Minor League Catch-All 2021

DirtySox

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/daily-prospect-notes-5-17-21/

Gavin Sheets, 1B/OF, Chicago White Sox
Level & Affiliate: Triple-A CharlotteAge: 25   Org Rank: 24   FV: 40 Line: 2-for-4, HR, BB

Notes
Sheets has long been a hitter with much more raw power than game power. So far this year, he’s slugging .633 against a career .418 mark. His batted ball profile (which you can see on his player page) is nearly identical to the year-over-year distribution he’s exhibited throughout his career. I haven’t done a visual evaluation of the swing to see if it’s changed, but based on the batted ball data (which won’t really stabilize for another three weeks, for what it’s worth), I’d guess that this is a small sample anomaly rather than a real change in output.

Edited by DirtySox

Some season starts by non Sox top prospects

Rays guys:

Wander Franco had a good start hitting 340 with 3 homers so far. His one flaw was he was hitting too many grounders/too low launch angle kinda Eric Hosmer style but so far this year he lowered his GB rate from high 40s to mid 30s which could make him even better (30 plus bomb guy vs 20s with the old approach) 

Also interesting is Vidal Brujan, already 23 yo middle infielder who was more of a slapdick contact and run prospect but he seems to have added power and has already hit 5 homers with 15% Ks and 15% walks. Could be a star too if that power stays. 

Padres guys:

Abrams: 

Has hit 300 with 2 Homers and lots of walks but also a 23% k rate which is probably a bit higher than they hoped for even though of course AA was an aggressive assignment

Robert hassell

Last years HS draft outfielder has hit 275 with 2 Homers and tons of walks but also 26% Ks which is a bit high even though of course as a HS pick that is totally ok

Spencer gore not looking good at all so far in 3 starts, his stock seems to be falling

Orioles guys:

Adley rutschman:

Strange season so far, 20% walk rate and 3 homers already but 25% k rate and 205 avg (partly due to 230 babip) doesn't look so great compared to Vaughn from the same year who is holding his own in mlb. 

Grayson Rodriguez at 21 in high A looks like a Monster, 1.5 era with a 37% K-bb rate

Tigers guys:

Torkelson:

So far walking a ton but that is the only positive, hitting 160 with no homers and a ton of Ks

Pitching prospect Tarik skubal isn't great either so far at a 5 era.

Mariners top outfield prospect julio Rodriguez looks good too hitting 327 with 10% walks and 5 homers, 20% k rate is OK too. 

Bobby witt Jr didn't have a good start hitting 180 with 1 Homer and 29% k

• Like 2

Interesting, I wonder if the forced cuts due to losing teams and smashing a rookie class into a group that hadn't played made a lot of 50/50 cuts, and when they saw who they kept they are reversing course and going after some guys that went to indy?

Goldstein on Jake Burger.

Jake Burger, 3B, Chicago White Sox (Triple-A Charlotte)

The 11th pick in the 2017 draft, it’s hard to imagine a more injury plagued prospect than Burger, who entered the season having not played in almost four years due to back-to-back severe Achilles tendon ruptures. Suddenly 25, he was understandably pushed to Triple-A to start the season, and the results so far have been mixed. His .196/.245/.500 line in 11 games tells you everything you need to know about his offense. He’s hitting for power, with six of his nine hits going for extra bases, but isn’t hitting that much overall. “The bat speed is there, but he needs to simplify his swing in order to quit getting beat by good velocity,” said one pro scout who recently caught Burger in action. There is plenty of good news here, though, and not just because Burger is actually playing. He’s slimmed down and now projects as an average third baseman with a plus arm. There’s still a long way to go before we know what we have here, but it’s nice to see things moving in the right direction.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-thursday-scouting-notebook-5-20-2021/

Edited by DirtySox

Law on Sheets today.

Jack: I’ve seen the White Sox toying around with Gavin Sheets in right field – any chance he could exist in an outfield with Andrew Vaughn or is that just asking too much of Billy Hamilton / Robert when he’s back?
Keith Law: I haven’t seen Sheets in the outfield, but having seen him at first base I’d be surprised if he could be even a 45 defender in RF.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2021/05/21/klawchat-5-21-21/

Burger made the BA hot sheet today.

13. Jake Burger, 3B, White Sox
Team: Triple-A Charlotte (East)
Why He’s Here: .333/.364/.905 (7-for-21), 5 R, 3 2B, 0 3B, 3 HR, 5 RBIs, 1 BB, 8 SO

The Scoop: It’s been a long road back for Burger, who was the White Sox’s first-round pick out of Missouri State back in 2017, when he last appeared in an affiliated game. Since then, he’s torn his Achilles heel twice, among a host of injuries, and spent part of the lost 2020 season playing in an indy league. His bat was a consistently loud bright spot in Charlotte’s series against Durham, and he didn’t look bad at third base, either. (JN)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/hot-sheet-baseballs-20-hottest-prospects-from-the-past-week-52421/

Edited by DirtySox

Also a Burger question in KGs chat today.

RIP GB
12:49    Thoughts on Jake Burger? Strictly a 3B/1B guy? Any chance he has the chops for a corner OF spot?
Kevin Goldstein
12:50    I think that would be a stretch, but I'm encouraged to hear he's been pretty solid at 3B so far. Was more of a 40-45 there for me when I saw him play in Carbondale during his draft year.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kevin-goldstein-fangraphs-chat-5-24-2021/

Edited by DirtySox