And that's a 16-4 White Sox winner!

chitownsportsfan

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Problem is that even the best hitters make out 7 out of 10 times . Pad my stats all I can every time. Anyone that wants me to just swing at anything or make an out on purpose can kiss my ass. I understand you're just explaining how other's feel about it but this is my opinion . What's your true opinion ?

I don't have a problem with the "respect" issue, I guess you would call it. My problem would be the chance of getting injured when they are already missing Eloy, Robert and Abreu. The game was decided just get it over with.

Just now, ptatc said:

I don't have a problem with the "respect" issue, I guess you would call it. My problem would be the chance of getting injured when they are already missing Eloy, Robert and Abreu. The game was decided just get it over with.

I'm a true believer that it's not over till it's over. This is not any other sport where its impossible to win just because of the clock.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm a true believer that it's not over till it's over. This is not any other sport where its impossible to win just because of the clock.

I agree in most games. Not in a 16-4 game in the 9th. I've just too many injuries happen in situations like that where it isn't necessary. The Sox would be in a really difficult position if they lost him too. 

If the issue is some nebulous nonsense about "respect for the game," or respect for the opponent, then where is the respect in putting a position player on the mound to throw a 47 MPH "pitch"? One could argue that such an act is disrespecting the Sox and Mercedes. After all, it could just as easily be considered insulting to the batter; "Here is what we think of your ability to hit". Do fans really pay to see a non pitcher throwing a ball slower than a 16 inch softball player? If teams are going to save their bullpens with such nonsense, then don't ask a hitter to embarrass himself, by failing to produce against such a pathetic pitch. Who would be disrespected and embarrassed more; the hitter who can't hit a 47 mph lob toss, or the position player, who gives up a home run? If it were me, I'd rather be the guy who someone hit a homer off of my ridiculous lob toss, than the hitter who struck out on such a pathetic pitch.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I agree in most games. Not in a 16-4 game in the 9th. I've just too many injuries happen in situations like that where it isn't necessary. The Sox would be in a really difficult position if they lost him too. 

You know we see things all the time in baseball that never happened before. We just had one pitcher break the record for most K's without a walk and then a few days later that record was broken again. I sure don't want to be the team that loses an 11 run lead in the 9th for the 1st time in baseball history. (15-4 at the time of the Mercedes bomb)

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You know we see things all the time in baseball that never happened before. We just had one pitcher break the record for most K's without a walk and then a few days later that record was broken again. I sure don't want to be the team that loses an 11 run lead in the 9th for the 1st time in baseball history. (15-4 at the time of the Mercedes bomb)

To each his own.

22 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If the issue is some nebulous nonsense about "respect for the game," or respect for the opponent, then where is the respect in putting a position player on the mound to throw a 47 MPH "pitch"? One could argue that such an act is disrespecting the Sox and Mercedes. After all, it could just as easily be considered insulting to the batter; "Here is what we think of your ability to hit". Do fans really pay to see a non pitcher throwing a ball slower than a 16 inch softball player? If teams are going to save their bullpens with such nonsense, then don't ask a hitter to embarrass himself, by failing to produce against such a pathetic pitch. Who would be disrespected and embarrassed more; the hitter who can't hit a 47 mph lob toss, or the position player, who gives up a home run? If it were me, I'd rather be the guy who someone hit a homer off of my ridiculous lob toss, than the hitter who struck out on such a pathetic pitch.

This was expressed beautifully. I really don't care how the Twins reacted to it. I enjoyed watching the Mercedes homer sail over the 411 mark.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

You're taking it to the extreme and missing the point. It's not that they aren't allowed. It's within the rules. Most were just trying to get the game over with. What would be your take if the Robert injury happened when they were leading 16-4? Would you call him stupid for trying that hard with that lead? 

But that is BS. In the bottom of the ninth, the Twins hitters were trying to get hits. Or were they just being disrespectful?

There are unwritten rules that make sense, but any unwritten rule that basically tells you not to try is BS. People are paying a lot of money to watch you play.

And how does his swinging at the pitch make the game longer? If he took it for a strike, or walked, the amount of pitches will be at least equal but most likely greater.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

An event not completely dissimilar to that happened to the Sox in Texas a few years back and completely derailed their season. 

Score 30 runs if you want to. 

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Then he should blame his manager and his teammates for causing a position player to pitch. Yermin job is to hit the baseball and stay competitive with effort for 9 innings. It's not to show mercy or sympathy, this isn't little league.

They keep letting him pitch and throw 48 mph fastballs and he’s going to get creamed by a liner up the middle

• Like 1

The apparent Eaton scolding pisses me off more than TLR.  TLR is the manager and sets the tone for the team.  If he doesn't want his guys swinging 3-0 up 11 runs, well, that's his clubhouse and he sets the rules.

Eaton?  He's a veteran but he's not a leader on this team.  Worry about your own damn at-bats and find a way to stay healthy, Adam. That's on guys like Yoan, TA, and Jose to manage, not some scrub white guy who's been with the team less than 2 months.   

4 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

The apparent Eaton scolding pisses me off more than TLR.  TLR is the manager and sets the tone for the team.  If he doesn't want his guys swinging 3-0 up 11 runs, well, that's his clubhouse and he sets the rules.

Eaton?  He's a veteran but he's not a leader on this team.  Worry about your own damn at-bats and find a way to stay healthy, Adam. That's on guys like Yoan, TA, and Jose to manage, not some scrub white guy who's been with the team less than 2 months.   

How do you know Tony didn’t tell Eaton to talk with him

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Tony is a complete clown show fuck stick if he told yermin to not try hard because it was late. This would he exactly the concerns people had hiring a geezer to be the manager with this fun and exciting team. 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Tony is a complete clown show fuck stick if he told yermin to not try hard because it was late. 

Agreed, but ultimately he's the manager and, because of that, he has every right to make an example out of Yermin.  You and I may hate it, but it's his team and he runs it how he sees fit.  I mean, I imagine most on this board immediately thought that that dong would be controversial the moment it came off Yermin's bat.  We all knew it flew in the face of the "unwritten rules".  Personally, I loved it.  But I don't manage the team.

10 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I'm not his biggest fan but this is just incorrect. People don't wanna accept the fact that Eaton is actually considered by those that matter most (the players) to be a leader on this team. There are several players that absolutely look to him to set an example and, like it or not, it's why he was brought in and for the most part he's done that well. 

2 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Agreed, but ultimately he's the manager and, because of that, he has every right to make an example out of Yermin.  You and I may hate it, but it's his team and he runs it how he sees fit.  I mean, I imagine most on this board immediately thought that that dong would be controversial the moment it came off Yermin's bat.  We all knew it flew in the face of the "unwritten rules".  Personally, I loved it.  But I don't manage the team.

I didnt think it was controversial at all, I thought it was amazing he generated enough bat speed to hit a 47 mph pitch 110 mph.

1 minute ago, macsandz said:

I'm not his biggest fan but this is just incorrect. People don't wanna accept the fact that Eaton is actually considered by those that matter most (the players) to be a leader on this team. There are several players that absolutely look to him to set an example and, like it or not, it's why he was brought in and for the most part he's done that well. 

Based on what?

2 minutes ago, macsandz said:

Settle down, Drake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Here's what is actually a bit annoying to me though. The pendulum swung really hard from "it's insane that baseball allows pitchers to potentially ruin a hitters career because he celebrated a home run" to shouting down anyone that doesn't treat any showboating or "against the hidden rules" hit like this as a positive good.

If the Twins hit Yermin tomorrow, that's bull shit. But like, I mainly just want Madison Bumgarner to not hit batters anymore...but I don't need him to be like "YAY I love your spirit!" if someone bat flips him.

Maybe I'm confronting "the conversation" too much, but it is getting a bit ridiculous that on twitter and here there are 500 "nobody should be mad at Yermin" to ...anyone being mad at Yermin.

Maybe we won that conversation and should just let it be at this point.

Idk, man I think any shows of emotion that aren't any active danger and idk not significantly slowing the game down, is absolutely a positive good vs. stoicism. I don't need Madison Bumgarner to like it, if he wants to go out, k the guy, and MF him all the way back to the dugout, I think that's cool too. 

But yeah, people are arguing with nobody currently. 

14 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I don't but I seriously doubt Tony would've delegated that responsibility to Eaton.  

I would have been shocked if it was anyone but Eaton. As bucket says below, it’s one of main reasons he was brought in.