriguez things, producing like he always has, I find that meaningful ha. I do think the Birmingham/AAA guys that had schaumburg or more mlb camp run, I'm happy to see them all with pretty good starts. 

Stiever though, man not sure he is gonna be anything unless he finds his stuff again.