One knee catchers vs two

southsider2k5

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

JJ Cooper has been doing some awesome stuff recently. Kinda fun since he was open about learning R and getting help from twitter community, looks like it led to more stuff like this. 

I was under the impression Grandal moved to this stance due to his injury. Any word on whether this will be soon?

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20210424/soxs-grandal-adjusts-after-changing-catchers-stance-due-to-knee-injury

Really want to go to automated strikes next season. I believe Grandal will improve defensively by being able to focus on the other defensive aspects of the position when pitch framing is no longer a priority.

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't understand how it became so prevalent pretty much over night. How did everyone start catching like this at the same time?  The groupthink going on in baseball today is really scary.  

I had never heard of it until this season. Does this/has it started trickling down to the minors/amateur ranks as well?

15 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't understand how it became so prevalent pretty much over night. How did everyone start catching like this at the same time?  The groupthink going on in baseball today is really scary.  

Catchers probably tried it and realized it feels a whole lot better on their knees. Simple as that. If you can be more productive offensively, for longer in your career, and have better knees when you retire, it's a no brainer. 

15 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I had never heard of it until this season. Does this/has it started trickling down to the minors/amateur ranks as well?

It sure has and it's beyond frustrating.  It really makes no sense to try to steal a low strike when your pitcher misses the strike zone by a foot.  Catchers spend more time at the backstop than they do behind the plate but I guess they have to teach what the big leaguers do.  It's hard enough to evaluate a catcher and ths makes it even harder because they're always out of position.  It's infuriating.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It sure has and it's beyond frustrating.  It really makes no sense to try to steal a low strike when your pitcher misses the strike zone by a foot.  Catchers spend more time at the backstop than they do behind the plate but I guess they have to teach what the big leaguers do.  It's hard enough to evaluate a catcher and ths makes it even harder because they're always out of position.  It's infuriating.  

If it feels better for the catchers, who the hell cares? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Now where did I misplace that tinfoil hat ….? 

• Haha 1

why wasn't it groupthink when every catcher was in the two kneed stance?

So the one knee is better at controlling the run game but is 3% worse on past balls. Not 50% worse, 3% worse, and it may open more players to being competent at catcher.

Seems fine. It has been extremely hard to find competent catchers that can maintain offense for multiple years. If this makes them slightly worse at receiving but provides better offensive longevity and framing and controlling run game, then that's probably a gamble teams should make. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

At this point I feel like Grandal should just get his legs amputated and get some Lt. Dan legs. I don’t know how he’s so bad behind the plate after being billed as a defensive catcher.

10 years from now we will find out that Grandal has a family member that hacked into the WAR formula to alter his performance 

• Haha 2

On 5/18/2021 at 11:29 AM, bmags said:

why wasn't it groupthink when every catcher was in the two kneed stance?

So the one knee is better at controlling the run game but is 3% worse on past balls. Not 50% worse, 3% worse, and it may open more players to being competent at catcher.

Seems fine. It has been extremely hard to find competent catchers that can maintain offense for multiple years. If this makes them slightly worse at receiving but provides better offensive longevity and framing and controlling run game, then that's probably a gamble teams should make. 

Well said. It's obviously too early to make any bold proclamations, but in the long run, the increased offensive potential probably outweighs the runs you lose by going to one knee