And that's a 16-4 White Sox winner!

chitownsportsfan

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Looked like the ole "what are you gonna do" motion followed by a "fuck off" to the Twins to me.

I don't know what it was. I'm not saying he was upset at Yermin because I don't know. But I'm curious to find out. 

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

I know, I tried to make that point by saying You aren't wrong it's a belief the boomers have. I know you were just trying to add some reference. 

The game has definitely changed and the key point being about money. The position player pitching won't effect anything for him.

Mercedes getting a homerun adding to his stats or a strikeout added to them can make a difference.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

The game has definitely changed and the key point being about money. The position player pitching won't effect anything for him.

Mercedes getting a homerun adding to his stats or a strikeout added to them can make a difference.

Correct...which is why it's insane to think there is a time where Mercedes should keep his bat on his shoulder when a meatball comes in...

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hah, yeah.  Thanks for sharing.  Hard to tell for sure, but he definitely looked upset.  Based on Yermin's solemn face after the game, the Eaton-talk, and this clip, I think its fair to assume not everyone in the Sox dugout was supportive.  Which is super fucking dumb.  

It is super fucking dumb. Support your players and team mates always when they do good. You don't have a bat in your hand to make outs. You throw the ball and my job is to hit the ball hard on any pitch. Any player can get injured for life at any moment. If that happens next for Yermin I'd want my memories to include a HR in my last AB.

4 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

This is why it's not crazy to assume LaRussa had an issue with Yermin...I should also add that I'm very critical of LaRussa but if he takes issue with Yermin, it's really not even that big of a deal to me. Because it's not surprising in the least. It's what you expect with an "old school" manager...

Just now, bmags said:

Glad we found the enemies who were against Yermin hitting a home run: The White Sox.

Sorry I'm out on this. This is the most manufactured sports talk radio story I've ever seen.

I think you're putting too much weight on this. All we are talking about is the dumb Twins announcer....and if LaRussa possibly took issue with it. Again, we'll probably find out later today. Aside from that, we're just talking about a topic that comes up from time to time in baseball. 

Just now, Tony said:

This is why it's not crazy to assume LaRussa had an issue with Yermin...

That video of the different angle of the Yermin HR just oozes TLR waving at Yermin like "wtf are you doin?" . It's shitty we're even having these doubts tbh. "cHaNgE tHe GaMe" tho

Just now, Tony said:

I think you're putting too much weight on this. All we are talking about is the dumb Twins announcer....and if LaRussa possibly took issue with it. Again, we'll probably find out later today. Aside from that, we're just talking about a topic that comes up from time to time in baseball. 

Here's what is actually a bit annoying to me though. The pendulum swung really hard from "it's insane that baseball allows pitchers to potentially ruin a hitters career because he celebrated a home run" to shouting down anyone that doesn't treat any showboating or "against the hidden rules" hit like this as a positive good.

If the Twins hit Yermin tomorrow, that's bull shit. But like, I mainly just want Madison Bumgarner to not hit batters anymore...but I don't need him to be like "YAY I love your spirit!" if someone bat flips him.

Maybe I'm confronting "the conversation" too much, but it is getting a bit ridiculous that on twitter and here there are 500 "nobody should be mad at Yermin" to ...anyone being mad at Yermin.

Maybe we won that conversation and should just let it be at this point.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, bmags said:

dan hayes article from yesterday - only quotes from twins about how twins are disappointing, not a word on the home run

https://theathletic.com/2595870/2021/05/18/were-not-very-good-right-now-twins-sink-deeper-after-ugly-emotional-loss/

gonna post this again - not a word from the twins players about Yermin, just about all of them disappointed they are playing like crap.

6 minutes ago, flavum said:

This is all just so stupid. Everyone on both teams were trying to get that game over as fast as possible at that point. If Tony, Eaton, or anyone in the Twins dugout are complaining, let it go man!

This is part of the point that some people have an issue with. Mercedes wasn't trying to get the game over with as fast as possible. He was still trying to extend the game and add to his stats. 

58 minutes ago, Tony said:

So there is chatter now that both LaRussa and Eaton were upset with Yermin and the HR. There is video floating out there of LaRussa visibly upset after the HR. I guess he is going to be asked about it pregame...be very interesting to hear his answer. 

This is the type of thing that should merit a meeting with Kenny Williams and Hahn to tell LaRussa they want him support Yermin in every way possible with all the reasons they can muster. Yermin's job is to hit . That's why he has a bat in his hand I don't care about the count or the score . My goal is to win ball games. You see crazy stuff in baseball all the time you never saw before. Who is to say they don't come up with 12 runs to tie it up ? It's very unlikely but if you gave me a choice of having a 12 or 13 run lead , I'll take 13 , thank you. I don't think it was disrespectful at all. You tell me what a player is supposed to do when he's up there in that situation ? Swing and miss? Make an out on purpose ? Take a pitch ? Then what ? This isn't about respect, it's about winning and my players never giving less than their best effort.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

If the game is to the point batters aren't allowed to swing, maybe they need a slaughter rule. Some  say putting a position player on the mound is not respecting the game.

You're taking it to the extreme and missing the point. It's not that they aren't allowed. It's within the rules. Most were just trying to get the game over with. What would be your take if the Robert injury happened when they were leading 16-4? Would you call him stupid for trying that hard with that lead? 

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Here's what is actually a bit annoying to me though. The pendulum swung really hard from "it's insane that baseball allows pitchers to potentially ruin a hitters career because he celebrated a home run" to shouting down anyone that doesn't treat any showboating or "against the hidden rules" hit like this as a positive good.

If the Twins hit Yermin tomorrow, that's bull shit. But like, I mainly just want Madison Bumgarner to not hit batters anymore...but I don't need him to be like "YAY I love your spirit!" if someone bat flips him.

Maybe I'm confronting "the conversation" too much, but it is getting a bit ridiculous that on twitter and here there are 500 "nobody should be mad at Yermin" to ...anyone being mad at Yermin.

Maybe we won that conversation and should just let it be at this point.

I'm not following here? Sorry, I've been known to be an idiot. 

6 minutes ago, T R U said:

If he was told not to swing and did anyways, sure be upset. I can at least understand that. 

LaRussa would have been wrong to tell him not to swing......BUT you're right that Tony would still have a valid reason to be upset with Yermin for not following commands. Both parties would be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is part of the point that some people have an issue with. Mercedes wasn't trying to get the game over with as fast as possible. He was still trying to extend the game and add to his stats. 

Problem is that even the best hitters make out 7 out of 10 times . Pad my stats all I can every time. Anyone that wants me to just swing at anything or make an out on purpose can kiss my ass. I understand you're just explaining how other's feel about it but this is my opinion . What's your true opinion ?

Just now, Tony said:

I'm not following here? Sorry, I've been known to be an idiot. 

It's okay for people to say "I don't like showboating or bat flips".

It's not okay for them to throw a 95 mph fastball at a player for doing it.

We've largely reduced the throwing at players for batflipping, and people have carried the same energy into people just saying "I don't like it". People can dislike it!

Just now, Tony said:

LaRussa would have been wrong to tell him not to swing......BUT you're right that Tony would still have a valid reason to be upset with Yermin for not following commands. Both parties would be wrong. 

Yeah I wouldn’t agree with that call, play the game until it’s over. I don’t think that’s what happened anyways but it would at least be a valid complaint if it did.