5/16/21 Games

DirtySox

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Nice to see these older shit or get off the pot type guys off to good starts.  Sheets is intriguing, granted he's probably just a 4 OF type that can't play center so he has to hit... maybe he can?

I’d look to see if Texas has any interest in Sheets and Steiver for Gallo. You’d create a little log jam in 2022 but think jury is still out on Yermin at this point. 

LF - Vaughn

RF - Gallo

DH - Eloy 

You put another big LH bat in your lineup and really improve your OF defense in the process getting Eloy off the field. 

What an interesting/unexpected start to the year. Kanny has always swallowed up players, and not necessarily ended them (remember Robert sucked in Kanny).

But the success of so many older position players across every other level is intriguing. Star power? Probably not, but these are certainly the types of guys that can still net you a middle reliever (think ryan cordell for swarzak).

And with Sheets, who knows. Props to those that stuck with him, I was not at all interested in a 1b struggling with power at an age appropriate level. But his base level was a guy with a great approach and build for power. Power came, he has great bloodlines, and if you've ever heard sheets talk you'd want him to succeed. Maybe he is real.

Probably a broken record here - but it really is time to wonder if there is something very right with our player development for the first time.

Some food for thought:

- Our hit rate on our most talented players is looking very, very impressive

- Kade McClure and Konnor Pilkington, two "gutty" strike-throwing college pitchers who seemed stalled out in A-ball found velo jumps and are now on the radar as legitimate bullpen/5th starter (optimistically) pieces. Lambert and Fry I think fit in similar profiles, and Stiever is maybe the reason to not get too excited about a temp velo jump (though he may have returned)

- Sheets star fades as he fails to find any power in an easy power park, has a nice season in AA, then finds his power stroke while also losing weight and reportedly being an ok outfielder. 

- Rutherford's swing was not near enough to justify corner outfield, last year we hear his exit velos are strong, and this year to date a lot more power. Do I think he's a future starter? No but consider a few years ago where failed first rounders would just become zombie prospects in AAA hitting .130.

- I'm even impressed by Curbelo right now. He was such a tease and so consistently bad, I was surprised he was even still in the org. That he was placed at his highest level and is crushing it shows they are self-scouting much better and improving these guys.

Basically, I'm impressed at how they are finding more value out of guys with core, boring skills, while also having succeeded with such explosive talent profiles that are currently in the majors like Kopech and Robert (and looking good for cease).

Keep it up sox.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, bmags said:

What an interesting/unexpected start to the year. Kanny has always swallowed up players, and not necessarily ended them (remember Robert sucked in Kanny).

But the success of so many older position players across every other level is intriguing. Star power? Probably not, but these are certainly the types of guys that can still net you a middle reliever (think ryan cordell for swarzak).

And with Sheets, who knows. Props to those that stuck with him, I was not at all interested in a 1b struggling with power at an age appropriate level. But his base level was a guy with a great approach and build for power. Power came, he has great bloodlines, and if you've ever heard sheets talk you'd want him to succeed. Maybe he is real.

Probably a broken record here - but it really is time to wonder if there is something very right with our player development for the first time.

Some food for thought:

- Our hit rate on our most talented players is looking very, very impressive

- Kade McClure and Konnor Pilkington, two "gutty" strike-throwing college pitchers who seemed stalled out in A-ball found velo jumps and are now on the radar as legitimate bullpen/5th starter (optimistically) pieces. Lambert and Fry I think fit in similar profiles, and Stiever is maybe the reason to not get too excited about a temp velo jump (though he may have returned)

- Sheets star fades as he fails to find any power in an easy power park, has a nice season in AA, then finds his power stroke while also losing weight and reportedly being an ok outfielder. 

- Rutherford's swing was not near enough to justify corner outfield, last year we hear his exit velos are strong, and this year to date a lot more power. Do I think he's a future starter? No but consider a few years ago where failed first rounders would just become zombie prospects in AAA hitting .130.

- I'm even impressed by Curbelo right now. He was such a tease and so consistently bad, I was surprised he was even still in the org. That he was placed at his highest level and is crushing it shows they are self-scouting much better and improving these guys.

Basically, I'm impressed at how they are finding more value out of guys with core, boring skills, while also having succeeded with such explosive talent profiles that are currently in the majors like Kopech and Robert (and looking good for cease).

Keep it up sox.

Or Mendick.

That said, the jury’s also a mixed bag on Heuer and Burdi, to name just a couple.  Codi still has a lot of time to right the ship.

So far, Crochet looks like a success, and Bummer is one of the best 19th round picks in recent MLB history.

Ruiz might be a thing, even.   And heck, even Foster has looked better in recent appearances.

Personally expecting more value out of Burger at third base as long as he can stay on the field and continue t produce offensively.

AA will be a heckuva lot more interesting with the arrivals of Cespedes and then Colas in 2022.

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Or Mendick.

That said, the jury’s also a mixed bag on Heuer and Burdi, to name just a couple.  Codi still has a lot of time to right the ship.

So far, Crochet looks like a success, and Bummer is one of the best 19th round picks in recent MLB history.

Ruiz might be a thing, even.   And heck, even Foster has looked better in recent appearances.

Personally expecting more value out of Burger at third base as long as he can stay on the field and continue t produce offensively.

AA will be a heckuva lot more interesting with the arrivals of Cespedes and then Colas in 2022.

Heuer is a sixth round pick that made the majors in two years. 

16 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Things like that are why Kelley "fell" to the 2nd round. 

Some HS guys back up when forced to start every 5th day, and that was the knock on Kelley. 

He's 19 and didn't get to do any type of Rookie Ball.

Give him time.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Quin said:

He's 19 and didn't get to do any type of Rookie Ball.

Give him time.

also relevant:

The league where all of our youngest and guys most in need of development are struggling, the others with a lot of older, college players are having early success. We need to give these guys time, kanny is always the hardest jump.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bmags said:

also relevant:

The league where all of our youngest and guys most in need of development are struggling, the others with a lot of older, college players are having early success. We need to give these guys time, kanny is always the hardest jump.

Have to wonder if the sloppy play is due to lack of not really having a season in 2020.

18 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Things like that are why Kelley "fell" to the 2nd round. 

Some HS guys back up when forced to start every 5th day, and that was the knock on Kelley. 

Kelley "fell" to the second round because he had a deal with the Sox and his reps told people he was going to UT. Could you provide a source one Kelley starting ever fifth day being the knock on him? 

8 hours ago, Tony said:

I’d look to see if Texas has any interest in Sheets and Steiver for Gallo. You’d create a little log jam in 2022 but think jury is still out on Yermin at this point. 

LF - Vaughn

RF - Gallo

DH - Eloy 

You put another big LH bat in your lineup and really improve your OF defense in the process getting Eloy off the field. 

That's not going to get it done for Texas. 

Edited by raBBit

8 hours ago, raBBit said:

Kelley "fell" to the second round because he had a deal with the Sox and his reps told people he was going to UT. Could you provide a source one Kelley starting ever fifth day being the knock on him? 

I didn't just pull that out of my ass but I really don't feel like putting in the time to find the source right now. Maybe in a few weeks, I'm busy af right now. 

• Haha 3