How are the White Sox leading the AL in runs per game?

VAfan

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Thank you Quin, great post and very thorough. That kind of post probably takes something like an hour to do when combining the research and the writing. That's dedication.

Now the big question is how much can be attributed to TLR, the coaching staff or just the personnel on the roster (GM)?

Beyond that, how much is it free swinging Robert, Jimenez and Engel being sidelined so far?

Baserunning, I can buy there’s been a concerted decision to attack more often and more aggressively.

What is the HR rate compared to this point in 2019...as comparing April/May 2021 weather to July/August 2020 isn’t going to make much sense because there’s no way to isolate for changes in the game ball.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Now the big question is how much can be attributed to TLR, the coaching staff or just the personnel on the roster (GM)?

Beyond that, how much is it free swinging Robert, Jimenez and Engel being sidelined so far?

Baserunning, I can buy there’s been a concerted decision to attack more often and more aggressively.

What is the HR rate compared to this point in 2019...as comparing April/May 2021 weather to July/August 2020 isn’t going to make much sense because there’s no way to isolate for changes in the game ball.

I don't think we have to give credit to anyone but the people on the field somewhere, be it the playing field or the dugout.

It's too hard to compare the team year to year given the late start last year and changes in personnel . IMO you compare yourself to the rest of the league without worrying too much about strength of schedule. Like Hawk used to say it's not who you play but when you play them , or even where you play them.

Soxtalk was at it's lowest point of the year around a week ago with the LaRussa debacle and now here we are at our highest point shortly after.

It's like they tell the players , Don't get too down when you are doing bad and don't get too up when you are doing well. Keep things in perspective , remember it's a marathon not a sprint. That's what professionals do . Stay positive. Support your team mates . Sit back, relax and strap it down.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think we have to give credit to anyone but the people on the field somewhere, be it the playing field or the dugout.

It's too hard to compare the team year to year given the late start last year and changes in personnel . IMO you compare yourself to the rest of the league without worrying too much about strength of schedule. Like Hawk used to say it's not who you play but when you play them , or even where you play them.

Soxtalk was at it's lowest point of the year around a week ago with the LaRussa debacle and now here we are at our highest point shortly after.

It's like they tell the players , Don't get too down when you are doing bad and don't get too up when you are doing well. Keep things in perspective , remember it's a marathon not a sprint. That's what professionals do . Stay positive. Support your team mates . Sit back, relax and strap it down.

For me, it was the possibility Robert might never be the same moreso than anything to do with LaRussa...

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

For me, it was the possibility Robert might never be the same moreso than anything to do with LaRussa...

Right thanks for reminding me of that, I think I blocked it from my memory ! Week and a half ago for the Robert injury and slightly longer than a week with LaRussa. Combine the 2 and  that had everyone really upset with the LaRussa "rule" debacle.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

13 hours ago, ptatc said:

Maybe the Sox are starting to look at the games inefficiency where the ball is less lively and no one else is playing this way yet. Of course much if it was forced by losing Eloy, then Robert. That's a lot of power gone from the lineup and replaced with minimal power.

Yeah, Robert and Eloy are big time power hitters and instead low power guys like madrigal, Leury and mendick are in the lineup (madrigal would be anyway but not the other two). 

That means currently the sox basically have to find other ways to score, when eloy and Robert are back and Vaughn finds his power stroke (maybe already has after yesterday) the offense will look different. 

18 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Robert at 100% should outhomer Jimenez, who’s more of an oppo and spray line drive hitter.

At any rate, you pencil both guys in for 30-40 per season.

https://whitesox.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9XHbY4krGPN3SeO

White Sox/MLB survey on fan reactions to team so far...

IMO Robert 100% will never out homer Eloy in a season if both healthy and they played the same amount of games. Steve Stone said last night they are doing this with out Eloy a Robert. Eloy being a potential 40HR guy and Robert a 30 HR guy. Btw, Eloy's strength and ability to hit opposite field HR's just because of strength or spray line drives makes him one the best in MLB. 

15 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Thank you Quin, great post and very thorough. That kind of post probably takes something like an hour to do when combining the research and the writing. That's dedication.

Ditto

In my humble opinion, the most likely explanation to account for an increase in runs while decreasing in Hr's is the subtraction of EE and Nomar from the everyday lineup. The effect of having two albatross's in a lineup is significant,  and can only be overlooked/salvaged when hitting bombs like last year. Madrigal, Vaughn and Big Yerm having high contact rates and solid BA's has allowed the lineup to turn over and score some runs. The beautiful part is it's just getting started, and missing the two biggest pieces to supplement for the days that small ball won't get it done. 

Edited by chetlemonhead

7 minutes ago, chetlemonhead said:

In my humble opinion, the most likely explanation to account for an increase in runs while decreasing in Hr's is the subtraction of EE and Nomar from the everyday lineup. The effect of having two albatross's in a lineup is significant,  and can only be overlooked/salvaged when hitting bombs like last year. Madrigal, Vaughn and Big Yerm having high contact rates and solid BA's has allowed the lineup to turn over and score some runs. The beautiful part is it's just getting started, and missing the two biggest pieces to supplement for the days that small ball won't get it done. 

Adam Eaton had more homers in April than Nomar Mazara had all of last year, so I don't really see how Mazara affects the HR total.

20 minutes ago, chetlemonhead said:

I'm saying the net overall effect of having a competent lineup that turns over and produces quality at-bats is the explanation of why more runs are being scored. Does it hold up? I don't know, but I do know we won a world series with something similar!

This lineup, even without Eloy and Robert, is better than the 2005 lineup without Frank.

Agreed, when looking at it individually and comparing player X to player y... There are some things that just can't easily be  quantified with stats.. It's the reason why the Yankee's or whomever don't  win the world series every year with hitters/pitchers with great stat lines. 

1 minute ago, Quin said:

I love these reddit charts. The Sox always show up in the good quadrants.

(This one is obviously not serious)

RDT_20210514_1546314207085281837254220jpg.jpg

OP apparently made this as a way to force the Tigers into a good quadrant following this chart.

RDT_20210514_1550198754947399458019275jpg.jpg