Marshall Needs To Be Sent Down

Soxsi75

In terms of relievers, I'm most optimistic about double-a where Kade McClure is. His height and how he looked in spring training made me optimistic he may already be ready to take some pro innings.

Hunter Schryver has also had a pretty good start in Charlotte, but haven't seen him pitch. I know there were quite a few fans on this board, though.

45 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The issue as I posted in the game thread is that Crochet and Kopech seem to be on some set calendar and as such are unavailable on certain days.  Ruiz was viewed as the mop up man.  This shortens the bullpen greatly.

I am not sure this is totally true. LaRussa has used Crochet particularly in a way that supports the idea there is no set schedule with him. Re: the way LaRussa has brought him in for the mickey mouse extra innings competitions.

Kopech may be off limits some days but I think that's from rest after his starts or rest ahead of his starts. Like Kopech is pitching game 2 on Friday. Not sure if that's been announced, but he wasn't available yesterday and won't be today as a result. 

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hunter Schryver has also had a pretty good start in Charlotte, but haven't seen him pitch. I know there were quite a few fans on this board, though.

Sox look at Schryver like a guy who can be a legitimate option one day. He's a good name to bring up. I also want to get an update of where Jace Fry is at.

Even if the bullpen stays relatively healthy, we'll likely need some extra arms in this upcoming stretch with limited off days and a couple double headers. Someone like Marshall getting a phantom DL stint makes sense.

11 minutes ago, T R U said:

Marshall is fine for now, we still need arms to throw meaningless innings in blowout games whether were up or down. Hopefully, he can get back on track but I don't see the urgency to remove him from the roster at this point.

Yesterday showed that Marshall cant be trusted with any sort of lead. The guy couldn't get a single out last night.  There is a reason why the dude went back and got his undergrad degree. His days in professional baseball are numbered and he knows it. 

Is Burdi healthy? If so, the Sox need to get him up here to replace Marshall. Burdi at least has some upside. Marshall is donzo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

Yesterday showed that Marshall cant be trusted with any sort of lead. The guy couldn't get a single out last night.  There is a reason why the dude went back and got his undergrad degree. His days in professional baseball are numbered and he knows it. 

Is Burdi healthy? If so, the Sox need to get him up here to replace Marshall. Burdi at least has some upside. Marshall is donzo. 

The Sox need a guy who can 1) throw strikes and 2) do so without leaving everything in the middle of the plate.  It seems Burdi is still not that guy.  

They also really need someone who can go 2+IP.  That's why I think McClure is probably the next guy if Lambert isn't ready.

Marshall as I said in another thread probably has a leash of about 1-2 bad outings over his next 3 or 4 because he is a straight DFA candidate.  And also because even while I believe he has been overachieving, he still should be capable of being an effective garbage time pitcher at the very worst and a quality MR at best.

Edited by YourWhatHurts

3 hours ago, Soxsi75 said:

Not to rain on the parade of the fact that we won last night or that we're playing well right now, but Marshall needs to be sent down. He doesn't have command of anything he's throwing right now and last night proved he can't even be trusted to pitch with an eight run lead.  If he goes down, maybe he can find himself again at Charlotte. At least the minor leagues have started back up again with real competition instead of just the "Schaumburg alternative site," which truly was nothing more than scrimmaging. But he can't be trusted with anything. If he stays up, the only games or situations he should be allowed to pitch should be games we don't have any chance of winning. 

Why was Marshall even inserted as first reliver up, when he is struggling constantly this year? Marshall doesn't have the pitch arsenal to come in such a intense stressful inning with zero outs and men on base. He can't throw strikes, weak FB and no command of his secondary pitches. TLR has done this several times this year. Put him on 10 day DL and let him work his mechanics out at Schaumburg. 

Edited by "The Kids Can Play"
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, T R U said:

Marshall is fine for now, we still need arms to throw meaningless innings in blowout games whether were up or down. Hopefully, he can get back on track but I don't see the urgency to remove him from the roster at this point.

It's not Urgent.  He just can't get anybody out.