Chicago White Sox vs Kansas City Royals 5/16/21 GT

soxfan49

1 minute ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

In the umpire's defense, he literally had the best view and none of the camera angles showed a definitive tag.

It looked like he was safe to me. His arm went over the tag.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Tony's substitutions are primarily for two of the best hitters, Vaughn and Mercedes.

2021 Substitutions:

• Vaughn 12
  • Lamb 5
  • Mercedes 4
  • Grandal & Mendick 2
  • Nine other players 1

Doesn't really address the PH issue. I remember one time he had Eaton PH for Vaughn early in the season when Vaughn was scuffling and Eaton hit a HR.

17 minutes ago, sj91 said:

Damn, 100% thought he was out. Great comeback!

I don't see how anyone with eyes could think he was out.  You have to find a contact point of the glove to the skin or jersey to say he was tagged. I saw none of that . No altered movement  of the glove or jersey to indicate there was a tag.Therefore inconclusive and the call stands.

• Like 1
  • Fire 3

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't see how anyone with eyes could think he was out.  You have to find a contact point of the glove to the skin or jersey to say he was tagged. I saw none of that . No altered movement  of the glove or jersey to indicate there was a tag.Therefore inconclusive and the call stands.

Exactly, the rule is simple, the call stands unless there is irrefutable evidence to the contrary, there isn't in this instance so the ump's call stands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Doesn't really address the PH issue. I remember one time he had Eaton PH for Vaughn early in the season when Vaughn was scuffling and Eaton hit a HR.

Of the 34 substitutions of hitters this season, only eight were for pinch hit (the rest either defense or to pinch run). Of those eight, one was to get Moncada out in a blow out (Mendick pinch hit), a second had Leury pinch hit early in the year for Andrew Vaughn.

Tony just doesn't believe in pinch hitting for his weak hitters late in ballgames when it matters, at least to start this season.

In a game were strikeouts are plenty (reducing the chances defensive substitutions matter) and offense is at a premium, Tony prioritizes bunting, defensive substitutions and pinch running.