Giolito's slow start

Jack Parkman

Hopefully Gio can keep being transparent about his struggles after getting his ass handed to him by another shitty team in the division. His emotions out there certainly are transparent and that's what is important. 

Just terrible luck today. All of the damage today was the result of bad luck and strong wind blowing out.

Expected batting average..160 and .190 on the five runs given up today.

29 118.svg 572191.png Michael A. Taylor 145.svg 608337.png Lucas Giolito 13 2
Home Run
98.4 37 351 90.7 .160
5 118.svg 521692.png Salvador Perez 145.svg 608337.png Lucas Giolito 22 3
Home Run
97.0 35 344 84.3 .190
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

To be fair, the 5 runs Gio gave up were wind aided garbage.  Both of those balls are caught short of the warning track on a normal day.

They were both on pretty bad pitches though. One was a 90.7 MPH fastball down the middle and another was a slider that didn't slide enough.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Soxfest said:

Giolito numbers even last year without McCann were night and day!

Maybe the Mets would trade him back to us every 5th day only for Gio starts.

Edited by hi8is

3 hours ago, Angel Hernandez said:

If only we still had Cooper🐧

Katz ruined him:). 

Just kidding but I feel like his compact arm motion (which is good and helped him) became even more compact and now looks a little robotic

Maybe I'm seeing that wrong but to me it looks even more compact

Not quite sure but maybe he overdid it with the compact motion

• Like 1

Lucas’s horizontal release point is noticeably different vs last year, coming out what looks like a good 8 inches glove side.  His 4 seamer location is also vastly different than last year, with nearly 6% more of his pitches coming in below the zone and nearly 6% less of his pitches coming in his typical sweet-spot above the zone.  To me, it feels like his mechanics are a bit out of whack and it’s hurting his command some.  The slider has also been a mess this year, but that’s a different story.

• Like 1

Let's hope that he can correct whatever issues he has. If the season were to end right now, he would not be the best option to join the starting rotation for the playoffs. Rodon, Lynn, and Kopech are all in front of him, at this point. And Cease might get there, if he can be more consistent. Giolito is certainly not pitching like the Ace of the staff. You would have to think that Katz "will fix him". No one knows him better.

Edited by Lillian

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lucas’s horizontal release point is noticeably different vs last year, coming out what looks like a good 8 inches glove side.  His 4 seamer location is also vastly different than last year, with nearly 6% more of his pitches coming in below the zone and nearly 6% less of his pitches coming in his typical sweet-spot above the zone.  To me, it feels like his mechanics are a bit out of whack and it’s hurting his command some.  The slider has also been a mess this year, but that’s a different story.

I forget who was commenting on the Score, but they said his changeup was not “parachuting in” the way it was last year and prior. And also the league hitters are sitting on it and have adjusted. He has little room for  error with his stuff too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I forget who was commenting on the Score, but they said his changeup was not “parachuting in” the way it was last year and prior. And also the league hitters are sitting on it and have adjusted. He has little room for  error with his stuff too. 

It’s also because as CWS mentioned, he’s not using the high fastball effectively like he did last year.  Because of that, the unique high change up isn’t fooling hitters as much because they don’t confuse it with a fastball.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

"And also the league hitters are sitting on it and have adjusted." 

Thank you for mentioning that. That's one of two things I've noticed. It seems like he's fallen in love a bit too much with his change and teams are sitting on it, and the other thing is his velocity IS down. Now my concern is, is he hurt and just not saying anything? Many pitchers have done that before.  Or, like mentioned here by many people, is it mechanical? I'm hoping it's the latter. Because that can be fixed. If he's hurt......Or can it be this? Like I said, I think it looks like he's fallen in love a bit too much with his change. And sometimes when a pitcher who over uses an off speed pitch, he loses velocity.  I can think of two examples of this. Anyone on here remember Ron Darling? He threw hard when he came up with the Mets, but then he fell in love with his off speed split finger and after a few years, that's all he could throw. Or what about Mike MacDougal? He threw 100 mph while with KC, we get him and all he ever threw was his slider and never came anywhere close to throwing that hard for us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soxsi75 said:

"And also the league hitters are sitting on it and have adjusted." 

Thank you for mentioning that. That's one of two things I've noticed. It seems like he's fallen in love a bit too much with his change and teams are sitting on it, and the other thing is his velocity IS down. Now my concern is, is he hurt and just not saying anything? Many pitchers have done that before.  Or, like mentioned here by many people, is it mechanical? I'm hoping it's the latter. Because that can be fixed. If he's hurt......Or can it be this? Like I said, I think it looks like he's fallen in love a bit too much with his change. And sometimes when a pitcher who over uses an off speed pitch, he loses velocity.  I can think of two examples of this. Anyone on here remember Ron Darling? He threw hard when he came up with the Mets, but then he fell in love with his off speed split finger and after a few years, that's all he could throw. Or what about Mike MacDougal? He threw 100 mph while with KC, we get him and all he ever threw was his slider and never came anywhere close to throwing that hard for us. 

https://theathletic.com/2581873/2021/05/15/checking-in-on-lucas-giolitos-slow-start-while-michael-kopech-finds-his-slider/

Giolito and pitching coach Ethan Katz have been working to make something happen mechanically. Overall, Giolito’s release point has lacked the same vertical consistency of the past two years, but it’s presented in multiple ways. He wants glove-side fastball command and the ability to drive his heater down in the zone occasionally to keep hitters off the high-riding four-seamer he wants to live with, and he feels both have been leaking out into hittable areas. Accordingly, Giolito is riding the highest hard-hit rate of his career, which is mostly coming on his fastball and slider.

Link in thread: 

https://www.pitcherlist.com/lucas-giolito-isnt-quite-right/

His release point seems to be more over the top this year than usual. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Hope he figures it out, I feel like regardless of the season they will allow him to be the first starter in the playoffs. 

Really?  Why would they put their worst starter out there to begin the playoffs regardless of whether or not he's pitching well.  We are blessed with an abundance of good pitchers right now.  Giolito had a spectacular 2019 and 2 month 2020 season.  The other half of his career is not so good.

7 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Really?  Why would they put their worst starter out there to begin the playoffs regardless of whether or not he's pitching well.  We are blessed with an abundance of good pitchers right now.  Giolito had a spectacular 2019 and 2 month 2020 season.  The other half of his career is not so good.

CauseWeTheWhiteSox