5/13: Minnesota @ Chicago White Sox 1:10 PM CDT

20 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Vaughn used to pitch in HS. His arm is fine for RF.

Not only that they were considering him at 3B at both the alternate site and pre-draft. His arm is average to slightly above for RF.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beautox said:

Not only that they were considering him at 3B at both the alternate site and pre-draft. His arm is average to slightly above for RF.

I guess thats anothet plan. Vaughn in right until Abreu retires and, I guess Cespedes takes over. But that would be a long wait for Cespedes.  At the end of the day I see the Sox opting for superior defense from Cespedes, and finding a platoon situation for Eloy and Vaughn in left/DH

Edited by Chick Mercedes

24 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Was there a reason why Bummer wasn't available today? He didn't pitch yesterday.

Maybe they want him full rest in case of multiple opportunities tomorrow 

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

@greg775 A now?

It's going to fluxuate. I didn't say my grade would stand for the whole season. Sure, a .629 win percentage, the best in baseball right now, is an A. The 10-7 road record is nice, too. He got me on the grade. He's right. At this juncture they deserve an A. However I gave the grade prior to the Twins series. I'm not a Sox hater and do not want to portray myself as a hater of the team. I will accept the fact the team deserves an A and Tony now an A-.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Was there a reason why Bummer wasn't available today? He didn't pitch yesterday.

I just assumed this was Tony giving Ruiz an opportunity in a higher leverage situation since he has pitched so well this year. Unfortunately, he did not make the most of his opportunity.

Edited by skooch
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, skooch said:

I just assumed this was Tony giving Ruiz an opportunity in a higher leverage situation since he has pitched so well this year. Unfortunately, he did not make the most of his opportunity.

I thought he pitched well. He was hitting his spots, unfortunately the Twins got a couple great swings off of him. That hr by kepler was inside off the plate.

Hopefully he gets more chances

• Like 4

The close games are always the most fun, in terms of enjoying every pitch. I watched the first eight but left to listen on the radio in the bottom of the 8th to concentrate more (there was no audio). Really enjoyed many stepping up today.

Looked at the last few Charlotte games, and based on who has pitched and how the pitching is doing, wonder who they'll bring up tomorrow. Stiever and Reynaldo pitched well in their respective Tues/Wed starts, but too soon to pitch tomorrow. McRae brought up last DH didn't provide much (1/3 IP, 2 H / 2 BB). Will be interesting who they bring up, and if they will pitch them. No news from Fegan, who didn't write the recap today (may have been off), but posted this nice tweet after the game:

Once I learned about the tradition of game threads and win streaks, I am taking this responsibility very seriously. It will be my pleasure to once again kick things off tomorrow morning, once the lineup is released.

:gosox1:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

At the end of the day I see the Sox opting for superior defense from Cespedes, and finding a platoon situation for Eloy and Vaughn in left/DH

I personally want to see a lot of HR  and good hitting from both corner outfielders. You can always substitute for defense in late innings if you have the lead.

Modern pitching means almost every game is a challenge with bullpens having to cover four innings or more. Baseball really needs bigger rosters. 

Edited by pcq

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Modern pitching means almost every game is a challenge with bullpens having to cover four innings or more. Baseball really needs bigger rosters

I'm not sure why they haven't done this yet. Do owners just not want to pay an extra player? It seems obvious to add an extra roster spot. Maybe it'll save a guy like Chad Cordero from getting beaten into the ground and needing TJS. 

Edited by ron883

8 hours ago, hankchifan said:

White Sox #1 in ESPN MLB power ranking, and #1 in Chicago dethroning the Cubs. Happy days are here again on the South Side.

Welcome to Soxtalk!

5 hours ago, ron883 said:

I'm not sure why they haven't done this yet. Do owners just not want to pay an extra player? It seems obvious to add an extra roster spot. Maybe it'll save a guy like Chad Cordero from getting beaten into the ground and needing TJS. 

I would say this is first and foremost