Giolito's slow start

Jack Parkman

How long does it take Katz or Giolito himself to realize that Giolito's delivery is slightly out of whack? 

Same thing happened early in the last two seasons where he started the season with his delivery slightly off but fixed it later. 

I've seen a couple 96-97s this year from him so he still has it in him, so what the hell is going on other than this? All three of his pitches aren't as crisp as they were the majority of the last two seasons. 

It sucks that Gio's delivery is so fragile and it's hard for him to repeat it. 

That being said, I saw somewhere that he has a 2.86 ERA outside of the Boston start even with the issues. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Aside from Rodon, all the starters have been allowing too many baserunners, throwing too many pitches, struggling to get through 5 innings, yet managing to not give up a lot of runs. It's going to start taxing the bullpen if at least a couple guys don't start going deeper.

Be in the zone more. With this offense, don't be afraid of giving up the occasional HR. The offense has you covered.

I think that this exact post is precisely what the organization from reinsdorf, Hahn, Kenny on down to TLR and Katz needed in order to realize that Giolito was not performing up to his expected level and something may not be totally right.  I'm confident that each of them spit out their morning coffee and exclaimed "oh shit!" when they fired up soxtalk this AM to see what the experts were saying, gaining newfound insight on the performance of their ace as they realized something may be out of whack.  Thanks, parkman for enlightening them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why assume Katz, of all people,  doesn't know if something is wrong?  Knowing something isn't right, and being able to get changes made, are 2 completely different things.

I read in some article Katz had Cease do the weighted ball training when his delivery was out of sync to start the season, and afterward Cease has gone on a tear. Maybe Gio should do that, I know he's done it before. 

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I read in some article Katz had Cease do the weighted ball training when his delivery was out of sync to start the season, and afterward Cease has gone on a tear. Maybe Gio should do that, I know he's done it before. 

Again, why are you assuming to know more about this than the people getting paid to do this job?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Cease had a bad start to his season. He said his success has come from Lynn and Grandal working on his mental.

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Do you think it is fair to assume that we know very very little about what these guys work on together every day, and also fair to assume that they all see the same things that we see?  I don't think it's as easy to fix his release point as "pick up a weighted ball and start throwing it"

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Do you think it is fair to assume that we know very very little about what these guys work on together every day, and also fair to assume that they all see the same things that we see?  I don't think it's as easy to fix his release point as "pick up a weighted ball and start throwing it"

Giolito, who has been very transparent on how much work he has learned to do to keep himself in sync, should really just click his "fix" button to correct the motion to get a 6 foot 6 guy to throw baseballs 95 mph accurately. Why doesn't he realize that?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think it's mostly mental with Gio.  When he gets too amped or uptight his mechanics go to shit and he has a hard time finding his release points.  

I am sure I'll get flamed for this take because Gio is the sweetheart for a lot of fans but his body language has been awful this year. Not only that, he gets tagged in Boston and he blames that start time. Gets beat up by Detroit and blames the manager for not pulling him. Just seems like he feels entitled to success. He should be watching how Lynn composes himself because Gio has not been acting like an ace this year. I believe in the ability and think he'll snap back but he's been of the biggest disappointments on the team. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

12 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I am sure I'll get flamed for this take because Gio is the sweetheart for a lot of fans but his body language has been awful this year. Not only that, he gets tagged in Boston and he blames that start time. Gets beat up by Detroit and blames the manager for not pulling him. Just seems like he feels entitled to success. He should be watching how Lynn composes himself because Gio has not been acting like an ace this year. I believe in the ability and think he'll snap back but he's been of the biggest disappointments on the team. 

He's def a bad body language guy but I don't think it comes from entitlement or arrogance just wants to win and perform and gets in his own head too much sometimes when he doesn't.  I'm glad the Sox didn't try and lock him up, that's for sure.  I'd still say of anybody that has value he should be dangled first if some team wants to give a king's ransom for him let them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's def a bad body language guy but I don't think it comes from entitlement or arrogance just wants to win and perform and gets in his own head too much sometimes when he doesn't.  I'm glad the Sox didn't try and lock him up, that's for sure.  I'd still say of anybody that has value he should be dangled first if some team wants to give a king's ransom for him let them.

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about body language, but he does get into his head too much, ala Konerko.  I feel like when guys like that go bad it goes real bad.  It seems like a mechanical issue right now, which hopefully can be corrected...Katz is the right guy to help.

27 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Except he didn't blame the start time in Boston, so. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Giolito, who has been very transparent on how much work he has learned to do to keep himself in sync, should really just click his "fix" button to correct the motion to get a 6 foot 6 guy to throw baseballs 95 mph accurately. Why doesn't he realize that?

button.jpg

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, why are you assuming to know more about this than the people getting paid to do this job?

I'm not, but some guys have been transparent about what they're working on as long as it doesn't put them at a competitive disadvantage. I liked that and wish they would do it more often. 

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think it's mostly mental with Gio.  When he gets too amped or uptight his mechanics go to shit and he has a hard time finding his release points.  

This.

Maybe I'm just forgetting but this crackhead-ish rock he does on the mound while getting signs just screams nervous energy.  I mean, he usually rocks, but he's looking like a damn dope fiend with this year's rock.  He's far too amped up and putting too lofty of expectations on himself.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

This.

Maybe I'm just forgetting but this crackhead-ish rock he does on the mound while getting signs just screams nervous energy.  I mean, he usually rocks, but he's looking like a damn dope fiend with this year's rock.  He's far too amped up and putting too lofty of expectations on himself.  

Might not be politically correct way of putting it but yes, it's a self soothing thing and it's clear he's got some nervous energy on the mound that oftentimes hurts him.

I was listening to a tidbit of sports radio and benetti was on. He said he was texting with Katz this morning and Giolito had made some tweaks and felt like his slider was back on track.

He didn't mention if this thread was the catalyst.

• Haha 2