And that's a 16-4 White Sox winner!

chitownsportsfan

6 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I just wanna point out that Moncada's .399 OBP looks fuckin sexy right now.

Yeah, but if he actually tried he'd have an OBP of .500.  All he wants to do is make music videos with hot women.

for the record, I agree with this. I didn’t think those announcers saying “I don’t like it” is that big of a deal. Imagine hawk on a call, he just wouldn’t like Sox being embarrassed and takes it out on anything.

9 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I'm torn on Mercedes hitting that HR in that situation.  Part of me is fine with it.  The other part of me wishes he would have hit it farther.

Seriously, it would be ok if Yermin was trying and struck out or popped it up, but smashing a HR is off limits? If the batter isn’t supposed to try, the other team should just surrender and forfeit.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Was at the game tonight. A couple things:

1) Target Field is a wonderful ballpark. I highly recommend going. And people in Minneapolis are really friendly.

2) What a fun game. We picked the right one. I was a little peeved we didn't get to see Pito (we also didn't get to see him when we saw Friday night's game against KC due to the collision) but that disappointment was quickly erased when the Sox started piling on the runs.

3) Twins fans in the lf bleachers grew a love for Leury Garcia. When they put Mendick in LF and Leury in RF, they started chanting "We Want Garcia!" Mendick turned around at them and just threw his hands up. The LF fans cheered for Leury when he came to bat, then Leury singled and they cheered and started chanting "MVP. MVP." Leury pointed at them when he was standing at 1B and they cheered. It was hilarious.

4) This was my first time scoring a game at the ballpark. It was real fun up until about the 7th inning...all the subs and position changes made it confusing as shit lol.

5) There were PLENTY of White Sox fans at the park. Felt like home away from home, and made the blowout win all the sweeter.

6) Will definitely be coming back to Minneapolis some day. Again, just a great city! Huge thanks to @ChiSox59 for the suggestions!

Glad you enjoyed the game!!!! I was there too and if was awfully fun!! 

36 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I'm torn on Mercedes hitting that HR in that situation.  Part of me is fine with it.  The other part of me wishes he would have hit it farther.

If that jake Lamb at bat is playing the game the right way, I personally want none of it.

Ok I thought I more or less understood the game in my  3 and a bit seasons watching  , couldn't understand the fuss about Tim tossing bat against the Royals year a two back and I sure as hell don't understand the fuss about that weird slow ball , you gonna throw it slow I'm gonna knock it to Mars , what's the problem ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Bazox said:

Ok I thought I more or less understood the game in my  3 and a bit seasons watching  , couldn't understand the fuss about Tim tossing bat against the Royals year a two back and I sure as hell don't understand the fuss about that weird slow ball , you gonna throw it slow I'm gonna knock it to Mars , what's the problem ?

I very much enjoy your posts, you bring a very interesting perspective as a new fan, I'm always curious to hear your take.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bazox said:

The issue that the announcers were bringing up is that swinging at a 3-0 pitch in this situation is unnecessary. You should give the position player or struggling player a break because the game is already decided. They didn't have a problem with the homerun. It's the swinging at 3-0. At one time this was considered a courtesy to the player.

Here's how I look at it- maybe your stupid fucking gray bearded SP shouldn't have gotten rocked and then maybe your crappy bullpen shouldn't have sucked & then maybe you wouldn't need to bring in a fatass catcher to pitch

Mercedes worked his ass off to make it to the bigs. Every AB is a god damn showcase for him and likely an honor in his mind. Is he supposed to sit there and get himself out? Maybe there's a reason that these rules are unwritten. What a bunch of bullshit

• Fire 3

The Sox should absolutely play the game the right way:

1. Score as many runs as possible in every situation
  2. Give up as few runs as possible in every situation

The game isn't over until the home team is leading at the end of 8.5 or later, or the away team is leading at the end of 9 or later. If you don't want the opposing team to keep scoring, then forfeit. Stop trying to score any runs yourself.

I still remember playing soccer for a year as a kid. Our team was terrible! We scored one goal the entire season. We still had fun, and we weren't even being paid hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. 

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You should give the position player or struggling player

I only saw the highlights , so Astudillo isn't a pitcher or he had a poorly arm , surely they had somebody that could throw a quicker ball  ?

Edited by Bazox

1 minute ago, Bazox said:

I only saw the highlights , so Astudillo isn't a pitcher or he had a poorly arm  Surely they had somebody that could throw a quicker ball  ?

He can throw faster, that's an "eephus" pitch, sometimes pitchers will break out an incredibly slow, softball-like pitch like that to mess with hitters timings. It can make the hitters look very silly if they don't expect it. But position players have been doing it a lot recently when they pitch so I'm not surprised Yermin was ready to just destroy it.

But yes, had the eephus pitch made Yermin swing wildly and miss, everyone would have laughed. But crush it for a home run and everyone feels sad for the poor pitcher.

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

He can throw faster, that's an "eephus" pitch, sometimes pitchers will break out an incredibly slow, softball-like pitch like that to mess with hitters timings. It can make the hitters look very silly if they don't expect it. But position players have been doing it a lot recently when they pitch so I'm not surprised Yermin was ready to just destroy it.

But yes, had the eephus pitch made Yermin swing wildly and miss, everyone would have laughed. But crush it for a home run and everyone feels sad for the poor pitcher.

This, to me, is one of the keys. The entire point of the eephus pitch is to fool and embarrass the batter but inducing a big whiff, I don't give a shit if he's a position player or it's a 3-0 count, turn about is fair play.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Bazox said:

You're making the mistake of not considering the "unwritten rules of baseball". Some would say Mercedes was embarrassing the Twins by kicking them when they were just trying to end the game and save their bullpen. Others, like me, would insist that a position player who plays catcher and so clearly can throw more than 47 mph is in fact trying to embarrass the hitters by throwing that garbage up there. I'm sure the Twins bench got a big kick out of the first two hitters of the ninth embarrassing themselves.  It's one thing if you put in a shortstop and he throws in the low 80s, at least he's giving it his best effort. But what the Twins did last night was totally bush league. You throw *that* crap up there and I have no sympathy.

Since about 2001, the Minnesota Twins franchise has had no problem piling on the Sox at every opportunity. They also were more than happy to manipulate the airflow to their own benefit in that oversized indoor mall they used to occupy. On top of that, there's nary a Sox-Twins series I will watch without thinking of Torii Hunter intentionally plowing over Jamie Burke and causing hearing damage on a play that anyone could see was totally unnecessary to score a run. With all due respect, their announcers can go fuck themselves. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 3