Steve Stone / Yoan Moncada's "Lack of Effort and Interest"

46 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

But Steve Stone said he doesn't care or try!

Carlos Febles (Red Sox Third Base Coach)

“But when you see a guy like that, and something that people don’t know is he works hard. He goes out and he would do everything you asked him to do. That makes you feel that he’s definitely going to get it. A lot of guys are talented, but they don’t push themselves to the limit. And he does.

Opinions are just that. Facts are facts. Tell him what you want and if he doesn’t like it tell him to hustle everyday and we’ll have no problem. 

Is it me or is this the most emotionally invested we've seen Yoan since he's been in Chicago?  He's been so much more animated than he has been in the past.  Dude was absolutely pumped up last night in the 9th.  He looks like he's actually having fun and feels heavily invested.  Love to see it.

22 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Is it me or is this the most emotionally invested we've seen Yoan since he's been in Chicago?  He's been so much more animated than he has been in the past.  Dude was absolutely pumped up last night in the 9th.  He looks like he's actually having fun and feels heavily invested.  Love to see it.

He and Anderson looked very worn out for the first few innings last night. Anderson was slow going his right on a liner, moncada had the error and had no desire to get it. Once the rally started they seemed to wake up. 

53 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Emotion is the overrated and fans feel it is necessary in modern professional sports.  It's worked it's way into youth sports, It's why I can't stomach the NFL anymore. If you look at the greats in all professional sports they weren't throwing fits or over celebrating.  When an athlete sucks we expect them to throw a fit otherwise they don't care.

Some can't generate enough soap operas for this team that use to be reserved for the Northside. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

Emotion is the overrated and fans feel it is necessary in modern professional sports.  It's worked it's way into youth sports, It's why I can't stomach the NFL anymore. If you look at the greats in all professional sports they weren't throwing fits or over celebrating.  When an athlete sucks we expect them to throw a fit otherwise they don't care.

Some can't generate enough soap operas for this team that use to be reserved for the Northside. 

Sports are entertainment dude. Fans find lack of emotion boring. 

Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson were great. More of that please. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I take it you’ve never actually played team sports?  Emotion is overrated?  Are you implying that clubhouse leaders, in any sport, are best if they’re stoic and quiet?  There’s nothing positive coming from a guy pumping up his teammates?  Nothing good about players holding one another accountable (see Rizzo and Contreras the other day)?

MJ—-stoic?

Tom Brady—-stoic?

Tatis Jr, Acuna, Trout —-stoic?

No one is looking for drama. A player like Yoan coming out of his shell to celebrate with his team, clap his hands hard after a big hit, or just joking around with the guys, speaks volumes about his maturation process as a leader in the dugout and the emotional investments he’s chosen to make in this team.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

15 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I take it you’ve never actually played team sports?  Emotion is overrated?  Are you implying that clubhouse leaders, in any sport, are best if they’re stoic and quiet?  There’s nothing positive coming from a guy pumping up his teammates?  Nothing good about players holding one another accountable (see Rizzo and Contreras the other day)?

MJ—-stoic?

Tom Brady—-stoic?

Tatis Jr, Acuna, Trout —-stoic?

No one is looking for drama. A player like Yoan coming out of his shell to celebrate with his team, clap his hands hard after a big hit, or just joking around with the guys, speaks volumes about his maturation process as a leader in the dugout and the emotional investments he’s chosen to make in this team.

Yep (I got ejected from a high school football game) and I still think it's overrated when judging a player.    I'm from a different generation watching over a half century of baseball. How many hall of famers destroyed a dugout?

It's more about self control Look at the negative comments and it proves my point.   When the team is not doing well people on the forum think a bench clearing brawl will fix it.

10 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Yep (I got ejected from a high school football game) and I still think it's overrated when judging a player.    I'm from a different generation watching over a half century of baseball. How many hall of famers destroyed a dugout?

It's more about self control Look at the negative comments and it proves my point.   When the team is not doing well people on the forum think a bench clearing brawl will fix it.

Everyone should act like Paul O'Neill and George Brett if they really care about the game. 

Bob Brenly is taking a week off to reflect on his statements about Stroman and others including Aramis Ramirez who spoke out regarding Brenly's  personal attacks.

Steve Stone, who has a history of attacking various players and managers, including his current crusade against Yoan Moncada, better check himself before he is also asked to take a time out, either temporary or permanent.

https://theathletic.com/2631373/2021/06/03/former-cub-aramis-ramirez-says-bob-brenlys-commentary-was-discriminatory-brenly-to-take-week-off-of-diamondbacks-broadcasts/

Brenly’s comment about Stroman isn’t the first time that viewers have taken note of how the broadcaster talks about players of color. His commentary of Ramírez was noted at the time. Though Ramírez said he never personally confronted Brenly about it, he publicly pushed back on Brenly’s criticism after he left Chicago. In 2015, the website Chicago Now wrote a satirical story about Brenly, lampooning what it felt was his reliance on racial tropes when talking about non-White players. Two years ago, as a member of the Diamondbacks broadcast crew, Brenly made an on-air joke about Fernando Tatís Jr. wearing a “bike chain around his neck” that was called out for being racialized and out of line.

Given that history, Ramírez said he feels like sensitivity or awareness training is not the appropriate action for the Diamondbacks to take. “He should be fired right now,” Ramírez said. 

Chicago Now Article Link: https://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2015/05/analyzing-bob-brenly-the-way-he-analyzes-starlin-castro/

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Bob Brenly is taking a week off to reflect on his statements about Stroman and others including Aramis Ramirez who spoke out regarding Brenly's  personal attacks.

Steve Stone, who has a history of attacking various players and managers, including his current crusade against Yoan Moncada, better check himself before he is also asked to take a time out, either temporary or permanent.

https://theathletic.com/2631373/2021/06/03/former-cub-aramis-ramirez-says-bob-brenlys-commentary-was-discriminatory-brenly-to-take-week-off-of-diamondbacks-broadcasts/

Chicago Now Article Link: https://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2015/05/analyzing-bob-brenly-the-way-he-analyzes-starlin-castro/

What Stone said has nothing to do with that situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The intimation here being that Stone has a similar trend of going after non-white players in his most pointed criticisms...

And multiple managers on both sides of town.

Calling out poor play is one thing. Attributing it to lack of caring, to not trying, is an opinion, not a fact, as Steve Stone tries to argue.

19 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

You little rebel you!

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

And multiple managers on both sides of town.

Calling out poor play is one thing. Attributing it to lack of caring, to not trying, is an opinion, not a fact, as Steve Stone tries to argue.

Steve Stone gives his opinion on things all the time. What the hell are these weird posts trying to draw parallels to a completely irrelevant situation?

27 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Steve Stone gives his opinion on things all the time. What the hell are these weird posts trying to draw parallels to a completely irrelevant situation?

Not on Tony, outside of complete bullshit when it comes to kissing Tony La Russa's ass, while holding others to a much different standard.

Ask Dusty Baker, Lou Piniella, Ricky Renteria, Jim Hendry. Ask Yoan Moncada, the subject of this thread.

Hendry criticized Stone for a "personal attack" on Baker and termed his Thursday comments "inappropriate."

OCT. 5: Cubs officials say Stone admitted his remarks about Baker were "personal."

"Steve Stone? He's got enough problems with what he does with the White Sox," Piniella said. "What job has he had in baseball besides talking on television or radio? What has he done? Why isn't he a farm director, and bring some kids around? Why isn't he a general manager? Why hasn't he ever put the uniform on and been a pitching coach? Why hasn't he been a field manager? There's 30 teams out there that can use a guy's expertise like that.

"I'm tired of some of these guys, I really am."

The answer to Lou's question is despite baseball's crony job hiring practices, nobody on Earth would empower Stone's pompous arrogant ass with a management position.

Can't imagine being a human being having to report to Steve Stone, or having that well documented asshole work in my organization, Even the king of crony hires JR has enough sense to keep him in a non management role, where his toxicity is limited to his feuds with longtime broadcast partners and trashing White Sox fans on twitter.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Not on Tony, outside of complete bullshit when it comes to kissing Tony La Russa's ass, while holding others to a much different standard.

Ask Dusty Baker, Lou Piniella, Ricky Renteria, Jim Hendry. Ask Yoan Moncada, the subject of this thread.

The answer to Lou's question is despite baseball's crony job hiring practices, nobody on Earth would empower Stone's pompous arrogant ass with a management position.

Can't imagine being a human being having to report to Steve Stone, or having that well documented asshole work in my organization, Even the king of crony hires JR has enough sense to keep him in a non management role, where his toxicity is limited to his feuds with longtime broadcast partners and trashing White Sox fans on twitter.

Sure. But I dont get the irrelevant parallels to another situation with racial connotations. Stone is an equal opportunity man when he  comes down hard on people. Except maybe la russa, but whatever. 

Sox brass isn't happy with Moncadas partying. Stone knows this and I think thats where he comes in questioning someone's effort. Is what it is. Not a big deal as long as he keeps performing.

Stone is a good analyst but full of himself. He is a 17.0 career WAR pitcher, most of the time being slightly above replacement level. I will never forget a Soxfest when he refused to sign a ball on the sweet spot because he thought the fan would try to sell it for big bucks, Someone should tell him a new ball costs$10. A ball signed by him eventually makes it to the $5 bin at Soxfest.

21 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Sure. But I dont get the irrelevant parallels to another situation with racial connotations. Stone is an equal opportunity man when he  comes down hard on people. Except maybe la russa, but whatever. 

Sox brass isn't happy with Moncadas partying. Stone knows this and I think thats where he comes in questioning someone's effort. Is what it is. Not a big deal as long as he keeps performing.

What the hell is this about? Recording a music video in the off-season. Please.

Have actual links to support this, or just another unsubstantiated rumors and innuendos lobbed at Moncada?

37 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

You realize the only non~minority on the list is Hendry, right?   A bit of an unusual pattern.  Especially with Hispanic players and coaches.