And that's a 16-4 White Sox winner!

chitownsportsfan

25 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The issue that the announcers were bringing up is that swinging at a 3-0 pitch in this situation is unnecessary. You should give the position player or struggling player a break because the game is already decided. They didn't have a problem with the homerun. It's the swinging at 3-0. At one time this was considered a courtesy to the player.

So is taking a walk more respectful? So that the next guy can hit a 2 run bomb.

These "unwritten rules" really mean "Im mad that im losing so don't give me a reason to throw a fit"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I will say I think there is more backlash to a backlash for Yermins home run then there was actual backlash. Seems like everyone was ok with it except the announcer saying he didn't like it, but that was hour 4 of a beat down so I give them a break.

• Like 2

So there is chatter now that both LaRussa and Eaton were upset with Yermin and the HR. There is video floating out there of LaRussa visibly upset after the HR. I guess he is going to be asked about it pregame...be very interesting to hear his answer. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

So there is chatter now that both LaRussa and Eaton were upset with Yermin and the HR. There is video floating out there of LaRussa visibly upset after the HR. I guess he is going to be asked about it pregame...be very interesting to hear his answer. 

If this has any merit, what a joke. 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

People are really stretching nothing out of a nothing video. The TLR hate train rolls on.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The issue that the announcers were bringing up is that swinging at a 3-0 pitch in this situation is unnecessary. You should give the position player or struggling player a break because the game is already decided. They didn't have a problem with the homerun. It's the swinging at 3-0. At one time this was considered a courtesy to the player.

I’m sorry but this is just beyond insane. You aren’t wrong in the sense that was the belief by the baby boomers, but it was wrong then and it’s wrong now. These are PAID, PROFESSIONAL athletes. This is how they make a living. 

Yermin is a perfect example here. Let’s say at the end of this year, he ends the season with 29 HR’s. The next two seasons he finishes with 30 HR’s each season. You know as well as I do when he’s up for arbitration, his agent being able to go to the table saying “Yermin hit 30 HR’s in his first three seasons” is going to earn his client more money than 29-30-30. As stupid as that sounds, it’s true. 

So Yermin is supposed to cost himself 500k because he is “supposed to place nice” and “respect the game” because that’s what they did in the 70’s? Absolutely insane

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I will say I think there is more backlash to a backlash for Yermins home run then there was actual backlash. Seems like everyone was ok with it except the announcer saying he didn't like it, but that was hour 4 of a beat down so I give them a break.

Was just going to come here and say this, no one but the announcers said anything and every one is just jerking themselves off about it at this point. It's bizarre. 

Now, if Yermin isn't in the lineup today...we have something to discuss

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

People are really stretching nothing out of a nothing video. The TLR hate train rolls on.

They just spent 10 minutes talking about it in the flagship station for the Sox. So direct your anger there. And he will be asked about it pregame, so I don’t know what else you want. 

3 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I watched that shot 4 or 5 times of them in the dugout, other than Giolito with a smirk on his face I'm not sure anybody had much visible emotion going on.  Eaton wasn't yelling or anything.  Mountain out of a molehill.

50 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Then he should blame his manager and his teammates for causing a position player to pitch. Yermin job is to hit the baseball and stay competitive with effort for 9 innings. It's not to show mercy or sympathy, this isn't little league.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

So is taking a walk more respectful? So that the next guy can hit a 2 run bomb.

These "unwritten rules" really mean "Im mad that im losing so don't give me a reason to throw a fit"

I'm not saying I agree. Just pointing out that the announcers didn't have a problem with the homerun, just swinging at the 3-0 pitch. His question was why they had a problem with it.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I'm not saying I agree. Just pointing out that the announcers didn't have a problem with the homerun, just swinging at the 3-0 pitch. His question was why they had a problem with it.

I would have to believe if Yermin had grounded out to SS nobody would have said anything about him swinging on 3-0.

34 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’m sorry but this is just beyond insane. You aren’t wrong in the sense that was the belief by the baby boomers, but it was wrong then and it’s wrong now. These are PAID, PROFESSIONAL athletes. This is how they make a living. 

Yermin is a perfect example here. Let’s say at the end of this year, he ends the season with 29 HR’s. The next two seasons he finishes with 30 HR’s each season. You know as well as I do when he’s up for arbitration, his agent being able to go to the table saying “Yermin hit 30 HR’s in his first three seasons” is going to earn his client more money than 29-30-30. As stupid as that sounds, it’s true. 

So Yermin is supposed to cost himself 500k because he is “supposed to place nice” and “respect the game” because that’s what they did in the 70’s? Absolutely insane

Your venting at the wrong person. I was just explaining why the announcers didn't like it and what they didn't like about it.

41 minutes ago, Tony said:

Can you share the link to the video, please?  

57 minutes ago, skooch said:

You're making the mistake of not considering the "unwritten rules of baseball". Some would say Mercedes was embarrassing the Twins by kicking them when they were just trying to end the game and save their bullpen. Others, like me, would insist that a position player who plays catcher and so clearly can throw more than 47 mph is in fact trying to embarrass the hitters by throwing that garbage up there. I'm sure the Twins bench got a big kick out of the first two hitters of the ninth embarrassing themselves.  It's one thing if you put in a shortstop and he throws in the low 80s, at least he's giving it his best effort. But what the Twins did last night was totally bush league. You throw *that* crap up there and I have no sympathy.

There's something you said and a few others have said that isn't quite right.

Just because  Astudillo was throwing an Eephus pitch doesn't mean he is trying to embarrass a hitter. All he is doing is trying to throw strikes and not get injured. Sure he could throw it harder. He had an earlier pitch that was 75 MPH but there's really no need for him to give max effort and risk his arm. Some position players have actually hurt their arm pitching in relief (Jose Canseco).

At that point he's just hoping he gets lucky enough to record some outs and get the hell off the mound. It wasn't bush league on the Twins part at all and neither was Mercedes swinging on 3-0. There was no trying to embarrass the other team on either side. Now how the Twins respond today is something different. If they hit Mercedes with a pitch or any other Sox hitter early in the game then I would consider it bush league.

Just now, T R U said:

I would have to believe if Yermin had grounded out to SS nobody would have said anything about him swinging on 3-0.

The announcers specifically commented on the 3-0 swing. Take it however you want.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Your venting at the wrong person. I was just explaining why the announcers didn't like it and what they didn't like about it.

I know, I tried to make that point by saying You aren't wrong it's a belief the boomers have. I know you were just trying to add some reference. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Can you share the link to the video, please?  

This was what they were talking about on the radio. Around the 16 second mark, LaRussa is in the bottom left. He seems "emotional" about something..

1 hour ago, Kalapse said:

This, to me, is one of the keys. The entire point of the eephus pitch is to fool and embarrass the batter but inducing a big whiff, I don't give a shit if he's a position player or it's a 3-0 count, turn about is fair play.

The entire point of an eephus pitch from a normal pitcher is the same as the point of any other pitch which is to disrupt the hitters timing (fool them) and get an out or a swing and a miss. If a pitcher could throw a pitch every time that makes the hitter miss that's the goal, not to embarrass anyone. This is what pitching is all about.

From a position player who is throwing almost all eephus pitches he's not trying to fool or embarrass anyone. He just wants to get the fuck off the mound without hurting his arm. He knows damn well he's either going to get lucky and record a few outs or get lit up like a Christmas tree.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

This was what they were talking about on the radio. Around the 16 second mark, LaRussa is in the bottom left. He seems "emotional" about something..

Hah, yeah.  Thanks for sharing.  Hard to tell for sure, but he definitely looked upset.  Based on Yermin's solemn face after the game, the Eaton-talk, and this clip, I think its fair to assume not everyone in the Sox dugout was supportive.  Which is super fucking dumb.