https://www.mlb.com/video/greg-s-list-top-rookies?t=mlb-network

This is a video of Greg Amsinger of MLB Network Top 10 Rookies . 3 Sox players are on the list, Mercedes, Kopech and Madrigal and we also have Vaughn and Crochet as rookies doing well. It's going to be quite interesting for rookie of the year. It will be a hard choice just to pick the Sox ROY when all is said and done this year. Have at it. Pick the ROY and if you don't think a Sox player will win it, pick the Most Valuable Rookie you expect from the Sox when the season ends. If anyone knows how to embed the video here it would be appreciated

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know, I am going to say that Vaughn tears it up in the 2nd half of the season and is the Sox Most Valuable Rookie but with so many good Rookies on the Sox, votes will be split and noone from the Sox will win ROY.  

25 minutes ago, wegner said:

You know, I am going to say that Vaughn tears it up in the 2nd half of the season and is the Sox Most Valuable Rookie but with so many good Rookies on the Sox, votes will be split and noone from the Sox will win ROY.  

I'll go with Mercedes since he's already got a big head start but  quite a long stretch to go also. Hard for a reliever to win ROY but if Kopech's innings can be managed well enough he has a chance to be the Most Valuable Rookie among the Sox rooks if he get's moved into the rotation late in the season.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'll go with Mercedes since he's already got a big head start but  quite a long stretch to go also. Hard for a reliever to win ROY but if Kopech's innings can be managed well enough he has a chance to be the Most Valuable Rookie among the Sox rooks if he get's moved into the rotation late in the season.

I did consider Kopech and he could be especially if he is in the rotation later in the year like you said.  However, I just get a feeling that Vaughn is just going to get better and better and we will marvel at how quickly he becomes an excellent major league hitter....and the home run power will come in the 2nd half along with a shit load of doubles.

Madrigal is going to get some votes if he keeps his average comfortably over .300. If Arozarena can channel whatever he showed last October he can get in the lead quickly.

That said, I am believer in Vaughn. I don't think the Sox (TLR) have handled him correctly and he's played through that as well as the adversity of playing LF and he's still been a firmly positive contributor at the plate. Assuming he doesn't have issues playing everyday, I still think he's got a strong shot to end the year with 20 bombs and .275/.360 AVG/OBP.

• Like 1

If Kopech eventually joins the rotation and can maintain any semblance of his current form then no idea how it’s not him.  He’s pitching like a legit ace right now, just in small bursts.  That could change in the second half of the season and he will deserve to be rewarded for it.

• Like 1

The Rookies kept doing their thing today. Yermin 2/3, BB, RS, Vaughn 0/1, 2 BB, Madrigal 1/4, RBI and Garrett Crochet with his 1st win as an MLB pitcher by pitching .2 innings to get the Sox out of a jam on a pop fly and a K in the top of the 6th when it was still a 3-3 game !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The Rookies kept doing their thing today. Yermin 2/3, BB, RS, Vaughn 0/1, 2 BB, Madrigal 1/4, RBI and Garrett Crochet with his 1st win as an MLB pitcher by pitching .2 innings to get the Sox out of a jam on a pop fly and a K in the top of the 6th when it was still a 3-3 game !

yermin's 2 strike gimmick where he holds his powerful bat in the zone for a good half second seemingly seems to actually work.  I like it.  He is showing some adjustments to the adjustments on him and a part of it is selling out early in the count while using all fields late in it.

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

yermin's 2 strike gimmick where he holds his powerful bat in the zone for a good half second seemingly seems to actually work.  I like it.  He is showing some adjustments to the adjustments on him and a part of it is selling out early in the count while using all fields late in it.

He also eliminates the leg kick and doesn't really stride either. He just transfers weight back foot to front foot.

4 hours ago, reiks12 said:

If vaughn continues to play the way he is he will be our most valuable rookie. Learning a new position, doing it well, and providing much needed offense to fill the eloy void would even give him team mvp votes imo (team, not mlb).

He's got a way to go to catch up to other rookies as best rookie on the Sox and about 10 guys ahead of him for Team MVP. If Vaughn can have a Mercedes like month he'll catch up fast  and he'll definitely have to start hitting HR's.

44 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Tony and Yermin both touched on the work Yermin put in during the week, when they caught his swing getting longer the previous week, and then also working on the adjustments of when they attack him outside to stay within himself.

Ethan Katz gets most of the mentions here due to the great start by the staff, but the Sox also added extra coaches to the team this year, with Jerry Narron, and I believe a new position of "Assistant Hitting Coordinator" (Ryan Johansen). Also added the position for Dave Duncan's son for analytics. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Tony and Yermin both touched on the work Yermin put in during the week, when they caught his swing getting longer the previous week, and then also working on the adjustments of when they attack him outside to stay within himself.

Ethan Katz gets most of the mentions here due to the great start by the staff, but the Sox also added extra coaches to the team this year, with Jerry Narron, and I believe a new position of "Assistant Hitting Coordinator" (Ryan Johansen). Also added the position for Dave Duncan's son for analytics. 

The org so far gets a strong pat on the ass. Success has many fathers as they say and these guys have earned it 20% of the way around -- keep it going.

All accolades should go to the actual talent doing it, but I have been so impressed with how well prepared these players have been considering the circumstances. Getz really does deserve credit for how well Schaumburg appears to have maintained progression on these players while also getting them ready to play in Major League games - the #1 goal of Schaumburg. 

AAA is back now and should make things easier, but the returns on the Schaumburg experiment were excellent and a big part of the sox success. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Don't forget to add Collins into the discussion.  There were people who thought he couldn't even play at the MLB level six months ago.  He has shown himself to be a competent defensive catcher with some valuable attributes as a hitter

I don't think he still counts as a rookie  does he ? I'm pretty sure he has lost his rookie eligibility.

17 hours ago, raBBit said:

Madrigal is going to get some votes if he keeps his average comfortably over .300. If Arozarena can channel whatever he showed last October he can get in the lead quickly.

That said, I am believer in Vaughn. I don't think the Sox (TLR) have handled him correctly and he's played through that as well as the adversity of playing LF and he's still been a firmly positive contributor at the plate. Assuming he doesn't have issues playing everyday, I still think he's got a strong shot to end the year with 20 bombs and .275/.360 AVG/OBP.

20 seems high for Vaughn. Would be great if both Yermin and AV could reach 20 but with the ball not carrying, the warmer weather may not yield the results in power we are hoping for.

I'm going to set the over/under on HR's for Vaughn at 13 and for Yermin 19 . The season is already 1/5 over.

18 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

https://www.mlb.com/video/greg-s-list-top-rookies?t=mlb-network

This is a video of Greg Amsinger of MLB Network Top 10 Rookies . 3 Sox players are on the list, Mercedes, Kopech and Madrigal and we also have Vaughn and Crochet as rookies doing well. It's going to be quite interesting for rookie of the year. It will be a hard choice just to pick the Sox ROY when all is said and done this year. Have at it. Pick the ROY and if you don't think a Sox player will win it, pick the Most Valuable Rookie you expect from the Sox when the season ends. If anyone knows how to embed the video here it would be appreciated

I've been a Sox fan for a long time and I find this so refreshing and enjoyable that we have to debate and struggle over which Sox player will win ROY. In my time I've never witnessed this much young talent. It's discussions like this that make appreciate the job Rick Hahn has done in this rebuild. How lucky are we as Sox fans for the next several years. 

4 hours ago, bmags said:

All accolades should go to the actual talent doing it, but I have been so impressed with how well prepared these players have been considering the circumstances. Getz really does deserve credit for how well Schaumburg appears to have maintained progression on these players while also getting them ready to play in Major League games - the #1 goal of Schaumburg. 

AAA is back now and should make things easier, but the returns on the Schaumburg experiment were excellent and a big part of the sox success. 

I'm not sure how to say this or what the reason is or whatever, but . . . doesn't it seem the White Sox have gotten more MLB ready talent out of a short covid season and a shorter pre-minor league season at Schaumburg than they have out of the last two or three complete years of minor league ball??

So many people worried about Crochet's and Vaugh's lack of any minor experience, but that hasn't proven to be a problem at all. Does this count for having Yermin at Schaumburg also. 

Maybe having good talent so close to the Sox main coaches and having they drill over and over and everything else that comes with being in Schaumberg,  is more beneficial than sending the talented players out for a full season of minor league. 

If Yoelqui is really as good and major league ready as Marco Paddy says he is, shouldn't Sox just have him at Schaumberg and do the Crochet/ Vaughn thing with him? Do it with Kelly too, or whomever?  

4 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I'm not sure how to say this or what the reason is or whatever, but . . . doesn't it seem the White Sox have gotten more MLB ready talent out of a short covid season and a shorter pre-minor league season at Schaumburg than they have out of the last two or three complete years of minor league ball??

So many people worried about Crochet's and Vaugh's lack of any minor experience, but that hasn't proven to be a problem at all. Does this count for having Yermin at Schaumburg also. 

Maybe having good talent so close to the Sox main coaches and having they drill over and over and everything else that comes with being in Schaumberg,  is more beneficial than sending the talented players out for a full season of minor league. 

If Yoelqui is really as good and major league ready as Marco Paddy says he is, shouldn't Sox just have him at Schaumberg and do the Crochet/ Vaughn thing with him? Do it with Kelly too, or whomever?  

It has absolutely been the most interesting question to me as well. I love minor league ball, love minor league stadiums. I really wonder after last year if it is actually the best way to prepare baseball players to play at the highest level.

5 hours ago, bmags said:

The scouting team as well. Vaughn and Madrigal both look like 10 year regulars that will give an average or better performance.  That's not easy to find, at any spot in the draft.

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

It doesn't matter what Marco Paddy said, Yoelqui was rated by MLB as the #1 international prospect in his class and a five tool future potential player. Whether he makes it or not in the majors is up to him and how our minor league coaches develop him.