Steve Stone / Yoan Moncada's "Lack of Effort and Interest"

38 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Can't read any The Athletic articles if you are providing a link to provide any kind of proof to  your opinion that it looked like he was tagged or the 90% thing you said. I don't think your opinion is in the article . Did you not see the replay and thus are adapting someone elses opinion as your own ?

FWIW Royals Review commentators by and large thought Matheny was being a whiny b**** and that since he was called safe at the plate the smart thing to do was stick with the call because there wasn't any clear angle showing a tag. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I get what you're saying and I had the same impression that Fegan was sorta doing that sportswriter narrative insert when guys are just giving sorta boilerplate reactions and not thinking too much about what they are saying, but for James I will allow it because he's just that good of a writer and if he felt the guys were feeling that way that's fine.

I can't read any Fegan articles because I don't subscribe and I know from the opinions I've read about him including yours, think he is far and away the best when compared to other beat writers. So without the material I need to make up my mind about him , besides tweets, I get the general impression that he  does let his personal beliefs color things he writes. Nothing wrong with that I if you are a fan of the team. I'm guessing he is a fan of the Sox rather than an outside journalist who might make more of an attempt to be impartial. I am open to being wrong about him , it's just my general impression.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Looks like he was tagged on the back before he could reach over Gallagher’s glove to get the plate...90% think he’s out.  So they all know they caught a break and avoided extras after watching Moncada get gunned down with a perfect Merrifield throw on the fly.

Is this your opinion?  "90% think he's out"   And why tie in Moncada's being called out.  

1 minute ago, MikeKreevich said:

Is this your opinion?  "90% think he's out"   And why tie in Moncada's being called out.  

I meant ME personally, not 90% of the team, SoxTalk, whatever.

Not sure if that’s a preponderance of the evidence...but it’s not quite clear to the standard of clear, incontrovertible.

Never mind, move along...not even sure what we’re debating at this point.  The umpiring has sucked balls all season long, on both Sox and opponent’s sides.

4 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I can’t stand this type of BS meatball armchair psychology.  Stone should stick to sparring with 14-year-olds on Twitter.

I got blocked for asking him about his skin care routine as a bit

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

I got blocked for asking him about his skin care routine as a bit

I wish they'd have hawk back for one game just to get a little "Stone Pony" bit in.  Stone sure is sensitive about his "Lady's Man" image for a guy that posed for Playgirl.  You'd think he'd be over it considering it happened what, almost 40 years ago?

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

The club needs to get Stone off Twitter. 

He tweets like a fan (which is great) and one night it will bubble over and "make news". 

One scout could call Yoan lazy, another sitting right next to him might say he has a slow heartbeat. I prefer to watch players who play with emotion, but I really like to win games.  We should let the numbers talk and Yoan is our second best position player thus far.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

The club needs to get Stone off Twitter. 

He tweets like a fan (which is great) and one night it will bubble over and "make news". 

One scout could call Yoan lazy, another sitting right next to him might say he has a slow heartbeat. I prefer to watch players who play with emotion, but I really like to win games.  We should let the numbers talk and Yoan is our second best position player thus far.  

Never heard that and I like it, well said.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok I'll say something about that Fegan article . This might be what he thinks he's perceiving based on his own thoughts  or is it truly the mood ?

I'm talking about the real or perceived idea among the Sox players as if they caught a break. He's intimating they know that Abreu was tagged out by smirking their way through answers when they talk about it.  Use the word "smirk" and it implies something conniving or sly like you got away with something.

Fegan's a fine writer and he may be telling the truth as he sees it but I don't like it. I would have preferred something like " we all saw the replay and there wasn't irrefutable evidence to reverse the call" . I'm sure some quotes like that were available. I don't like that he says the truth was different than the calls made on the field or by the league after further review.

Fegan does that a lot. He's a terrific writer but he often inserts his opinion into his work and presents it as a fact. In 2019, he often suggested that Moncada was a poor defensive 3B and wrote it as if everybody would agree, which I didn't understand given that both the eye test and all the advanced stats confirmed that Moncada was really good over at 3B, and of course now he's GG caliber.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Fegan does that a lot. He's a terrific writer but he often inserts his opinion into his work and presents it as a fact. In 2019, he often suggested that Moncada was a poor defensive 3B and wrote it as if everybody would agree, which I didn't understand given that both the eye test and all the advanced stats confirmed that Moncada was really good over at 3B, and of course now he's GG caliber.

His tweets are pretty bad too if I'm being honest.  That said he has a great style and he digs pretty deep usually.  Worth an Athletic sub.

Yoan definitely does not have the same personality as TA or Abreu or Hendriks (of course, Hendriks is unique).  I think the best way to describe Moncada is to say he quietly goes about his business and is one of the best.  None of us can say what kind of teammate he is, and it would be speculation if we did say.  We also really don't know how hard he works outside of the games.  He may work his ass off and prepare as hard as anyone.  He obviously puts in a lot of work, but maybe he could work harder.  Who knows.

• Like 2

So this is really going to become an everyday thing for The Stone Pone?

I’m sure it did feel like you were giving your all when it took everything you physically had, including illegal substances, to get your fastball up to 82mph and make even slower pitches break.

Judging by his random-uncle-body from his Playgirl sessions, it definitely shows how motivated and interested this guy was every hour he spent off the field.  

Stone even ripped on him tonight for the double play early in the game where Mercedes lined it right to Sano, who doubled Moncada off at first. There was nothing Moncada could have done- he froze on a line drive, and even if he somehow immediately ran back to first base instead, he still would have been easily out. It was a weirdly forced snipe given that literally any player in baseball is getting doubled off there unless they just don't even attempt to take leads before pitches.

He's up to a .399 OBP and 6.4 fWAR pace after tonight, by the way.

Edited by Jose Abreu

• 3 weeks later...